Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Ali_G
Beginner October 2012

Fire drill.

Ali_G, 21 of August of 2012 at 11:05 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 14

Haha!

Every Tuesday, we have a fire drill. The maintenance guy says over the tannoy "Staff announcement, we are about to test the fire alarms, please do not take any action." ...

Fire alarm goes off....

People start evactuating...

I was like, what? huh? it's just a drill.

20 seconds later, there's another tannoy.

"Staff announcement. IT WAS JUST A TEST, you did not have to take any action."

? Donuts.

14 replies

Latest activity by Robort125, 1 of May of 2024 at 06:18
  • cinnamonfairy
    Rockstar June 2020
    cinnamonfairy ·
    • Hide content

? The same thing happens on a Friday here, except we don't get a tannoy.

We all look up from our desks thinking 'is it a test? is it the real deal?'. Then people start to pick up their bags.

Then it stops.

But it's the same thing week in, week out.

• Pompey
    Beginner June 2012
    Pompey ·
    • Hide content

We have numpties here too. Because it's such a big building (a fire in core 6 would not effect core 1, etc) we have intermittent and full fire alarms. Intermittent is a 'beep, beep, beep, beep' every second or so and Full is 'WOOOOWOOOOWOOOOWOOOWWOOOOOWOOOO'. Very easy to tell the difference. On intermittent you do not evacuate, it's just a warning. But people do. I'll be the only one still sat there with my bag on my desk ready to go, calm.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Ours is going off at the moment, they test at 11:30am every Tuesday. There is a automated announcement at the start, saying "This is a fire alarm test, please do not take any action". Then, the real fire alarm sounds which obviously tells people to evacuate the building. Haven't seen anyone do it yet though.

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

I think ours gets tested maybe once a year if that? It's very very short when they do test it, so not on for long enough for people to actually leave.

We're obviously lazy in our office, it went off for real last week and we all sat around for a good couple of minutes before reluctantly packing up and filing out.

We don't have patients in our wing, but when I started working here, the alarm went off in our wing and the neighbouring wing and they had to wheel out the poor patients in their nightgowns! It was freezing cold as well!

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

We have to have one every 2 terms (I think) and the last one they chose to put on a staff INSET day so there was just 100 staff standing around looking baffled, as our duties during fire drill is to register the kids and line them up and to check that all tutor groups go to their correct area. Totally pointless with no children in!

• ~Peanut~
    Beginner December 2012
    ~Peanut~ ·
    • Hide content

I really hope we never have a fire alarm when I'm on the ward, the evacuating patients training was bad enough, I properly did my back in!

• *Nursey*
    Beginner May 2012
    *Nursey* ·
    • Hide content

Our fire alarms are tested every Tuesday too.

I really hope we never get a fire on a Tuesday or I'll ignore it!

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Haha me too!

We have a practice drill every 6 months, and you always know when it's gonna happen because they don't test the alarms on the Tuesday.

• Rod
    Beginner
    Rod ·
    • Hide content

Ours gets tested every tuesday too, and this morning, off it goes. and the man i sit next to, asks 'is this just a test' like he does EVERY tuesday and I snapped 'yes' like i do EVERY tuesday.

Fire alarm goes on....and on....and on....for about a minute longer than normal...and a voice annouces that this is an emergecy and we need to leave.

We all got evacuated. I apologised to my colleague!!

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

We have an alarm test at 11am every wednesday and a full evacuation test once a quarter.

We had a full alarm a few weeks ago, fire brigade showed up... turns out one of the departments had a toaster, nestled in between some files and folders

*facepalm*

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

Haha Rod! ?

• *JLS*
    Beginner July 2012
    *JLS* ·
    • Hide content

The fire alarm should really be tested once a week - we test each of our call points in turn to make sure they all work. There should be a full evacuation every year and some places also do 6 monthly ones. As much as I try to get the weather to behave itself, I have had people outside in the rain!!

We had an evacuation at one of our buildings because someone had decided to put a biscuit?! into the microwave!!!

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Jesus, my company would have had a full meltdown over this!

We have 2 a week! Each time they seem to go on that bit longer so you are not quite sure if its the real deal or not.

Even worse in HR as we need to lock everything away before we leave the building so we end up just chucking stuff in our drawers etc as we go.

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I know what you mean!

As a result the CEO banned all toasters from the building... only to walk round 2 days later and find another one still plugged in!!!!!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics