Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Z
Curious June 2022 Lisboa

First dance

Zoe, 9 of June of 2022 at 09:30 Posted on Planning 1 15
We have just over 3 weeks until our wedding and we’re dreading the first dance! We practiced last night and whilst it was very funny, it was also awful! What do?!

15 replies

Latest activity by Ostira, 27 of July of 2022 at 23:25
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

There's no law that says you have to have a first dance, so if it's causing you stress, feel free to drop it completely. Or, if you still want to have something, ask your parents, siblings or wedding party to join you for the first dance, so that you are sharing the spotlight.

But if having a first dance is important to you, then go ahead. I have yet to see a first dance that wasn't either really bad (if they tried to do a 'real' dance) or boring (when they just shuffle round the floor), but it's never mattered, because dancing well is never what it's about. It's just a sentimental moment to mark your marriage. No one is going to be judging how you dance (or if they are, what are they doing at your wedding in the first place?) so don't worry how bad it is - just enjoy having fun with it.

• Yorkshirelass
    Super July 2022 Surrey
    Yorkshirelass ·
    • Hide content
    We are not doing a first dance as such as I find it so cringe! We have chosen a song we like together and will ask the DJ to start the song, we will get on the floor and then get DJ to announce not long into the song- please join the bride and groom on the dance floor! I have two daughters aged 12 and 14 and they are primed to get everyone up to join us.
  • Jane
    Dedicated June 2022 Bristol
    Jane ·
    • Hide content
    We’re in a similar position although we’ve got less time and haven't attempted a practice yet… we’ve chosen a song that ‘kicks in’ at about a minute and told all the BMs/GMs etc to get on the dance floor and bring others with them! So hopefully we’ll sway gently for a minute and then get the party started!
  • Z
    Curious June 2022 Lisboa
    Zoe ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I think we will have to do the same! Best of luck, have the best day x
  • Z
    Curious June 2022 Lisboa
    Zoe ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Good idea! x
  • Richard
    Dedicated May 2022 Berkshire
    Richard ·
    • Hide content
    Yeh get a dance that gets everyone joined in quite soon.... We had justin timberlake iv got a feeling as that was the song around when we first started dating... After a few awkward spins with the bride everyone was dancing
  • Jane
    Dedicated June 2022 Bristol
    Jane ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you! You too x
  • Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    If its not you skip it out save your energy for other stuff hope your day is amazing x 💗
  • PhotographybyBillHaddon
    Super January 3000 Leicestershire
    PhotographybyBillHaddon ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

"We are not doing a first dance as such as I find it so cringe! We have chosen a song we like together and will ask the DJ to start the song, we will get on the floor and then get DJ to announce not long into the song- please join the bride and groom on the dance floor!"

I think you will find that is called a first dance Smiley laugh Smiley laugh Smiley laugh Smiley laugh

But actually that is a good way to do it and a lot of my couples do it that way, or to completely change song after just 1 min to a dance floor filler with the dj announcing come and join them on the dance floor.

I always make sure I know what the couple plan so I either don't get caught out by a 30 second sway or I miss the big dirty dancing moment at the end Smiley xd

• Yorkshirelass
    Super July 2022 Surrey
    Yorkshirelass ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s true Bill! I keep thinking I must explain this to the DJ as well so he knows the plan! Haven’t told him yet.
  • PhotographybyBillHaddon
    Super January 3000 Leicestershire
    PhotographybyBillHaddon ·
    • Hide content

I'm sure the DJ will know the score and done it before. Its actually not very often that my couples do a whole song and the DJ either puts on a banging tune half way through and it "kicks off" or invites couples to join the bride and groom, in which case having some volunteers primed beforehand for this is a good idea.

• Sarah
    Dedicated October 2022 Swansea
    Sarah ·
    • Hide content

I am sure on the day, you'll just have fun and not worry about impressing anyone with your moves - as long as you're smiling it will be fine! If it helps, my partner and I have also decided to practice at home and just get comfortable with a few very basic steps so that the entrance and first 30 seconds is a little more co-ordinated. We've been following https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3zk6-ItZMc Duet Dance Studio on youtube (glass of wine and sense of humour recommended). We've just practiced a nice entrance and a few basic steps and a twirl so we feel a bit more confident. We are then priming the bridal party to step in and join us on the floor when the chorus hits. That way everyone else will be too busy dancing to see how uncoordinated we truly are for the rest of the dance! Best wishes for your day! x

• Lex
    Dedicated July 2023 West Yorkshire
    Lex ·
    • Hide content
    We’re doing 1 Minute of just us and then will be inviting parents, couples etc on to join us!
  • Z
    Curious June 2022 Lisboa
    Zoe ·
    • Hide content
    So we did it and was wonderful and the first dance was absolutely fine!
    First dance 1

• Ostira
    Dedicated October 2023 Durham
    Ostira ·
    • Hide content
    Your wedding day looks beautiful and you are absolutely stunning!! I’m so glad your first dance went well - nerves are understandable!
    Myself and my fiancé won’t be doing a first dance personally as we just don’t dance 😂

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics