Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Chippet
Beginner January 2014

First dance

Chippet, 21 December, 2012 at 20:23 Posted on Planning 0 9

Hello I'm new :waves:

Hope I'm posting in the right place. I've started planning bits and pieces in my head, though nothing is actually booked yet. Am struggling to decide on a first dance.

My fiancé is into punk rock, so would prefer something faster to dance to. I'm keen for something more unusual, but am into more alternative music (death cab for cutie, postal service). Can't seem to find something which suits us both, nor do we have a song that's 'ours'.

We're gonna take dance lessons prior to the wedding, so we aren't just swaying around, so the type of dance can easily be picked, depending on the pace of the song.

Does anyone have any more 'unusual' recommendations that might suit?

thanks x

9 replies

Latest activity by *Mini*, 23 December, 2012 at 10:56
  • Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

Hello, welcome to hitched! ?

Hmm, not too sure about the punky side of things, but have you thought of anything by Deftones or Taking Back Sunday? They both have pretty songs that are a little more energetic in parts?

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Our first dance was Hotel Yorba (The White Stripes). Our second first dance was Wrong 'Em Boyo (The Clash). We just jumped all over the place, no lessons required!

• S108HAN
    Beginner August 2013
    S108HAN ·
    • Hide content

Favourite punk love song ever: Baby I Love You by The Ramones but I am old school

• Snowby
    Beginner September 2013
    Snowby ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

?

• Chippet
    Beginner January 2014
    Chippet ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the suggestions, I've had a listen to Hotel Yorba and its nice and has quite a good rhythm, not sure whether my boyfriend fiancé will be keen on the white stripes though. Think ill get together a few suggestions before I put them to him, he's had ideas of his own, but I'm not keen on the lyrics.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Oh, I wasn't suggesting the White Stripes for you (although Fell In Love With A Girl might be more up your street), just to say that not all first dances are swaying or require dance lessons!

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

We had the same issue, husband likes punky,rock sort of music. Im much more Indie. We settled on a song either of us had thought about, didn't mean anything to us before the wedding but we have now given it meaning but having it as our fists dance.

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

Fist dance was Ben E King "Stand by Me" and the second was Huey Lewis and the News "The Power of Love", that got people dancing.

• Unlikley Bride
    Rockstar July 2013
    Unlikley Bride ·
    • Hide content

Sorry I can't really help you - other than to suggest one of the songs I had been considering 'This is the one' by The Stone Roses - not sure if they're your thing.

I've noticed more than one person has said that they had two songs - is this common practice now? Did you sort of finish your first dance then go straight into a second song or do it all over again later in the night?

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

Ah no, the second song was to get people up and dancing. Not for us.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics