Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B
Beginner September 2013

First Dance song issues......

BrogstarBride, 12 of October of 2012 at 21:31 Posted on Planning 0 20

What should your first dance song be? SHould it be a song you just both like? Or a song that means something to the two of you? Or should it be about the words in the song?

You see we picked our song Faith Hill - There You'll Be, as its a song we both liked, and meant something to the 2 of us, we are going to Hawaii for our Honeymoon and visiting Pearl Garbour and this song featured in Pearl Harbour the film.

However after closely reading the lyrics im not sure if its appropriate for a Love song ie first dance, as it kind of seems to me that its about someone when their gone?!

What are your thoughts?

x

20 replies

Latest activity by ellebob, 13 of October of 2012 at 22:59
  • K
    Beginner January 2012
    kellouloud ·
    • Hide content

It should be your song ! Everyone has one ! ... Ours is starship Nothing gonna stop us know :-)

• K
    Beginner January 2012
    kellouloud ·
    • Hide content

It should be your song ! Everyone has one ! ... Ours is starship Nothing gonna stop us know :-)

• D
    Beginner October 2013
    Debs12xx ·
    • Hide content

I love that song by Faith Hill BUT it is about someone dying. I think though you can make it about what you want if it is relevant to you? We are undecided on our first dance as we don't have a song really. My song to him is 'Bubbly' by Colbie Calliat, he doesn't have one to me, he listens to rubbish music lol We do both like 'Finally found someone' by Bryan Adams and Barbra Streisand, all the words in that song are really relevant, we started out as friends and it started out as coffee (stayed there for bloody months too lol) so maybe you could find a song that you like the words of instead? But I still think if that song is 'your' song then it's relevant enough to you to use it x

• C
    Beginner April 2013
    Callalily ·
    • Hide content

Me and my H2B don't have a song and never have, well we both used to like the dance tune My My My when we used to go clubbing 8 years ago! So in our situation we both tell the other if we think there is a good song and listen to it but rule it out if we don't like all the lyrics!! At the moment I am really liking Better by Tom Baxter as I do feel my H2B makes my days better and he likes the song too. I like Amazed by Lonestar but my H2B doesn't like the fact everyone else has it and wanted a less known song. I also love Michael Buble and his music but my H2B ruled him out!!

Basically as we didn't already have a song as a couple we are looking for an appropriate first dance song that isn't over used, that we like the lyrics of and think we would be happy dancing together to. One of my friends found her song too slow to dance to!!

I love the song There You'll Be by Faith Hill and did think about it as a wedding song when my sister and I were listening to love songs on youtube but when we played it we both started crying! So as much as I love the song it makes me sad as it is about love and the support she got from her partner who she looses. I think I find it harder as associate the song with the film and my H2B is a pilot for the forces. However if you both love the song then have it as it is lovely.

• rubyfirecracker
    Beginner November 2013
    rubyfirecracker ·
    • Hide content

I want ours to be the countdown theme ? or at least walk down the aisle to it!

You could go with something ironic... Still havent found what I'm looking for maybe? Hehe

• Poppy14
    Beginner April 2014
    Poppy14 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Haha that's brilliant!!

We joke about having the funky gibbon by the goodies but we're not that far into our planning for it to be too serious.......yet!

• rubyfirecracker
    Beginner November 2013
    rubyfirecracker ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I double dare you!

I was on countdown (I don't like to bang on about it though. I hardly ever mention it) so I feel I should Smiley winking

• Sarah-March-2013
    Beginner March 2013
    Sarah-March-2013 ·
    • Hide content

Ours is best friend by queen. I picked it alone which might make the sentiment invalid.

But if OH picked it, it would be Another Level "let me lick you up and down" sooo, I feel I must make the final call on this one!!

• D
    Beginner October 2013
    Debs12xx ·
    • Hide content

LOL Sarah, that's a great choice, let him have it hahaha

• B
    Beginner September 2013
    Blondilocks ·
    • Hide content

I don't think people really pay much attention to the words so I'd go with a song u like.

I have a similar problem and I really don't want a first dance. We have a song but I don't even remember how or why it is our song and I don't even like it. It makes me cringe! I must add that I'm not really a fan of mushy songs plus we can't dance the well so it will just be a total embarrassment. I am trying to find a pop song / dance track that is very very short but otherwise I'm not dancing!

• ellebob
    Beginner February 2013
    ellebob ·
    • Hide content

I think first choice would be something that means something to you, but it a couple don't have 'a song' then they find one with lyrics that suit them. People will be focussed on you rather than the lyrics on the day!

We couldn't decide between 2 so we've asked my sister to sing the more lyrical one at the ceremony so people will be focused on it, then we're having the more dancey one for first dance.

• O
    Beginner September 2013
    oggers86 ·
    • Hide content

We dont have a song either which made it really hard. I trawled through hundreds of songs and think we have settled on Jason Mraz: I wont give up as it fits really well although I also like Micheal Buble: Everything.

We are not a mushy couple at all so its hard finding something that doesnt make us want to roll our eyes ?

• tinasharp
    Beginner February 2013
    tinasharp ·
    • Hide content

I just go for a song that is relevant to our wedding and meaningful to us too. We have chosen On this day, lovely words

• M
    Beginner January 2012
    manic_cow ·
    • Hide content

We're having the same problem, we're both massive music fans but don't really like anything that's a) lyrically appropriate b) slow enough to dance to and c) short enough that we won't have to dance for long with everyone staring!

I tried to convince OH we should have 10:03 by Doves which starts off lovely and slow but would involve us jumping about at the end, he's not going for it though.

Our current frontrunners are Paul Weller - You Do Something To Me and REM - Strange Currencies. The lyrics aren't particularly fitting on either of those songs though. Here's hoping Soundgarden's new album has a suitable ballad! ?

What we might do is tell people to join us on the dancefloor halfway through the song or something, that way if we end up finding a longer song which we like we won't be so bothered about people watching us dance.

• LoveSka
    Beginner October 2011
    LoveSka ·
    • Hide content

You should should just have what ever you want for your own reasons (not much help I know).

My niece sang 'Make you feel my love' by Adele, as me and the bridesmaids walked in. If you listen to the lyrics it's basically a woman begging a bloke to give her a chance,, bit needy if you ask me?

• M
    Beginner January 2012
    manic_cow ·
    • Hide content

I love Make You Feel My Love, although I prefer the original Bob Dylan version to Adele's version. I think you're right though, if a song has a nice melody you can probably get away with the lyrics not necessarily fitting.

• T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

Whatever you choose, play it beforehand & actually try dancing to it with your OH.

A song I had in mind just couldnt be danced to. I then went through 2nd & 3rd choices & found them either too fast or slow. I then used 'our song' to cut the cake & just found something we could dance to & I also liked as the 1st dance.

• Soon2bMrsCB
    Beginner July 2014
    Soon2bMrsCB ·
    • Hide content

We are having Jason Mraz 'im yours' we love it as it has great memories attached, we camper vaned the Gold Coast in Oz and the radio in the van didnt work so we found a garage in the outback and his album was the only one they had for sale! listened to it non stop for 7 days, got sick to death of it but this song just takes us back to a very happy time (im not too sure its not about a one night stand mind!!) but love it and its up beat!

• rubyfirecracker
    Beginner November 2013
    rubyfirecracker ·
    • Hide content

Who's that Sarmar? I'm a beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeg CD nerd so might know them Smiley smile

• ellebob
    Beginner February 2013
    ellebob ·
    • Hide content

That's what my sister's singing at the ceremony, because I used to listen to it and think about OH before we got together. But I used to think the lyrics fitted how OH felt about me so it wasn't me being needy! ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics