Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

LizBjk
Beginner May 2007

First smear test tomorrow, and I really don't want to go.

LizBjk, 8 June, 2009 at 22:12 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 23

I'm absolutely petrified and feel sick at the thought. I know I'm being stupid, but I really really don't want it done. I know I'm being selfish, I'm just so scared. ?

23 replies

Latest activity by Caro 2004, 9 June, 2009 at 12:56
  • QueenBee
    Beginner November 2008
    QueenBee ·
    • Hide content

Liz its dead easy and you dont feel a thing.

i've got to go for one soon and i think its about the 5th one i've had. The nurse usually talks away whilst doing them and there is nothing to be worried about.

good luck, hope all goes well

• July
    July ·
    • Hide content

I know it won't help saying you really have nothing to worry about. I've just had one done a few weeks ago and honestly I was in and out again in 10 minutes and that was getting a blood test taken too.

• SophieM
    SophieM ·
    • Hide content

There really is nothing to it, Liz. You'll be fine. I'd take 10 nsmears rather than one dentist appointment, and I have excellent teeth ?

• Maxi
    Beginner February 2008
    Maxi ·
    • Hide content

Nobody, but nobody likes getting a smear test.

But, like most things that people dread once it is over with you think, wtf was I worried about?

The person doing the smear does them day in day out.

Just imagine the feeling when it is all over and done with, instant relief. Then when you receive the confirmation that everything is A-Ok a few weeks after, total relief.

Go, then this time tomorrow night you can feel smug that you've been and conquered your fear.

• moomin8804
    Beginner July 2009
    moomin8804 ·
    • Hide content

I had my first one about 2 months ago. I was the same as you, in fact my OH had to drive me there because if i would have driven there myself, i would have just sat in the car park and not gone in!

Before going in i felt physically sick, but the nurse was really nice, and she goes through every step with you, shows you diagrams etc to put your mind at ease. It didn't hurt though and it was done in about 3 minutes and the embarrassment was quickly over!

I wore a skirt and the nurse let me keep it on to make me feel a bit more covered. After the initial embarrassment it really wasn't that bad! The whole way through i just kept saying to myself that my long term health was worth 5 minutes of embarrassment and discomfort.

You will be ok, the worrying is far worse than the actual smear.

• LizBjk
    Beginner May 2007
    LizBjk ·
    • Hide content

Thank you. So sorry for being so needy. I'm just so worried. I'm worried it'll hurt but most of all I'm petrified it'll come back as abnormal. This is what happens when you avoid them for so long. Nearly 7 years my gp has been chasing me to have one done. ? I'm such an idiot. I'm going to go, I'm just really wish I didn't have to. I have given birth twice, yet the way I'm feeling now I'd rather give birth to two babies at once than have a smear test done. Gah. Why do us women have all the shit.

• pink alien
    Beginner May 2008
    pink alien ·
    • Hide content

I had my first one recently and I was terrified. But it was really fine. I told the nurse it was my first one and she was lovely - explained everything she was doing. It was uncomfortable and obviously a bit embarassing to have someone looking at your bits - but she was used to it and it was OK.

Worth doing when you think about what might happen if things are missed, and I wouldn't lose any sleep over having another one IYSWIM?

Big hugs though. I made my OH take me out to dinner after it, so maybe make sure you have something nice to look forward to as a reward for doing it!!

• July
    July ·
    • Hide content

I don't know about anyone else, but what I do is put my hands under my bum, it instantly relaxes you and you don't feel so tense.

I haven't had children but I think I would rather have a smear test done than give birth. lol

honestly, you will be fine and as others have said, you will wonder what all the fuss was about afterwards.

• R-A
    Beginner July 2008
    R-A ·
    • Hide content

Lots of good advice above. Advice from the 'business end' : the most important thing is deep, slow breaths and making sure your bum muscles are really relaxed.

I'm a bit of an old hippy but I try to talk patients through a bit of a visualisation when I'm doing smears - I always say "imagine you're lying on a lovely beach somewhere... listen to the waves breaking..... can you order me a cocktail at the bar...." ?

It shouldn't take long at all and I'm sure it'll be better than you expected. Will you update us?

You'll be fine ?

• J
    Beginner May 2003
    Janna ·
    • Hide content

Well you wouldn't relish the thought of jumping out of a second storey window, but you'd gladly do it if it saved your life, wouldn't you? This is the same, you're doing something which isn't lovely that could save your life. Try and get in to that frame of mind.

You'll be grand.

• Cosmopolitan
    Beginner August 2010
    Cosmopolitan ·
    • Hide content

Liz I was exactly the same as you. I'm 27 and had never had a smear up until February, my GP even through me off the list as I wouldn't go for one!

Anyway, my mum had cervical cancer last year and with the Jade Goody story I was convinced that my results were going to come back abnormal. The only thing that gave me comfort was that my mum was having heavy bleeds and stomach cramps which led to her diagnosis and I didn't have any symptoms at all. However, I'M NOT saying that this means you're fine it just gave me a bit of comfort.

I cried for a week leading up to my appointment (yes, I'm that dramatic!). When I got there my blood pressure was sky high and this is from someone who has low blood pressure. Anyway, the lady could see how anxious I was and really helped to calm me down. She also used the small spatula (sp?!) which helped.

I can honestly say I didn't feel any discomfort at all. In fact, I thought she was still putting the spatula/speculum (what are they called?!) in when she had actually finished. It was such a relief and I can honestly say I won't even think about going to my next one.

Really hope it goes well. Come back and update us when you're done ?

• Mrs Jellybaby1977
    Beginner September 2008
    Mrs Jellybaby1977 ·
    • Hide content

Good Luck for today - I've had mine this morning. I was in and out in 5 minutes.

Sx

• Hepburn
    Beginner August 2008
    Hepburn ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

WQBS

It really doesn't hurt, I've had about 4 now and think I may be due another at the end of this year. The nurse will talk to you and you'll hardly notice it. It'll be over in no time.

Hope it goes well, please try not to worry xx

• Hepburn
    Beginner August 2008
    Hepburn ·
    • Hide content

I've been having them since I was about 19. Perhaps it depends on your doctors surgery?

• Flaming Nora
    Beginner May 2003
    Flaming Nora ·
    • Hide content

Liz, take a couple of paracetamol before you go. Hope you're feeling better about it this morning x

• Smint
    Beginner June 2007
    Smint ·
    • Hide content

Well my last one was really painful . . . .

. . . but that's because she caught one of my pubes in the metal contraption ?

The actual smear was completely painless and she was very apologetic about the impromptu depilation

Hope it goes well - I find a paracetomol half an hour before helps

• July
    July ·
    • Hide content

I had my first smear at 21, I'm now 36. I think it all changed a couple of years ago.

• LizBjk
    Beginner May 2007
    LizBjk ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone. ? Well I'm a drip, phoned the doctors just to make sure and my appointment isn't until thursday. Asked if they can fit me in today as I've got all worked up over it and they can't. So 9.40am on Thursday it is.

• ashke_again
    Beginner
    ashke_again ·
    • Hide content

IIRC, in Scotland, they start earlier when calling you in. I've had 3 since i was 20 with one retest but it was fine. I'm due for my next one in October...

Doesn't bother me and I've had warts frozen off from "down there" and that really stings and makes your eyes water!

• Mrs Geriatric
    Beginner September 2007
    Mrs Geriatric ·
    • Hide content

Were either of your labours induced? I found it a similar level of discomfort i.e a bit grim but I seem to have an offside tilted back cervix that many nurses seem to have trouble finding ? It must be done though, so good luck and try to relax (famous last words easier said than done with someones hand up your chuff!)

• Caro 2004
    Beginner
    Caro 2004 ·
    • Hide content

With my most recent smears, the nurse has asked me to cough as she inserts the thing (sorry, forgotten the name!) and that has helped a lot. I also find focusing on my breathing helps. You will probably find that the anticipation is worse than the experience ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics