Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

jenny18/11/11
Rockstar November 2011

First wedding dress appointment - excited but also really nervous!

jenny18/11/11, 21 September, 2010 at 18:47 Posted on Planning 0 10

I just booked an appointmnet today to go try on wedding dresses. This will be the first shop I have been too, and frankly I'm a bit scared. I've never been a really girly girl and I really don't enjoy shopping. I can't say I've got a particular idea of what I am looking for (although I think I have some ideas about things I'd rather avoid), and am likely to be going on my own as well so not going to be able to get a second opinion.

I'm not sure if there's anything I should take with me, what's the best sort of thing to wear when trying wedding dresses on, how long the average appointmnet would last, how many dresses you can expect to try on - I'm totally clueless. Just wondered if anyone can share their experiences of wedding dress shopping so I can get a bit more idea what to expect.

10 replies

Latest activity by cassmk2, 21 September, 2010 at 19:27
  • Allgold78
    Beginner October 2011
    Allgold78 ·
    • Hide content

Ooh how exciting. Ok, go with an open mind - the dress I went for I would never have tried on (my MOH convinced me to try it) so you never know! Try things on even if you know you won't like it. At least then you'll get a good picture of what you like and don't like and the styles that'll suit you. I would recommend taking a good friend or family member with you if you can - although I can't speak for every sales assistant you don't know that you'll get an honest opinion from them and I trust my MOH completely and knew I'd get an honest reaction from her.

Tbh don't worry about underwear too much. I just had standard bra and knickers on.

Go for your life, try loads on. I was there for about an hour, tried heaps on, and pranced about in 'my' dress a bit, lol.

Enjoy x

• C
    Beginner July 2011
    cassmk2 ·
    • Hide content

Everything Allgold said. Although i would suggest to wear a strapless bra and 'big' knickers. First shop i went to i wore my standard thong and felt a bit bare stood there waiting for the dress to be put on me.

Try on dresses you don't think you will like as they are so different on. I bought my dress today and it wasn't the type of dress i thought i would ever buy.

good luck and let us know how you get on

• Allgold78
    Beginner October 2011
    Allgold78 ·
    • Hide content

Oh sorry Cassmk2 but I had to chuckle then. I just had a vision of you stood in the middle of a big room in bra and thong! ?

Yeah, I revise that, chose underwear selectively - big knickers are the way forward, lol

• Josiep00
    Beginner December 2010
    Josiep00 ·
    • Hide content

I think you shouldn't over-think it.

Some shops are amazing and make you feel so comfy and others you will feel awkward and feel wierd making small talk with a lady whilst your in your undies. Just remember they are there to help you feel pretty. Be honest with the ones you don't like and if the assistant is professional they will work out what style you feel good in.

Good luck xx

• C
    Beginner July 2011
    cassmk2 ·
    • Hide content

That's exactly what did happen in the first shop i went to!? and it was a shared changing room with another bride and assistant and they weren't too careful at opening and closing the door with a shop full of people. Although i have to say that all of my experiences since haven't been like that

• Allgold78
    Beginner October 2011
    Allgold78 ·
    • Hide content

Oh no, poor you. That would have been my worst nightmare! (nearly!!)

• spikeygoodness
    Beginner
    spikeygoodness ·
    • Hide content

I was going to say big pants - I was also in a thong and no bra (shop's advice to take it off) for my first appt, and felt very naked!

Appointments are about an hour - I tried on about 6 dresses at 2 of them, and about 15 at the last one, which I think was partly cause I was getting better at saying "no" as soon as the dress was zipped up once I knew what kind of thing I liked and didn't. I found dress shopping to be amazingly good fun, I was really nervous about it, but have had a great experience. Enjoy yourself!

• Tina Teaspoon
    Beginner May 2011
    Tina Teaspoon ·
    • Hide content

All of the above! I went shopping wearing a dress and leggings so that all I had to do was pull the dress over my head before I started trying things on - it was quick and easy and meant that I didn't feel completely naked in front of the dress shop people!

I asked when I made the appointments how long they were likely to be, which was helpful as they varied from 45 minutes to an hour and a half.

If you can't take someone with you to shop with then don't be afraid to ask the shop assistants to pull out some dresses for you, and get their opinions on the dresses. They might not be 100% honest with you but hopefully they will at least act as a sounding board to bounce ideas off. Plus they might choose dresses that you would never have considered.

• *JLS*
    Beginner July 2012
    *JLS* ·
    • Hide content

Definately agree with the strapless bra and big panties!! One of my friends wore tights, but it can get quite hot trying on all the dresses so I would also say take a bottle of water with you.

If you have a vague idea of what you would like, let the assistants know beforehand, remember they have done this for years so will have a good idea of what will suit Smiley smile

Good luck and don't forget to let us know how you get on Jx

• jenny18/11/11
    Rockstar November 2011
    jenny18/11/11 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the advice girls.

Allgold, I would normaly have taken my MOH with me, just decided today to make an appointment before I lost my nerve! The day I've booked she can't make as it's a weekend when her partner's daughter is staying with them.

Congrats on choosing your dress cassmk2 - I've just seen the thread you posted and read all about your dilemma. Think you made the right choice in the end, if you loved the dress so much I think it would have played on your mind if you had gone for something else.

• C
    Beginner July 2011
    cassmk2 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Jenny! I love it and decided to go with my heart. It also help having my MIL2B saying it was ok to buy it ha ha

Good luck with your appointment x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics