Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kekepania
Beginner September 2006

Fish and Chips

Kekepania, 28 of August of 2008 at 14:55 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 54

I heart fish and chips, I'm hungry and fancying fish and chips, and also a bit bored. ?

What's your favourite thing to order when you're succumbing to the loveliness that it your local chippy? I love fishcakes or jumbo sausage with large chips to share with MrK. He ALWAYS has medium cod.

And fantasy fish and chips time - what is the one thing you wish your fish and chip shop would serve? I would like gravy (I have never found a fish and chip shop down here that serves it) and also some desserts - nothing too filling, just something like Ben and Jerrys. *drools* MrKs thing would be seabass fillets.

54 replies

Latest activity by Milk No Sugar, 29 of August of 2008 at 09:33
  • legless
    Beginner
    legless ·
    • Hide content

Not cod. but then i'm a marine biologist ?

• claires
    Beginner July 2008
    claires ·
    • Hide content

I always have a larger battered sausage, chips and either gravy or mushy peas. you should live up here, all the shops have gravy?

• A
    Beginner August 2007
    alison76 ·
    • Hide content

No cod here either - haddock is much tastier anyway. H has plaice usually.

Ours is closed for summer hols at the moment - I really fancied some last night.

• Dooby
    Beginner
    Dooby ·
    • Hide content

Haddock and chips mmmmmm

• Knownowt
    Knownowt ·
    • Hide content

I love cod but feel I shouldn't order it, so I'd like to find a fish and chip shop that served sustainable cod (if there's such a thing) or else magic, never-decreasing cod. I'd also like to be able to have a glass of very cold semi-skimmed milk (which is what we always had with fish and chips when I was little).

Northern ideas of fish and chips are very deviant ?

• Kekepania
    Beginner September 2006
    Kekepania ·
    • Hide content

Understand re: cod. I have no idea why he doesn't have something else. Mushy peas, mmm I love mushy peas. Again, I rarely see them down here - plenty of pea fritters around though.

Claires, a friend from Derby got me hooked on chips and gravy - never quite the same when you do it yourself though!

• P
    Beginner May 2005
    Pint&APie ·
    • Hide content

Scampi for me, with chips, and curry sauce, and a pancake roll to nibble while dishing up.

Pollock, or haddock for G&T, not that she can taste anything through the half-pint of vinegar.

• Kekepania
    Beginner September 2006
    Kekepania ·
    • Hide content

Ooh I forgot one other thing I'd like chip shops to serve - Champagne (or at least sparkling wine). Champagne and chips - yum.

Oh and proper curry sauce, none of this bisto rubbish. I'm so hungry now!

• CountDuckula
    Beginner August 2009
    CountDuckula ·
    • Hide content

Cod, chips and mushy peas for me. And if I'm feeling particularly gutty, a battered sausage as well.

There's nothing else I want that I can't get. No gravy down here either, it's lovely on chips but I wouldn't want it with my fish as well.

• Braw Wee Chanter
    Braw Wee Chanter ·
    • Hide content

I wish more chip shops did proper old school fishcakes. Not the easly little bread crumbed things but big battered ones covered in vinegar.

There used to be a chippy in The Strand in Bootle that did them, next time I'm in Liverpool I'm going in to see if it's still there.

I rarely have chippy now because I'm in Scotland and I've found most places to be pretty grim. Deep fried pizza anyone? ?

ETA: Actually, the special fish suppers up here can be lovely depending on the chippy.

x

• kierenthecommunity
    Beginner May 2005
    kierenthecommunity ·
    • Hide content

Mmmmmm. haddock and chips. with curry sauce or mushy peas. how fab ?

the chippy near the nick does a small fish and chips which is great for lunch without so much guilt. and we get a discount there ?

i'd like northern chippies to do scampi, i've never seen it up here.

• chids
    Beginner
    chids ·
    • Hide content

If i'm ordering from the chippy then my most favourite thing is jumbo sausage chips gravy and loads of salt and vinegar. ?

• I love shoes
    Beginner July 2008
    I love shoes ·
    • Hide content

STOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOP IT (la la la I cant hear you)

I want chippy chips now and thats norty ?

• MD
    Beginner
    MD ·
    • Hide content

Mmmmmm - mushy pea fritters which are the best ever. I can't get them up here though and its so sad

• Kekepania
    Beginner September 2006
    Kekepania ·
    • Hide content

I've gone into fantasy fish and chips mode now. I've just thought of a name and am now deciding how to decorate it. Oh god I need a life. ?

Also really fancying a jumbo sausage now and a pineapple fritter.

What I want to know is, does anyone actually bother with a pukka pie? I've never known anyone order one with their chips!

• Jerseygirl
    Beginner
    Jerseygirl ·
    • Hide content

When I am home, my standard order is Chinese chicken curry (off the bone) with chips and rice ('alf n 'alf).

• E
    Beginner February 2013
    eastybabe ·
    • Hide content

Chips, curry sauce and plastic white bread with loads of vinegar or haddock, mushy peas and chips for me.

It's really hard to find proper chippys down south. When I was at Uni in Liverpool there was a chippy on every street around where we lived and was soo cheap. Oh those were the days. Sigh.

I think I'll be off to the chippy tonight!

• A
    Beginner August 2007
    alison76 ·
    • Hide content

Pukka pies - bad

holland's pies - good! ?

• Braw Wee Chanter
    Braw Wee Chanter ·
    • Hide content

When I'm in Cardiff though it has to be Clarks pie, chips and mushy peas ?

Or chicken curry off the floor bone and chips down Caroline Street.

x

• chids
    Beginner
    chids ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Wright's pies even better - it's a stoke on trent thing though i think.

• tickle
    Beginner October 2008
    tickle ·
    • Hide content

Now i want chips,peas with gravy & scraps.

H would have a peck barm (chip barm,peas,onions & red sauce)

• Jerseygirl
    Beginner
    Jerseygirl ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm from Cardiff and used to love Clark's pies. And whenever I am home and in town for the night, we always stop off for chips and curry sauce down Chippy Lane. I now have my (American) husband hooked.

• Roobarb
    Beginner January 2007
    Roobarb ·
    • Hide content

I very rarely have anything from the chippy as I find it sits too heavy in my stomach but if I do it's usually a sausage supper. With some ketchup and a pickled onion and only a teeny bit of salt.

• Braw Wee Chanter
    Braw Wee Chanter ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Awww, chippy lane. ❤️

It's all gone a bit too clean and tidy for my liking though. It used to be a proper game of food poisoning roulette, if you could push your way past all the prozzies that is. What's the Irish pub on the corner called? Is it Mulligans?

I remember if we were really starving and were too late to catch the chippies we'd end up in that restaurant up the stairs that was open til about 5 in the morning! What the hell was that place called?

x

• NumbNuts
    Beginner October 2004
    NumbNuts ·
    • Hide content

Sausage in batter, saveloy (mm pink unidentifiable meat), chips and a gherkin or mushy peas. Mayo with the chips, slice of bread and a brew.

Never managed to eat it all surprisingly!

• M
    Beginner January 2007
    mrslf ·
    • Hide content

I love cod and chips with curry sauce on. H loves fishcake and chips from the chippy, but they have to be 'real' fishcakes made with potato.

• Consuela Banana Hammock
    Consuela Banana Hammock ·
    • Hide content

Before I was a vegetarian it would have been a Chicken and Mushroom pukka pie with chips. Now it's haddock and chips.

Yes, all right, I'm not a "real" veggie in that I do eat fish but no meat at all. ?

• cherry pie
    Beginner July 2007
    cherry pie ·
    • Hide content

Fish chips and gravy, lots of salt and just a bit of vinegar. and 2 pickled onions!!

or a sausage supper with lots of salt, no vinegar and lots of brown sauce!

i hate that none of the chippys here do pickled onions!

• Jerseygirl
    Beginner
    Jerseygirl ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You're right, it is a bit clean now. I think the Brewery Quarter has had an influence.

Hmm...Taurus Steak House?

• Flump
    Expert January 2012
    Flump ·
    • Hide content

Ooooh fantasy fish and chips, what a fab idea as I rarely have the real thing due to fear of fat content?

I'll have battered plaice and small chips, quick shake of salt, *lashings* of vinegar, a pickled egg (mmm, best bit!) and a huge dollop of tartare sauce please!

Ooh and a cold can of fat Coke, or a Shandy Bass?

• Oriana
    Beginner
    Oriana ·
    • Hide content

I always get a haddock supper. Our local uses really fresh fish and cooks to order, yum!

Umm, probably desserts actually as quite often when I have a fish supper, I think, well, if I've blown the diet, I might as well blow it to hell.

• CountDuckula
    Beginner August 2009
    CountDuckula ·
    • Hide content

Thank you Hitched. I've just told OH I want fish and chips fromthe chippy for dinner so he told me to pop in on the way home. That's 2 saveloys and chips for him by the way ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics