Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kekepania
Beginner September 2006

Fish and Chips

Kekepania, 28 of August of 2008 at 14:55

Posted on Off Topic Posts 54

I heart fish and chips, I'm hungry and fancying fish and chips, and also a bit bored. ? What's your favourite thing to order when you're succumbing to the loveliness that it your local chippy? I love fishcakes or jumbo sausage with large chips to share with MrK. He ALWAYS has medium cod. And fantasy...

I heart fish and chips, I'm hungry and fancying fish and chips, and also a bit bored. ?

What's your favourite thing to order when you're succumbing to the loveliness that it your local chippy? I love fishcakes or jumbo sausage with large chips to share with MrK. He ALWAYS has medium cod.

And fantasy fish and chips time - what is the one thing you wish your fish and chip shop would serve? I would like gravy (I have never found a fish and chip shop down here that serves it) and also some desserts - nothing too filling, just something like Ben and Jerrys. *drools* MrKs thing would be seabass fillets.

54 replies

• Braw Wee Chanter
    Braw Wee Chanter ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

No The Taurus is round the corner. I've had to text my brother beause it's bugging me now.

x

• Hoobygroovy
    Hoobygroovy ·
    • Hide content

I've got two chippies three doors apart where I live and what I have depends on which one I go to. In one it's usually just your standard fish supper (which I believe is pollock), or occasionally a couple of fish cakes. If it's the other, it'll usually be faggots, chips and mushy peas. ?

• HeidiHole
    Beginner October 2003
    HeidiHole ·
    • Hide content

What's chicken curry off the bone?

If I could have F&Cs now, I'd have a piece of haddock, half a saveloy, and chips with ketchup, mayo and so much salt I'd be up all night drinking water.

• SophieM
    SophieM ·
    • Hide content

I'd be thrilled if I got that ?

Anything other than haddock/pollack/happy cod and chips with loads of salt, a little vinegar on the chips and a generous squeeze of lemon on the fish is wrongety wrong wrong.

• Jerseygirl
    Beginner
    Jerseygirl ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It's chicken curry with the chicken having been removed from the bone and sort of shredded/cut into pieces.

• flailing wildly
    flailing wildly ·
    • Hide content

I don't eat most things at a chippy as I'm vegetarian, and I find chipshop chips, whilst smelling like the world's most scrumptious snack as you pass by, inevitably are tasteless, grease-laden blobs that I tire of after about thirty seconds.

When I was a teenager, on cold winter nights I used to buy a portion of chips from the shop next door to the pub and stick them under my coat to keep me warm on the way home. Yes, I whiffed to high heaven when I got home, but at least I was warm. It always seemed like a good idea when I was drunk ?

• Braw Wee Chanter
    Braw Wee Chanter ·
    • Hide content

Jerseygirl - It's Charlestons I'm thinking of!

x

• fox-in-socks
    Beginner May 2006
    fox-in-socks ·
    • Hide content

Jester, that's the perfect dinner. i'd be thrilled. in fact, i'm on my way right now <foxy runs out of door towards tube station> ?

as it's fantasy F&C i'm having cod (hang the environmental costs) and chips with plenty of S&P, bit of vinegar, and lashings of good mayo (HM preferably) <nose in air icon> ?. and wine to drink, possibly fizzy.

yum. maybe we should celebrate a return to blighty with our national supper. although after pain au chocolat for breakfast, followed by cheese, bread and wine for lunch i fear our saturated fat allowance for the week has already been used up ?

• HeidiHole
    Beginner October 2003
    HeidiHole ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks, JG, that's just normal chicken curry down south, I've never had chicken curry on the bone ?

• Braw Wee Chanter
    Braw Wee Chanter ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Proper Desi style (on the bone) chicken or lamb is absolutely ?.

x

• H
    Hickory ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Why are people talking about Chinese curry at the fish and chip shop? Don't you get that from a Chinese takeaway? Or do you have a place that sells both?! *drools*

I'm in Scotland and there are loads of chippies and Chinese places but not together! My fav is haddock with chips, no vinegar, plenty of salt and a can of Irn Bru.

• Flump
    Expert January 2012
    Flump ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You are soooo posh Soaps? I bet you use your special silver fish knives and forks with the bone handles as well don't you?

• Hoobygroovy
    Hoobygroovy ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

More and more chippies round where I live seem to be being taken over by Chinese nationals or the occasional Turk, offering traditional fish and chips as well as their own cuisines. The Chinese chippies here are fab. I think they use better oil and fry at a higher temperature as their chips come out golden and gorgeous and crisp.

If I was back in Scotland, it'd have to be a white pudding supper for me. Yum.

• Braw Wee Chanter
    Braw Wee Chanter ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is the joy of Caroline Street in Cardiff. And its more of an Indian curry than Chinese.

x

• SophieM
    SophieM ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You jest, Flumpums ? My mother alsways used to bring out the fish knives and forks for takeaway F&C, bless her.

• H
    Hickory ·
    • Hide content

Ah ok, it's def more Italian-owned chip shops around me. They also usually do pizzas (not deep fried!) and homemade Italian ice cream too.

More commonly, Turkish people are opening kebab/curry shops so if you go for an Indian curry, you're more likely to be able to get Turkish food too.

Chinese is just Chinese though!

• Jerseygirl
    Beginner
    Jerseygirl ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Charlestons! Thanks.

Oh, you can get chicken curry ON the bone in Pillars!

• L
    Lucky Moonshine ·
    • Hide content

I always have, Cod chips mushy peas and gravy, with a pickled onion and a scallop!!

• Hecate
    Beginner
    Hecate ·
    • Hide content

Haddock & chips, scraps and gravy - food of the gods!!

Keith - odd you don't have any chippies that do Scampi - our local does and I know of at least one other.

I don't live that far from you

• Voldemort
    Voldemort ·
    • Hide content

Chips, scraps and a potato scallop with LOADS of vinegar and salt. And if it's fantasy F&C I'll have a battered mars bar too

Got to be a scalding hot cup of tea to wash it down with too.

• F
    Beginner August 2008
    fat new mum ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

The chippy in the strand is still there i go the strand every monday with my mum and aunties.

the fish cakes are the best in the world i think.

i also love there chips and onion mushroom gravy oh yummy im drooling now.

Lisa

• M
    Beginner
    Milk No Sugar ·
    • Hide content

Mmmm, cod/haddock and chips, smothered in salt and vinegar. I'm not usually a vinegar fan but HAVE to have it on shop bought fish and chips.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics