Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Estina
Savvy October 2024 Gloucestershire

fmil issues.....help

Estina, 21 of August of 2022 at 21:33 Posted on Planning 0 6
Hello all,
I am starting to lose the plot. My FMIL told my Fiance that he MUST include his god children in our wedding.
Her favourite line at the moment is "etiquette states"My Fiance's god children belong to his 2 cousins. 1 boy who isn't very easy to get along with. At present he is 15 and takes a football EVERYWHERE with him, doesn't like wearing formal wear and is very shy. I was very clear with her that if he doesn't comply on the day my father will upset him ( my father is a captain in the army 🙈)She then replied - well his grandmother is expecting it. The other god child is a girl who is his mother's great neice.Right at the start of this process her sister said on She's so excited she actually said finally I will get to be a bridesmaid.Erm.....no she won't. I was very clear with that. Then it was like well-being a flower girl. She will be 15 by the time we get married.When I explained to FMIL and her sister I have my own god children( best friend/ maid of honours kids) who are young enough to do the role I was greeted with "oh but there not family"This made me sooo angry especially as those girls are my family. I don't want either teen to honest 😔 I have my bridal party which consists of ADULTS. Everyone Is now saying I'm being unreasonable.

My FMIL has already dropped 2 other grenades.1st she wanted us to have a hurried wedding because unfortunately my FFIL is very unwell so he wont be at our wedding in 2 years time. She said I want him there so have a small wedding. It will be all 12 of his family and all I get is my mum, dad, brother and nan. Which is hilarious when my family is 100% bigger than his. She then said "then you can go about your life and in 2 years have a big blessing" i wasnt happy at all So I said no. To be fair my fiancé said no too. 2. She offered us money but demanded we invite certain members of her family otherwise we can't have the money. I told her she could keep it. It's either a gift for her son or its not. Love is unconditional doesn't come with strings. She back tracked and said she wanted us to have it. I said nah......Shes now annoyed.
I'm fully ruthless but she's starting to really piss me off.
What do I do?

6 replies

Latest activity by Anonbride, 22 of August of 2022 at 16:47
  • Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content

This is not uncommon, and you need to nip it in the bud right now or the demands will continue and escalate. the situation with your FFIL is obviously upsetting, however, if your FH is OK with not bringing the wedding forward then that is your choice. Do not take the money, as you say it comes with conditions and if you do take it she will push her agenda even more and hold it against you.

In terms of her other demands, your FH needs to politely explain that whilst there is etiquette this is not a rule and this is your day so she needs to respect your decisions. it is also not just about one side of the family, I had a similar issue with my mum (she decided after having met my FIL's for 5 minutes, she didn't like them!) and had to firmly tell her we wanted to include people from both sides and there had to be a cut off, and that we would invite people we wanted to OUR wedding. I explained that we only wanted people at or involved in the ceremony who were a major part of our lives, and this did not include the people she wanted, and as it is our day that is our choice. it is a hard one, it annoys me that people feel it is OK to demand things on your day and actually upset the bride/groom, and I pushed that back on her as she was saying she was upset and embarrassed we hadn't invited xyz, but I said your demands are upsetting me, the Bride, and do you think that is ok?? She eventually backed down, carried on bitching to people about it, but as I said, if anyone has a problem or question they can talk to me and I am happy to explain our decision, it is not her place.

Please try not to let it stress you out, as long as you and your FH are on the same page then plan the day you want and IF she starts again with demands then let your FH deal with her, you dont need the stress x

• Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    Charlotte is the woman to listen to she has helped me out so much so i suggest what she said x 💗 hope you can both sort it out and do what you both want x💗
  • Estina
    Savvy October 2024 Gloucestershire
    Estina ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Aww thanks Charlotte,
    This has been most helpful. This whole process has been so odd especially as I thought it would be easy to do.
    I will speak to my other half and see what we can do.Thanks
  • Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    Just remember to do whats best for you both goid luck x💗
  • Ajx
    Dedicated April 2024 West Yorkshire
    Ajx ·
    • Hide content

I have never once listened to someone plan their wedding and thought "you know what i'm gonna do? I'm gonna tell them who to invite, what they need to do and also have a big moan if i dont get my own way"

Honestly what is wrong with people! Bar just telling everyone to piss off (which i'm at the stage of now Smiley laugh ) you just have to remind them that it isn't their day and unfortunately you'll get it a lot with in laws!

• A
    Expert July 2023 Cornwall
    Anonbride ·
    • Hide content

Can only really echo Charlotte's comments here - honestly this forum is a godsend for FMIL venting! I've had many, many issues with FMIL making unreasonable demands or rude comments, it's been tough for me, oftentimes tougher for FH but we were saying just yesterday how glad we were to keep standing our ground. If you give into this it'll be something else and something else, and tbh it probably won't end at your wedding it'll be the dynamic for the rest of your lives! Definitely think now is a good time for FH to stand his ground, for you to do what works for you as a couple, and if that's totally different to what FMIL would do well it's not her wedding and it's not her life so she doesn't have to like it but she does have to learn to accept it because it is YOUR decision.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics