Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

N
Beginner April 2013

Format for guest names on invitations - please help!

Ness999, 30 August, 2012 at 12:55 Posted on Planning 0 7

Hi All,

I’m hoping some of you can help! After much deliberation we have decided on the following wording for our invitations.

Bride First and Last Name

and

Groom First and Last Name

Request the pleasure of the company of

Guest(s)

To share in the celebration

of their marriage

on Sunday, 21 April 2013

at 1 pm

at Venue, County

Dinner & Evening Reception to follow

Please RSVP by Xth Month 2012

All good, until my OH and I can't quite decide on the best format for writing our guests names.

Do we keep the same format as ours ie Girl and Boy Smith? And Girl Smith and Boy Jones if they’re not married? Or just first names only??!! What about when children are included? And Aunts/ Uncles? I’m leaning towards Auntie X and Uncle Y as it is more personal. Ultimately I want to create a feeling somewhere between super formal and casual. I like things being done properly, but really want people to come to our wedding knowing they are going to have a good time and enjoy celebrating with us and would like our invitations to convey that.

Thanks for your suggestions! I’m probably just over-thinking it!

7 replies

Latest activity by rachel2012, 31 August, 2012 at 12:39
  • hazyclaire
    Beginner November 2012
    hazyclaire ·
    • Hide content

We wondered about this, but in the end realised we didn't have that much space for surnames! In the end we put 'mum & dad' and 'nanna' and everyone else including aunts and uncles just got their first names.

It's really down to your personal choice and I don't think your guests will pay that much attention to it. Do go to the trouble of finding out partners names where possible though rather than writing 'and guest'. I was most offended when we received an invitation addressed to H2B 'and guest' despite having been together for 5 yesrs, living together for 3 and having been together longer than the couple who were getting married - they only had to look on Facebook to find out my name!!

• Sparkly Tyke
    Beginner March 2011
    Sparkly Tyke ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think we addressed ours as first names only, or Aunty X and Uncle Y. Honestly, I doubt people would really notice anyway!

Absolutely agree with this though! I was hugely offended at an invitation last year to my H + guest - after we got married and the groom knows so many people who he could have asked my name, or just looked on FB!

• Zoomo13
    Beginner August 2015
    Zoomo13 ·
    • Hide content

I think if you put surnames of guests on invites it sounds formal, first names sounds informal - but thats just me

• Sloth
    Sloth ·
    • Hide content

I used first names, or nicknames where we know them as something - I didn't want formal.

I would say if it is a open guest - i.e. they can bring whoever they choose - and could do if their OH can't make it - then use Guest. If you are specifically inviting the OH then use their names and find them out.

It is so easy to find out these days I would use names - but then I don't like the open plus ones either (in majority of cases)

• O
    Beginner September 2013
    oggers86 ·
    • Hide content

I havent put names on the invites themselves (apart from one because they are the only person getting a +1 which I needed to make clear) The surnames will go on the inner envelope and then again on the outer envelope to post.

Have put first names on RSVP's so that if people forget to put their names on it wont matter.

My invites are far from formal though..

• Jalapeno
    Beginner October 2012
    Jalapeno ·
    • Hide content

Incidentally, we have invited other halves to the evening and went to the trouble of finding out all of the wives names. One wife turned around and said "why have they even bothered inviting me, it's not like I know them". I mean, we don't know them but I thought it was more polite to invite the wives than to leave them off completely!

• N
    Beginner April 2013
    Ness999 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks for your comments everyone. It has really helped!

I maybe didnt make it clear in my orginal post, but I already know and will be using partners names on the invitations. Partners are definitely welcome but we'd prefer not to have random +1's especially as we are already struggling for space. I agree, I'd be really offended too if I'd been with my OH for a while and was only invited as an "and guest"!!!! Surely if someone is close enough to invite to your wedding you should (or would find out) their OH's name?!!

• R
    Expert June 2024
    rachel2012 ·
    • Hide content

I think (cant actually remember!) we done first names for couples and then people with kids we put Mr X and Mrs X and family as we couldnt fit it all on.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics