Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Frugal Splurger
Beginner September 2011

Gifts for mums

Frugal Splurger, 9 August, 2011 at 10:35 Posted on Planning 0 10

We are so stuck as what to get our mums for wedding gifts! i know that flowers and jewellery are the usual done thing but we're getting married abroad so flowers aren't realistic, and they both only have nice, expensive jewelery and we only really have a budget of about £40 for each. I thought pearls but MIL apparently threw some out recently because she thought they had brought her bad luck (!) ... other that that we're really stuck!

Considered trying to get something more personal. For example, my mum loves Disney films but I cannot find anything half decent that is really what a bride would buy her mum, and MIL has no hobbies or interests..she's a housewife who has everything she could ever want in life. Good on her, but it doesn't help us!

Any suggestions? p.s. No slushy mushy stuff like those Mother of the Bride Q&A books, I don't have that kind of relationshp with my mum! HELP!!!

10 replies

Latest activity by Sallyw, 10 August, 2011 at 10:47
  • Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

Where are you getting married? How about a voucher for somewhere nice in the place you're getting married.

I'm also getting married abroad (in Sydney) and, so far, have got personalised hankies for my parents and will probably get them a voucher to see something in the Sydney Opera House or perhaps a voucher for a nice meal.

I might also get one of the journals from Oh So Cherished to give my parents when we get home.

• Frugal Splurger
    Beginner September 2011
    Frugal Splurger ·
    • Hide content

We're getting married in Vegas and I thought about vouchers for a show but it was quickly shot down by FH... knowing our mums they will want keep sakes which is fair enough. The Oh So Cherished books are lovely but i'm just not like that with my mum at all.

• SaSaSi
    Beginner July 2012
    SaSaSi ·
    • Hide content

I got my mum & MIL a personalized yankee candle set in a funky box they can always keep. - Might be heavy to carry abroad though.

• abbijay
    Beginner October 2011
    abbijay ·
    • Hide content

We're getting married at home but there'll be so many flowers floating around afterwards from the venue that it just seemed a waste. I think we're going to buy vouchers for a spa near where each mum lives so they can have a massage or facial on us. That should work for a woman who has everything although it isn't a keepsake as such.

• E
    Beginner August 2011
    emmamac73 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oooooh!! This sounds perfect for my MIL....please can you tell me where to get these from? How much etc?

Thanks!!

• 1234ABC
    Beginner
    1234ABC ·
    • Hide content

I've just bought my mum an earring and necklace set. It's similar to one she had a long time ago, but it broke and she'd been really gutted about it, so we thought we'd get her that because she's notoriously hard to buy for, and she's been feeling quite smug that we can't think of anything to get her (oh how wrong she was)

I think buying for parent's is really difficult. I'm at a complete loss for my dad.

• LeeLee :)
    Beginner
    LeeLee :) ·
    • Hide content

I thought about flowers as a gift to go with something else, but then my parents have booked a holiday four days after our wedding so she won't get much out of having flowers then going away.

We are getting my parents a combined gift which is a weekend and dinner away in a hotel of their choice using 'Buy A Gift' website.

For my MIL we are buying her a spa day away with her daughter (my soon to be SIL and bridesmaid).

• panda2011
    Beginner September 2011
    panda2011 ·
    • Hide content

We have ordered some posh photo frames engraved with the wedding date & we will print off something to put in the frame basically saying that we will get them a nice pic from the wedding to go into the frame after the wedding.

• S
    Beginner September 2011
    Sallyw ·
    • Hide content

I've just got all my female wedding party gifts from Past Times online. fab offers and something for everyone.

HTH,

Sally (soon to be Mrs Smith)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics