Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner July 2012

GOLD BRIDESMAID DRESSES... SUPER TACKY OR SUPER CLASSY?

ljay, 12 October, 2010 at 13:37 Posted on Planning 0 18

Hi girls! I have now worn out my friends with wedding questions so I am turning to the brides/brides to be!!!

I would just love gold BM dresses, two issues though: there are so many and they walk the thin line between classy and chic as hell..

So here are my most useful websites found so far (on a tight budget- remember the tight budget!)

Obviously ebay, a girl's best friend: http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m570.l1313&_nkw=gold+bridesmaid+dresses&_sacat=See-All-Categories

And then a price comparison site I hadn't seen before: http://www.twenga.co.uk/dir-Fashion,Dresses,Bridesmaid-dress-018508

my actual fave so far is the first one on the second site but the price is somewhat less than ideal!!!

Anyway ladies... be brutal! I don't want to go for it then have my wedding photos look like a tin of cheap sweets!

18 replies

Latest activity by MrsBtobe1980, 21 June, 2011 at 20:00
  • D
    Beginner November 2011
    DTTB ·
    • Hide content

Cant get in the links

xx

• lisaloulou
    Beginner
    lisaloulou ·
    • Hide content

Hello and welcome to Hitched!

I'll be completely honest, I'm not that keen on gold BM dresses but I think that is because I've never seen a colour in photos that I really liked. I actually wore a gold BM dress about 7 years ago (long style) and loved it but it probably wouldn't really be my cup of tea now.

However, I really like the style (and colour) of the one on Twenga. The colour seems softer whereas the first dress is a bit brasher. I think its double layered with a shimmer layer on top (I remember seeing it on the store) and I think it cheapens the look.

Have you had a look around for second hand gold dresses on the forums (perhaps look on the For Sale forum here and post on Wanted), as well as on other website forums (what a traitor I am!). I would think that gold long dresses were a pretty popular style and you could always add a sash and bow in a contrasting colour perhaps?

L x

• B
    Beginner July 2010
    brideseekingblush ·
    • Hide content

Well I like them but I had them so I would say that! I think they can look really classy.

These are the ones I had:

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/m-s-autograph-occasions-gold-waterf/768651?utm_source=google&utm_medium=Deal%2BList&utm_campaign=Expired%2BPage

I'd go for it - just a warning, I've seen some bad reviews of the fit of that first dress on the second page, but I guess you can always order and then send back.

• SarinaCain
    Beginner March 2011
    SarinaCain ·
    • Hide content

I know! I did think the same when I was lookingfor my dresses. I ended up getting floorlength satin gold dresses from Debenhams...luckily they were on sale. Unfortunatly they stopped doing my one so cant show you a pic. But they are strapless (came with removable ones but my girls arnt going to use them) with a lovely brooch at the hip and a bit of ruching under the bust. Look great on. My theme is red so had to go with gold as couldnt find anything else that realy went with the red. Goodluck shopping

• kj82
    Beginner December 2010
    kj82 ·
    • Hide content

I think as long as they are not shiny metallic gold then they can be classy!! lol

• SarinaCain
    Beginner March 2011
    SarinaCain ·
    • Hide content

I know! I did think the same when I was lookingfor my dresses. I ended up getting floorlength satin gold dresses from Debenhams...luckily they were on sale. Unfortunatly they stopped doing my one so cant show you a pic. But they are strapless (came with removable ones but my girls arnt going to use them) with a lovely brooch at the hip and a bit of ruching under the bust. Look great on. My theme is red so had to go with gold as couldnt find anything else that realy went with the red. Goodluck shopping

• lisaloulou
    Beginner
    lisaloulou ·
    • Hide content

Just a thought, if you ordered that dress from places like Very make sure you look around for Voucher Codes for money off or look into what offer they give new customers off their first order (could be 20%). Might make them more affordable.

• Sherrie H
    Beginner
    Sherrie H ·
    • Hide content

I had Gold Bridesmaid dresses but they were a very pale Gold almost Taupe:

• Mrs Bass
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs Bass ·
    • Hide content

I was BM at my brothers wedding a few years ago. when his mrs first told me that she wanted me in gold, i thought "oh good god!"

but i have to say the dresses looked really nice on. the gold wasnt as 'harsh' as i had imagined! they were from BHS

• 1Lucie
    Beginner May 2011
    1Lucie ·
    • Hide content

In my true honest opinion i think gold is an awful colour for dresses. Gold doesnt suit many people. I recently went to a wedding with gold as a colour scheme and i thought it looked terrible. But its all personal opinion. How about gold and another stronger colour?

• crafty em
    Beginner June 2008
    crafty em ·
    • Hide content

I think it depends what other colour you're having, i may be totally wrong, but think Rainbow florist's daughter is having gold, black and ivory, she maybe about later and flash some pics for you, i think those colours together can look really classy,

• Cookie Galore
    Beginner November 2009
    Cookie Galore ·
    • Hide content

There are so many different shades of gold that I'm sure you'll find one that works - antique gold tends to me almost beige coloured and looks gorgeous with burgundy (although could look a bit Christmassy). Don't assume that "gold" means a shiny, brassy, yellow shade. Do be careful though, as someone else mentioned, gold can be quite difficult to pull off depending on your skintone so you'll need to be very careful when picking your dresses that they will suit all of your bridesmaids - I cannot wear anything even remotely yellowish as I look jaundiced but would probably be ok with a more taupe sort of tone.

• B
    Beginner July 2010
    brideseekingblush ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Well, that answers the question about whether people are blunt on here - a couple of people say they had gold and someone comes in and says it's an awful colour for dresses and as the colour scheme looks terrible! OP - I won't put up pictures of my terrible looking BMs on here, but let me know if you want to see. As Mrs P said, and as you can see from the pics already posted, there's a lot of different shades of gold, so I'm sure you could find a colour to suit your girls.

• L
    Beginner May 2010
    Lookeyere ·
    • Hide content

Ljay, which dress style/colour did you go with in the end?

• NikiST
    Beginner July 2011
    NikiST ·
    • Hide content

The first one on the second link is £7. Surely thats not the one you mean?

• charliebird7
    Beginner March 2012
    charliebird7 ·
    • Hide content

Lol, me too!

Personally i'm not a fan of gold but I don't mind the lighter gold dresses.

• MrsBtobe1980
    Beginner September 2012
    MrsBtobe1980 ·
    • Hide content

these are the gold dresses we wore for my sisters wedding at the weekend, a subtle gold that went with any colour

sarah

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics