Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

Good curry recipe?

3 July, 2012 at 14:15 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 17

I'm ashamed to say I have never made my own curry. I blame the delicious Indian restaurant that we visit once a month just down the road.

SO who has a good recipe for me to try? Note - we prefer chicken and the kids would prefer it not too spicy.

17 replies

Latest activity by Beez, 3 July, 2012 at 18:46
  • Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content

This si a good low fat korma i have done in the past...ive got a great slimming worl dcurry one at home too just not here!

Ingredients
    • 1 tbsp ground nut oil (could substitute veg oil)
    • 2 onions, finely chopped
    • 2 large cloves of garlic, crushed
    • 2cm of ginger, peeled and grated
    • ½ tsp ground cinnamon
    • ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
    • 2 tsp garam masala
    • 1 tsp ground black pepper
    • 1 tsp medium curry powder
    • 150ml Greek yoghurt (not fridge cold)
    • 100ml full fat milk (not fridge cold)
    • 500g turkey breast, cut into one inch dice
    METHOD
    How to make skinny korma with steamed rice

1. Sweat the onion in the oil in a medium frying pan over a moderate heat for 5 minutes or until soft and translucent and not browned.

2. Add the garlic and ginger for a further 2 minutes.

3. Spoon 2/3 of the onion mixture into a small blender and blitz with 3 tablespoons of water until a smooth paste is achieved.

4. Return the paste to the pan and add all of the spices. Continue to cook for a further 2 minutes until the spices become fragrant.

5. Add the yoghurt 1 tablespoon at a time, reserve 3 tablespoons for later use. Add 150ml of water and the milk and bring to a gentle simmer.

6. Tip in the diced turkey and continue to simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. NB: It is important that the mixture does not boil or it will split so keep it at a gentle simmer. While the turkey is cooking, cook the rice according to packet instructions.

7. Check that the turkey is cooked through before stirring in the reserved 3 tablespoons of yoghurt and garnish with toasted almonds and a coriander leaves to serve.

• Beez
    Beginner May 2016
    Beez ·
    • Hide content

If you fancy trying Thai curry let me know although I know coconut milks not everyone's taste.

Have you tried Jamie Oliver's Favourite Curry sauce. I find it weird that he doesn't add garlic but that's personal I guess. He uses coconut milk too though.

My mum cooks all her curries from Madhur Jaffrey books and alway taste good!

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content

copy and paste to word?

• Little Pixie
    Beginner September 2011
    Little Pixie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I would second the Jamie Oliver one as a good place to start. The sauce works well with all meats and fish.

Just to show off last night I made home made Kheema Maktar and home made garlic naan breads. Well nice!

• stripeyrache
    Beginner February 2011
    stripeyrache ·
    • Hide content

I made this last week:

/recipes/chickpea-tomato-spinach-curry

You could always add some chicken to it if it had to have meat. It wasn't very spicy at all and we liked it a lot!

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content

The Pataks pastes are really easy and surprisingly authentic - basically just a mix of oils and spices - Jamie Oliver uses them in one of his cookbooks.

• Spangler
    Beginner September 2010
    Spangler ·
    • Hide content

Thai lady in my Mum's village showed me how to do Thai curries as follows:

Can of coconut milk

thai curry paste

meat/veg of your choosing

Hot pan, put a dollop of the solid cream from the coconut milk in the pan. This will reduce into an oil. Once it's done this add a tbsp of the curry paste. Now add your meat/veg. Seal. Cover with the coconut milk and cook until done. If making penang curry, use the red curry paste and once finished, scatter kaffir lime leaves on top (chopped). If red or green curry. It's done when the meat/veg are cooked.

Indian curries I love Rick Stein's lamb karahi (lamb and spinach). http://www.whatiatetoday.co.uk/2009/06/16/karachi-restaurants-lamb-spinach-karahi/ although I cut down the amount of ghee and sometimes use tinned cooked spinach as it's easier.

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

For a low fat alternative to thai curry, switch coconut milk for low fat philly.

Still tastes good, but without the sinning!

• Spangler
    Beginner September 2010
    Spangler ·
    • Hide content

Thai lady in my Mum's village showed me how to do Thai curries as follows:

Can of coconut milk

thai curry paste

meat/veg of your choosing

Hot pan, put a dollop of the solid cream from the coconut milk in the pan. This will reduce into an oil. Once it's done this add a tbsp of the curry paste. Now add your meat/veg. Seal. Cover with the coconut milk and cook until done. If making penang curry, use the red curry paste and once finished, scatter kaffir lime leaves on top (chopped). If red or green curry. It's done when the meat/veg are cooked.

Indian curries I love Rick Stein's lamb karahi (lamb and spinach). http://www.whatiatetoday.co.uk/2009/06/16/karachi-restaurants-lamb-spinach-karahi/ although I cut down the amount of ghee and sometimes use tinned cooked spinach as it's easier.

• Pinky6
    Beginner June 2012
    Pinky6 ·
    • Hide content

Chicken + Onion + Pataks sauce = simples Smiley smile

• Beez
    Beginner May 2016
    Beez ·
    • Hide content

I don't use paste in mine - have you got a mini chopper? To prep for this takes me 10 mins, it's so so tasty and every time I served it up I've been

Asked for the recipe.

Blend ideally - 3-4 tablespoons Thai fish sauce, 1-2 teaspoons shrimp paste, fresh ginger, lemongrass (often I just use lime juice), a inch of fresh ginger, fresh chilli - I like a couple but have what you like, couple garlic cloves. Ideally snip a few Kaffir Lime leaves in too. Then I marinate the meat (fillet steak is amazing but I use chicken often)

Fry off the meat (sometimes I don't marinate if I don't have time) and pour over half a big can (I buy the little blue dragon cans instead) over the meat and simmer until the meats cooked. Decorate with coriander.

I won't lie to you, the fishy ness of the sauce is quite overpowering and initially getting the ingredients is a faff but they're all store cupboard essentials now!

• Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content

This curry is amazing. We made it last week and it's the closest we've ever gotten to the same standard of yumminess we get from our local curry house. Be warned, it uses ghee so it miles away from any semblance of healthy. It also takes bloody ages to chop everything but is so, so worth it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26v-EmdgsFs

• Beez
    Beginner May 2016
    Beez ·
    • Hide content

I lived in Bradford, ah, fond curry memories with questionable meat ?

Re the Thai recipe, yeah, buy it and it'll do you a few times.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics