Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

vintageangel
Beginner October 2011

Groom/Best man etc outfits..matching??

vintageangel, 15 November, 2010 at 13:50 Posted on Planning 0 18

Confused?! Does the Groom, Best man, Father of the bride etc all wear the same? as in matching suits, cravats and waistcoat? Or does the Groom look slightly different from the rest, ie different coloured cravat/waistcoat?

What are you all doing?

18 replies

Latest activity by Snuggle-bum, 15 November, 2010 at 23:25
  • Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

Usually the groom wears something slightly different.

There are lots of different variations i've seen (in the suit shop) - from a slightly different coloured waistcoat or cravat to the extreme - the whole bridal party wore back suits and the groom wore black trousers and white jacket.

• sarahb3426
    Beginner June 2012
    sarahb3426 ·
    • Hide content

My OH will be wearing the same suit as the rest of the BM/Ushers etc, but he will have a Fushia Pink Cravat and the rest will have a Purple one. Our colour scheme is pink & purple! x

• (Claire)
    Beginner July 2011
    (Claire) ·
    • Hide content

Its difficlut for me because my colour scheme is white and cream, and its a question I've asked myself lots and I cant come up with an answer - I even considered that if OH wears tails the rest wear lounge suits but I like the idea of all the suits being the same so I dont know what Im going to do.

• loopyloo80
    Beginner May 2012
    loopyloo80 ·
    • Hide content

I think all mine are wearing the same.. But yes I might do him slightly different.. I think I am also goign for Pink Purple Silver.. so maybe his cravat in pink rest in purple?? But then i wanted silver waistcoats with purple through maybe that will look silly with a pink cravat...

Im more excited about my little boys wearing the same as daddy (they will be 7 and 5) except they arent wearing jackets as I think thats really unatural for little little boys.

• kj82
    Beginner December 2010
    kj82 ·
    • Hide content

My OH will have a fuschia waistcoat and all the others will have ivory. He also has a fancy buttonhole Smiley smile

• SaSaSi
    Beginner July 2012
    SaSaSi ·
    • Hide content

The men are all ivory & silver but my OH cravat is a a pewter / silver whilst the rest are in a lighter shade of silver...I like the idea of OH with a different button hole...mmm food for thought!

• CupcakeQueen
    Beginner January 2011
    CupcakeQueen ·
    • Hide content

My men are wearing ice blue cravats and my bridesmaids in midnight blue dresses so my OH has a funky double cravat and hankie in both colours. Looks fab! He does also have a bigger and better buttonhole.

• Kat44
    Beginner August 2011
    Kat44 ·
    • Hide content

All our men are in silver suits and purple cravats. H2B is wearing an ivory shiny waistcoat and the rest will wear ivory & purple ones. Buttonholes for all will be the same, except for H2B who will have a fancier one.

Slight but subtle differences to make him stand out.

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

Etiquette and tradition may have various opinions but the actual reality is that they can all wear whatever they like and it makes absolutely no difference at the end of the day.

My groom's party have matching ties in our 'wedding crate' that match the bridesmaid's dresses (hunter green - which goes with my b2b's main colour of ivory), but we have no intention of forcing them all to wear matching suits, and even less intention of buying them for them.

If you want matching suits/ties etc then you can - but you don't have to.

• Kat44
    Beginner August 2011
    Kat44 ·
    • Hide content

We're actually having H2B, his BM, FOB, two page boys and our two ushers all in the same suits. I personally really like the matching look (hiring them!)

• L
    Beginner August 2012
    Lillibet ·
    • Hide content

I'm undecided on this one (got a fair while to think about it though hehe). As my H2B is buying my dress as my wedding present, I thought it would be nice to buy him a bespoke suit for his as I know he would love one (it's not the kind of thing he would treat himself to) and would be able to wear it after. But then it means he won't match the others (which would be rented) so dunno what to do about that... He likes the idea of wearing lighter tie and waistcoat than the other chaps though, which is fine by me. Would be nice for him to stand out I think ?

• tinks269
    Beginner February 2011
    tinks269 ·
    • Hide content

My OH will be wearing the same suit and waistcoat as the BM, ushers and ring bearer the difference is that OH will have a dark pink cravat while the others will be wearing a light pink tie that matches the waistcoat. The two dads will be wearing suits of the same colour as the grooms party and will have matching ties. To both myself and OH it is important that the grooms party is instantly recognisable as such (as OH says everyone will be able to work out who the bride and her BMs are and he wants to feel as though him and his party stand out as well)

• lovelygirl
    Beginner August 2011
    lovelygirl ·
    • Hide content

Well I would have liked matching, but my dad will be in a kilt, FIL2b with be in his religious get up, and H2b has a fab burberry suit that he got bought by his parents last year - not about to buy the best man a burberry suit but will look for a light grey suit in a similar style to H2bs and I think they will all have the same colour tie...

• loobylou1979
    Beginner February 2011
    loobylou1979 ·
    • Hide content

I've no idea about mine...I know he had trouble deciding, but not sure what he has gone for in the end! Will be my one lil surprise on the day ?

• stripeyrache
    Beginner February 2011
    stripeyrache ·
    • Hide content

We've bought the same shirt and ties for OH, his BM and usher and we've bought a different shirt and tie for our dads. We've asked them all to wear dark grey suits - not doing morning dress. OH has a different buttonhole which is made up of a flower that is in my bouquet only, so we kind of match together in that way!

Basically I think you can do whatever you want and your budget allows for!

• cola
    Beginner September 2010
    cola ·
    • Hide content

My OH, Dad and his BM all wore the same, but its really up to groom, sometimes they want to look a little different.

• Snuggle-bum
    Beginner July 2011
    Snuggle-bum ·
    • Hide content

I want the groomsmen all matching and so does h2b but my dad is being an arse about wearing tails!!!

H2b is going to be in white cravate and white waistcoat so he matches me and the groomsmen are going to be in platinum silver cravate and waistcoat....Simple but effective and VERY handsome Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics