Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Mrs*W*2B
Beginner August 2014

GRRR groupon!!!

Mrs*W*2B, 25 January, 2012 at 18:18 Posted on Planning 0 12

GRRR groupon have an offer on for the venue we are looking to book for 2014 for:

• Inclusive wedding package for 50 guests with drinks package (welcome, 1/2 bottle and toast) and wedding breakfast (3 course and coffee)
  • Reception and evening buffet for 100 guests
  • Venue decoration inc chair covers, party suite hire with DJ, civil ceremony room hire
  • Includes bridal suite and five bedrooms

All for a bargain £2599!!!!

our quote for this would be £4370 just for the room hire/food and drink (not including chair covers, room decoration and DJ!!)

so why the GRRR?? this offer means the wedding has to be booked before feb 28th 2013...over a year before our prefered date...we could afford it BUT it would mess up our house saving plans of living with parents for a bit etc so basically there is no way we can do this offer!! its soooooo fustrating because the price is amazing and we could afford to have our wedding then, it just means all other plans would be messed up so two things....

. other people could use the offer...its for Hollin Hall Legacy Hotel in Macclesfield ( http://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/manchester-special/legacy-hollin-hotel/2912819?nlp=&CID=UK_CRM_1_0_0_25&a=2703 )

. do people think we can use this as a negotiation tool? if they can do a package this cheaply then surely they will knock something off our quote if we ask? i hope so anyway!!

just a rant really!! Smiley tongue x

12 replies

Latest activity by kharv, 26 January, 2013 at 17:07
  • Soulmates
    Beginner August 2012
    Soulmates ·
    • Hide content

You could ask, what's the worst that could happen?!

• Pinky6
    Beginner June 2012
    Pinky6 ·
    • Hide content

I have bought a couple of things through groupon yet used the voucher after the 'expiry' date, I just rang the company and asked if I could book it later than they specified and they said yes but just needed my code beforehand otherwise they wouldn't get paid. I would say it's worth a shot and as you say it's a good bargaining tool.

• Canary
    Beginner August 2013
    Canary ·
    • Hide content

My guess is it's a last minute type of package. You could wait until closer to your date to book it and see if you get a discount but there's no guarantee.

If that's not an option, it's definitely worth trying to negotiate.

• K
    Beginner July 2012
    kittypuss85 ·
    • Hide content

As the lady above said - I know someone that bought something similar and booked after the expiry date.

Ring the venue and ask if you bought a groupon could you book it for later than said date

if they say yes then think about it and maybe go ahead - although beware, if they do say yes get full name date time you spoke to someone there, as it will not be legally binding them just saying yes on the phone

• Mrs*W*2B
    Beginner August 2014
    Mrs*W*2B ·
    • Hide content

Hadn't even thought of doing that, thanks ladies, i will ring tomorrow (the offers on for a couple of days) the deals exactally what we have been quoted for food and drink wise so the price is amazing! if they can't i think we will still be booking anyway but like i say using this as a negotiation tool...i know they do ridiculously low prices for groupon but it may prompt them to knock something off the price when they are offering at 55% off!!

Thanks Smiley smile x

• M
    Beginner July 2012
    maxinegallie ·
    • Hide content

If it says the wedding has to be booked by feb 28th 2013, you could phone and speak to them about options to book now (before that date) but for wedding at a later date? Might be worth a try.

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

Is it not an option for you to bring it forward if it would save a lot of money in the long run and re-jig your savings plans about? I actually saw that offer today and thought of you and wondered if it was too late for you!

• ButterflyChild
    Beginner May 2013
    ButterflyChild ·
    • Hide content

If you don't ask, you don't get! The worst they could say is 'no' Smiley smile

• Mrs*W*2B
    Beginner August 2014
    Mrs*W*2B ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

aww thats nice that you thought of me! Smiley smile the problem with having it earlier is that we wouldn't want to marry having not lived together in our own place and we were planning 2012 and some of 2013 to be living with parents to save money for our own place so that when we rent we will already have a reasonable chunk of a deposit saved...then live together (rented) before the wedding...if we brought it forward we would want to live together in our own place straight away meaning we don't have any time to save a deposit before we start paying all our money towards rent and bills etc if that makes sense so financially if we ever want a house deposit we have to live with parents for a bit and if the wedding was sooner we couldn't do that! i'm going to phone tomorrow and see if we can book the offer but book the wedding for after the closing date but i'm not sure if they will agree...we can only ask! otherwise at least now i know how cheap they can go and still make a profit i don't feel cheeky trying to negotiate etc!!

Smiley smile x

• lurvlytwink
    Beginner June 2012
    lurvlytwink ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

thats my motto Smiley smile

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

Exactly! So you have got a good bargaining tool like you say. Let us know what happens!

• S
    Beginner
    silver_butterfly ·
    • Hide content

Yeah please let us know what happens - I'm thinking about getting one of these Groupons for my 2014 wedding. Currently nothing up on Groupon though, I wish they had a wedding section, it would make it so much easier!!

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Doesn't it mean it the voucher has to be used by then, rather than the actual wedding taking place before then?

It says to call to check availability - why not just do that?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics