Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

J
Beginner May 2013

Hair up or hair down on a strapless wedding dress?

jonesy10, 16 August, 2012 at 15:06 Posted on Planning 0 14

I have medium length curly hair and thinking of straightening for wedding day, or is it best to have an up to. Empire line dress with a straight spangly neckline!!

What do you reckon?

14 replies

Latest activity by LeKeuxEvents, 17 August, 2012 at 17:10
  • Vanilla Pod
    Beginner September 2011
    Vanilla Pod ·
    • Hide content

I prefer hair up but whichever suits you better.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

I honestly don't think it matters - have whatever you prefer.

• B
    Beginner September 2012
    bia57 ·
    • Hide content

I'm having mine half up half down. I've also got a strapless dress, but I'm not wearing a veil and my shoulders felt really bare with it all up. I wear my hair down a lot so have gone for half up so that it feels a bit more special than usual.

• J
    Beginner May 2013
    jonesy10 ·
    • Hide content

Yeah I am wearing a veil as getting married in Church, wondering if my neck will be too bare if I have an up do!

• karenanne229
    Beginner October 2013
    karenanne229 ·
    • Hide content

If you're having your hair done for you why not wear a boob tube top and see what looks best with bear shoulders. :o)

• J
    Beginner May 2013
    jonesy10 ·
    • Hide content

Very good idea Smiley smile

• O
    Beginner September 2013
    oggers86 ·
    • Hide content

I prefer up but as I look silly (imo) with my hair up I plan to have mine down and probably curly. My dress is strapless with no spangly bits, my accessories are doing that for me.

• karenanne229
    Beginner October 2013
    karenanne229 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I was due one....it's been a while!

• HLT
    Beginner August 2012
    HLT ·
    • Hide content

I think it totally depends on what you like best and what look you're trying to achieve. I'm having mine up - for me, it's more interesting, shows off the back of my dress and will be the most comfortable. Plus I think it suits the dress.

With an off-the-shoulder dress, I think anything goes., hairstyle wise.

• R
    Expert June 2024
    rachel2012 ·
    • Hide content

My dress is strapless and Im having my hair curly and gathered to the side so it tumbles over one shoulder with a veil and head band, I normally wear my hair up and it is straight so looking forward to having it look totally different for the wedding.

• J
    Beginner May 2013
    jonesy10 ·
    • Hide content

Thats sounds like another option too Smiley smile

• Muesli
    Beginner June 2013
    Muesli ·
    • Hide content

I don't think it matters tbh, On googling lots of hair styles for wedding i have seen great up do's and down do's... It all depends on what looks good on you, which suits you better?! I am planning on having mine down curled and to my right side, I have a scar from an operation recently and want to hide it on my wedding day, hopefully this will cover it Smiley smile.. I am also trying to grow my hair after having it cut recently..(also due to the accident) but may have extensions added to achieve this look too!...

So go with what you feel comfortable with Smiley smile

• L
    Beginner June 2013
    LC to be ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Have you looked at where to get hair extensions yet? I've been thinking about getting some - after a yr of growing my hair still not long enough.

I second everyone that says either style will go. I'd suggest having it different to how you would do every day so it feels a bit more special. So maybe go for it straight if norm curly. My hair is normally straight so I'm planning on having it down but curly

• Muesli
    Beginner June 2013
    Muesli ·
    • Hide content

There is a hair dressing salon near me that do them.. I am going to have a trail soon.. see how i get on with them.. if not i might get some clip in ones, i have used them before and they were amazing Smiley smile

• LeKeuxEvents
    LeKeuxEvents ·
    • Hide content

Hi Jonesy10, I think these are good questions to ask yourself in deciding:

What time of year are you getting married? If it's going to be hot a down do may wilt or be annoying on your neck, if it's likely to be raining, curls may drop.

What flatters your face shape? An up-do with height is wonderful for rounder faces (I know that from personal experience!), heart shape faces look lovely with volumn around the neck and long face shapes suit most styles.

What's most comfortable for you? Do you like your hair set in one place or tousled so you can run your fingers through it, comfort will make you feel and look more radiant on your big day.

Headbands also sit well in up dos or down, combs are better fixed in up dos and don't forget to consider where you'd like your veil, if you're having one to sit, at the nape of your neck it flows elegantly downwards or at the crown of your head it showers over your shoulders.

Hope that's food for thought!

L x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics