Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

E
Beginner July 2023 Leicestershire

Has anyone else bought a highstreet dress?

Ellie, 3 February, 2023 at 10:29 Posted on Wedding Attire 0 15
I assumed I'd go to a boutique and spend a big chunk of budget but when I was just browsing Google looking for styles I like I found a monsoon dress I just really liked. It's very classic, if not a tad old fashioned which kind of goes with my style and the countryside wedding we're planning.

I didn't buy it straight away but then it was half price so I thought I may as well just to try it on and it suited me really well.
I just feel a bit cheap now though, it was less than £300 and I had 1k budgeted. I'm getting it fitted by a seamstress and I'll buy more expensive shoes/accessories.
When I told the groom how much I'd paid he seemed worried and he keeps making jokes about it, he doesn't seem to realise they're upsetting me. His family are posher than mine and his friends cooler which is fine but it's made me doubt myself. He has an aunt who owned a wedding shop and a cousin who designs lingerie. One of the best men is also getting married the week after us which is annoying anyway but it's going to be a much more expensive wedding and people will naturally compare. I hate the idea that people might be commenting on it. Any words of wisdom?

15 replies

Latest activity by Palinkasaf, 15 March, 2023 at 00:42
  • J
    Curious April 2023 Perthshire
    Jo ·
    • Hide content
    All that matters is that you love the dress and you feel amazing in it! People will have their opinions but honestly I think that if you found the one and it's under budget isn't that a win win?!
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

I agree with Jo - all that matters is that you feel amazing in it!

My max budget was £500. I tried on a few dresses that were at the top of that budget, but the one I fell in love with was half the price. I think it's crazy to spend £££s on a dress that you are going to wear for one day (although I've been able to dye my dress so I can wear it again if I ever need a formal gown!)

As for people commenting - if anyone is going to be negative about you wearing a dress you love, what on earth are they doing at your wedding in the first place?!!

I would suggest have a serious conversation with your OH though, and letting him know how you feel. If his family are from a much posher/wealthier background than you, this is likely to pop up in future, so he needs to know how you feel. My OH and I are from similarly wide-apart backgrounds, but he's always respected my views (and I've even converted him to charity-shop shopping now Smiley laugh )

• Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content

Your Wedding, Your Dress, Your Choice! If you feel amazing in it and you love it then is no one elses business! Mine was only 400 and when people found out they were shocked as it looked more, but in honesty, who cares how much it cost? I always believe you can have money but you cant buy taste and class, I used to be a people pleaser but it was so draining, now all I worry about is that I/we are happy and stuff anyone else, they are not living my life, I am and it is the best! Please don't worry about others opinions, you do you X

• S
    Rockstar April 2023 West London
    Sarah ·
    • Hide content

Two friends of mine got married within a few months of each other many years ago.

One spent nearly £2k on her dress. She looked beautiful and loved her dress.

One spent £250 on a dress from Phase Eight. She looked beautiful and loved her dress.

When I look back on all the dresses from all the weddings I’ve been to over the years, the £250 dress is still my favourite overall, but what I remember most strongly from every single one is how happy the bride was.

• R
    Beginner July 2024 Hampshire
    Rachael ·
    • Hide content
    Your guests won’t even realise it’s not an expensive designer gown unless you tell them, as long as you feel confident and beautiful in it, the price shouldn’t matter. You can tell your other half the money you’ve saved on the dress can go towards something else or your honeymoon!
  • Rubi
    Beginner January 2022 Michigan
    Rubi ·
    • Hide content

My spending cap was £500. I tried on a few dresses that were really expensive, but the one I really liked was only half that much. Although I was able to dye my dress so I can wear it again if I ever need a formal gown , I think it's absurd to spend thousands of dollars on a garment that you are only going to wear for one day.

Regarding remarks from others, if somebody is going to be critical of you for wearing a dress you adore, why on earth are they even present at your wedding?

• H
    Expert November 2022 Lincolnshire
    Hayley ·
    • Hide content

I got my dress from Monsoon because they were one of the few places that had the style I wanted. I got a lot of compliments on the day and people were so surprised it was a high street dress. It doesn't matter where your dress came from as long as you feel amazing in it.

Is it just your OH who is making comments at the moment? Just tell him how it is making you feel and you happy with your dress. If you get comments from anyone else about you not spending much then try to turn it around with "I know isn't it great to get such an amazing dress for cheaper than you thought, we have been able to spend that saving in so many ways for the big day!".
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Why on earth are you rewording my comment and pretending it's yours? Are you some kind of spam account?

• L
    Rockstar July 2023 Greater Manchester
    Lisa ·
    • Hide content
    I’d get your other half set straight asap, just because he’s posher or whatever, doesn’t eradicate your feelings. He may not be aware of how it’s making you feel tbf, but also you need to be entering into your marriage feeling like partners.
    It doesn’t matter one jot whose background is better than who’s, you’re both entering into the marriage jointly and together.

As for your dress costing you less than a third of the budget, go you!! You should be doing a little happy dance, of having the dress of your dreams, and it not costing the earth. As long as you love it, that will show when you’re wearing it, and let’s be honest, how many of us know wedding dress designer names before we start planning our own weddings. It’ll be a forgotten detail and no-one will bat an eyelid where you got your dress from, as long as you feel your best self in it.
  • Emily
    Beginner June 2023 East Riding of Yorkshire
    Emily ·
    • Hide content

Mine was less than £200 from Dorothy Perkins and my bridesmaids dresses under £100 each from ASOS! I personally don't see the point in spending thousands so was more than happy with highstreet Smiley smile

• K
    Curious March 2023 Wiltshire
    Karen ·
    • Hide content
    Go for it with expensive accessories and shoes. It's about feeling amazing on the day and if this dress is perfect then that's the one. It's not about the price tag x
  • J
    New York
    Jeremy ·
    • Hide content

Yes, I bought on my wedding and it was amazing. Price was £300 but if dress is perfect then price doesn't matter. HEB Partner

• Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    If you like it it's your choice my dress was under £80 I did budget £2000 but due to eloping with our kids didn't see the point but monsoon dresses are lovely and so different to the wedding dresses in bridal shops and price is no matter all that matters is you like it ignore the bad comments you picked it for a reason x♥️
  • Jocelyn
    Beginner May 2025 West Midlands
    Jocelyn ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I agree with you, if you try it on an you're in love with it, who gaf. Good luck - also would be nice to see the dress!

• Laurie
    Savvy May 2024 Lothian & Borders
    Laurie ·
    • Hide content

I have friends who paid even less for their wedding dresses - if you love the dress AND you've saved money seems like a double win to me! I've also been looking at some of the wedding dresses from Coast, Monsoon and Asos, and plan to visit some secondhand boutiques. I've two friends who got their own dresses from charity shops.
    Also, depending on the dress style and YOUR likes/wants - you could even use the budget you've saved to get some embellishments or alterations made to make it your own. My mum did this for me when I was a university student going to some university ball events - I got a ballgown from Debenhams for about £30 in a sale and she sewed on tiny beads along the neckline and some to make a pattern on the top half of it to make it a bit more unique.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics