Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

*Mini*
Beginner January 2012

Hayfever

*Mini*, 1 June, 2012 at 15:04 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 17

Has ruined my day. I have taken 2 Claratin so I estimate I will be asleep in about 5 minutes but has anyone got any good tips for stopping my nose running like a tap?

17 replies

Latest activity by Mrs C, 6 June, 2012 at 16:36
  • Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content

Sudafed nasal spray. It's miracle stuff!

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

Haymax.

You put it on before the nasty pollen gets up your nose...

Loratadine is the only antihistamine that doesn't send me to sleep.

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

Its the first day of our holiday today and I am so bunged up and grumpy. So cross.

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I second this!

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

Don't waste your money on Clarityn. Tesco/Boots own brand loratadine is as effective and won't send you to sleep. I also find Pirinase very effective, though sadly I don't think there is a generic version of this.

If the OTC remedies don't work, your GP can prescribe some stronger stuff.

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I meant to say I get Asda own brand - £1 for 14 days.

• Missus S
    Missus S ·
    • Hide content

I use pirinase nasal spray but you need a few days to build it up. If you are just bunged up try optrivine in the short term

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

What is the active ingredient in the claratin you have?

I suffer with hayfever and find any tablets containing Cetirizine Hydrochloride makes me really sleepy/drowsy so i stick with loratadine based tablets and don't have any side effects......As others are recommend you can save lots of money by buying supermarket/boots own brand versions.

• Rizzo
    Beginner July 2011
    Rizzo ·
    • Hide content

Another vote for Haymax. Master Moo gets hayfever and it isn't as bad since he's been using this.

• Bittersweet
    Beginner June 2012
    Bittersweet ·
    • Hide content

I have suffered with hayfever since I Was 15, so 13 years. I use the supermarket own brands as I find that they work just as well as the highly marketed brands, and for less money too. I have also been using this too http://www.google.co.uk/gwt/x?gl=GB&hl=en-GB&u=http://www.lloydspharmacy.com/en/allergy-reliever-15677&q=lloyds+pharmacy+hayfever+nose+probe&ei=8ALJT-3uAsTG8gPsk9kB&sa=X&ct=res&resnum=2&ved=0CA4QFjAB Its great and can use it lots in a day. Even though it lights up my nose like Rudolf for a few minutes!

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

I would normally only buy own brand but MrMini got them for me thinking they would be better ️⭐️

I have some tescos ones and the active ingredient is lotoradene...am really hoping this sorts it out before I head off to spend 3 days in a field next week.

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

I also use the Lloyds nasal probe and have done for about 3 years now. It keeps it at bay although this year, I haven't been too bothered by hay fever. I only suffer with tree and grass pollen and not floral pollen. I think because March and April were so rainy, I missed out on the tree season. When my nose won't stop running, I use Beconase spray as I can't take antihistamines as I'm on blood pressure medication.

• Figs
    Beginner June 2012
    Figs ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Me too. Amazing stuff.

• B
    Beginner May 2013
    boussiko ·
    • Hide content

I also find Pirinase very effective, though sadly I don't think there is a generic version of this.

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

No suggestions to prevent the runny nose syndrome, although I was advised by a pharmacist that if I was about to start a sneezing session, to press really hard on the top lip underneath my nose.....amazingly it does prevent the sneezes....for me. The other symptoms still prevail though...

Interstingly I have never ever had hayfever whilst shooting a wedding........that doesn't make sense really given the environments we work in and proximity to flowers.....?

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Depends on what you are allergic to... for me it is those pretty yellow fields and certain types of trees/grass... not flowers!

• *JLS*
    Beginner July 2012
    *JLS* ·
    • Hide content

I get quite bad hayfever and have been struggling recently as the pollen levels have been rising. My main issue is that I am allergic to antihistamines so I can't take them to help me Smiley smile Anyone know of any antihistamine free allergy relief out there?

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

Keep your nose covered in Haymax... it sounds daft but it really does help! You can't react to the pollen if it can't get in there!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics