Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner June 2011

Hayfever Dilemma - Whats your best solutions?

laura2107, 5 June, 2011 at 15:13 Posted on Planning 0 13

Hi Gilrs & Guys,

I have less than 2 weeks till my wedding and these last few days my hayfever has been horrendous!! Do you lovely people have any solutions so that im not all bunged up and sniffly on my big day? I would hate to have to keep blowing my nose and sneezing at all the wrong times!!

I have tried so many different one a day tabets over the years but nothing seems to really get rid for the whole day!

If you could help it would be such a relief for me...in more ways than one!!!!!

Thank you Smiley smile xx

13 replies

Latest activity by Browny, 6 June, 2011 at 09:16
  • Tray1980
    Beginner July 2013
    Tray1980 ·
    • Hide content

I am asthmatic and hayfever really does make it worse! I've got a prescription hayfever medication from my GP that I take once tablet at night and it lasts for 24 hours (and I live across the stream from a rape oil seed field and still get no reaction!)

Its brand name is singulair but may be in the doctors books as montelukast and it really is fantastic stuff. Might be worth going to your GP and asking about?

• L
    Beginner August 2012
    Lillibet ·
    • Hide content

Don't have any suggestions for short term I'm afraid, but long term being vegetarian stopped my hayfever!

I used to suffer incredibly badly with it. Then I went veggie for 4 years (until I crumpled under the pressure of chorizo haha), but no sign of hayfever either during or since veggiedom! I've tried to think of other reasons why it could have just stopped like that but couldn't, and it sort of makes sense that diet influences it so thats what I put it down to!

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

This is one of the main reasons I didn't want a summer wedding!

I use loratadine once a day, and when it gets really bad I add in a fluticasone nasal spray (marketed as flixonase or pirinase). For my eyes I use cromoglicate eye drops - Boots own brand is just as good as opticrom. All of these are available without prescription and are cheaper to buy OTC, but if you've tried all that and still no relief, speak to your GP as they can prescribe stronger stuff like fexofenadine.

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

I have a natural remedy called HayMax. You put it on the end of your nose and it prevents the pollen spores getting far enough in to your nose to cause problems... sounds rubbish but it really works!! I use it before I go to bed, as soon as I wake up and then keep reapplying during the day. Its not shiny, doesn't smell and really does the job.

If for any reason I have forgotten to put it on or the pollen is really strong then I use Loratine once a day tablets, nasal spray occasionally and the unbranded version of opticrom. But these are really only last resorts if the HayMax hasn't been effective.

I only developed hayfever about 5 years ago, this year (touch wood) so far hasn't been too bad, except this morning!!

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

My hayfever is awful- go to the GP and they can give you some tablets for it. One thing have found helped me is cutting out milk/dairy- I used to be bunged up and snotty every morning but since cutting out the milk have been much better- may be worth a try?

• L
    Beginner
    loonymoon ·
    • Hide content

My hayfever is usually really bad, though I don't seem to be suffering with it too much yet this year. However i am using Tesco's nasal spray (same as beconase but cheaper). I find the nasal sprays the most effective but you do have to keep using them as the effect kind of builds up. When I'm really bad I have to use the tablets eg clarytin or piriteze and eye drops as well as the nasal spray, miss any one of those out and I suffer!

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

I use the Lloyds nasal light because I can't take hayfever tablets as I'm on Blood Pressure medication. It really does work. 2 mins on a morning and I'm fine for the rest of the day.

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

Another tip I find works is to rub a small amount of Vaseline inside your nostrils and this traps the pollen before it reaches your sinuses.

• kerrylou89
    Beginner August 2011
    kerrylou89 ·
    • Hide content

Typical the year im getting married im suffering so much, i look like ive had 10rounds with mike tyson my eyes are red, puffy and so blood shot, im going to get some eye drops tomorrow and see if they work as i cannot be doing with rubbing my eyes on the day of the wedding. I usually just use priteze tablets but they dont seem to be helping at all this year Smiley sad

• L
    Beginner June 2011
    laura2107 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone for your help its really appreciated. I am going to be buying a lot of hayfever products and doing a lot of trials this week! Silly enough I didnt think about hayfever before deciding on a month. I just cant be cold on my big day and i feel the cold quite a bit so picked a month where it should (hopefully) be nice.

I never like sticking things up my nose but i might bite the bullet and try a nasal spray! Its got to be worth a try!! I have tried the Llloyds pharmacy thing and that doesnt seem to help me.

kerrylou I am the same!! i havent suffered this bad in quite a while i dont know why! Does anyone know if taking a pain killer helps at all? i feel like i need to take more than one of the 'one a day' tablets!

thank you everyone!!! Now the countdown and trials begins!!!! xxx

• C
    Civil Ceremonies ·
    • Hide content

Doctors will only prescribe steroids (prednisolone) as a last resort and only for a very short period of time. However, if you have no issues with this, it may well be worth paying him/her a visit, explaining your situation and telling them that whilst you are happy to take the usual remedies you would like to be ok on your wedding day as they are just not working this time. He/She may be sympathetic. You would see a difference on day 1.

• Naboo
    Beginner
    Naboo ·
    • Hide content

My hayfever has sgtarted with avengance this weekend grrrr, i have suffered with it all my life and like Tray is linked to my asthma although asthma has got less severe as I have got older. I have never found any tablets that work but use beconease nasal spray twice a day and that builds up a resistance and when my eyes are bad otrivine eye drops really do the trick, although initially feels awful and then sorts them in no time! I also started to take a spoonful of local honey last year on the recommednation on the doctor as it build your bodys natural resistance to the pollen in your area apparently and I think it helped although still needed my other stuff!

Mrs C where do you get the HayMax from? that sounds like it is worth a go!

• kerrylou89
    Beginner August 2011
    kerrylou89 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

i take prednisolone regularly due to my RA and it dosent help me at all Smiley sad wonder if its because my body is immune to it now.. think i shall be going to chemist today and if no luck off to the doctors.. i never get it a second thought getting married in august about the hayfever Smiley smile

• Browny
    Beginner June 2011
    Browny ·
    • Hide content

I find a combination of things work - hayfever tablets with Cetirizine in it, Beconase nasel spray (sometimes that will just work on its own except when the pollen count is high - its amazing!) and also eye drops but I dont use them very often - maybe once a year if my eyes are so itchy I cant stand it!

Honestly try Beconase if you havent already!

xxxx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics