Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner November 2024 Derbyshire

Help! Looking for small reasonably priced venues!

Shannon, 16 of March of 2022 at 23:48 Posted on Planning 0 14

I'm having a crisis and I have no idea what to do now! My dream wedding had a guest count of around 90 (we have huge families, this number includes minimal friends) at a Manor, which was looking like it was going to cost around £20K. Whilst we both have good jobs, the idea of spending this amount seems absurd! We are both young, we've just bought our first house and want to work on the house & be able to do some travelling before we have children. After much heartache, I've decided maybe the only options are to have a small wedding or even elope. I figure later on in life we could always throw a larger one for a vow renewal, perhaps?

Anyway, I'm thinking around £10K (even better if under though - obviously!) for a wedding. I'm now trying to find some places which are more within this budget and I'm looking for suggestions. We'll be having a civil ceremony so a place where everything could be done would be ideal and any venues with packages would be helpful to ease any stress!

I'm open to any location at this point. I'm based in Derbyshire and work in Cheshire. I have family in Yorkshire and Lancashire. We also love the Lake District. So I really do mean it when I say I'm open!

Any help would really be appreciated before I have a meltdown. Smiley heart

14 replies

Latest activity by Michelle, 24 of June of 2022 at 16:02
  • T
    Rockstar May 2022 Oxfordshire
    Tamsin ·
    • Hide content
    Is there a village hall or similar you could hire for your reception? That really brings the price down! It might require some connections though. My family home is in a very small village in Oxfordshire and that’s where we’re getting married. Church service, then reception in the hall, marquees, and (weather permitting) my parents’ garden. The hall and marquees are about £100 for the weekend - but can only be rented by someone from the village. Look for local towns or villages with halls you could rent, not every village will be as strict as ours. Our 100 person wedding is coming in under £10K and could definitely be less than that, but it’s a figure we’re happy with. Good luck whatever you decide!
  • Yorkshirelass
    Super July 2022 Surrey
    Yorkshirelass ·
    • Hide content
    Village hall is a great idea. My cousin had his wedding reception in a village hall a few years ago and it was lovely. Maybe a bit chilly at times as it unfortunately chucked it down with rain in May but the actual do was great. They got caterers in to do the meal, they had a bottle bar and later in the evening a hog roast.
    Decorations were not much, some wild flowers in jars on tables and bunting around the room which I suspect they did themselves.
    It can be done to whatever budget you set yourselves nowadays and there are so many ideas on EBay and Etsy plus in high street stores like Hobbycraft who have a big wedding section for DIYers.
  • Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    A village hall sounds amazing loads of ideas to keep costs down light in the box is a good one to look at too x💗
  • Katie
    Beginner October 2022 Derbyshire
    Katie ·
    • Hide content
    I'm based in the High Peak so I feel your pain! We've got big numbers as well (115 day). The more reasonable ones I found were the Lee Wood in Buxton and Alma Lodge on the A6. Further afield if you want to save money, Stoke is cheaper in general with good transport links or Stockport Town Hall is actually really pretty. Smaller end and DIY, Hayfield Town Hall, Spring Arts Centre in New Mills or the Mechanics institute in Whaley. X
  • Ginny
    Curious July 2022 Essex
    Ginny ·
    • Hide content
    If you're flexible on the day maybe you can make a saving there - we're getting married on a Tuesday and it was so so much cheaper than a weekend! Also buying a house so trying to keep costs down by diying alot of stuff.

Also I've heard that you can negotiate prices for venues if it's shorter notice it's better to have an event that nothing and they're unlikely to fill a location at short notice? Channels Estate is deffo worth considering? Maybe too far though
  • Richard
    Dedicated May 2022 Berkshire
    Richard ·
    • Hide content
    We have just under 90 coming to the hotel du vin in Birmingham city centre in a historic hospital and total is around 11k with canapes, drinks, three course meal and snacks in the evening on a early summer Saturday. If you would consider a city centre wedding, then would suggest looking at malmaison or hotel du vin
  • Zoe
    Curious February 2023 Derbyshire
    Zoe ·
    • Hide content
    Have you looked at Shottle Hall in Belper…. Not far from you?
    If you can do a week day/off peak youd do it with in your budget….. Good luck xx
  • T
    Rockstar May 2022 Oxfordshire
    Tamsin ·
    • Hide content
    I know a few people have suggested mid week but do think carefully about it from your guests’ perspectives before booking a week day. I don’t really like being asked to take a day off work to go to a wedding, and half the time you have to take 2 days to actually get to the place…
  • Sunnyredhair13
    Beginner May 2022 Cheshire
    Sunnyredhair13 ·
    • Hide content

We are having a twilight wedding as we have 70 people ALL of whom are just family and didn't want to cut anyone out. I also personally feel that weddings can't half drag on sometimes so we are getting married at golden hour and going straight into the reception. We have found a great venue that is very quirky (Oddfellows in Chester) and all in will be £8k. We are paying a venue dresser though to make some changes which is coming to around £1.2k so maybe something like this would be a good option for you?

• Sophie
    Savvy November 2023 Derbyshire
    Sophie ·
    • Hide content
    Hi! We’re doing our whole day for just under £8k so I feel you on the budget. We’ve booked The Plough Inn at Eaton and they offer great packages but I think their max capacity is 70 so if there’s wiggle room on your guest list they may be an option. We also looked at the New Bath Hotel in Matlock Bath which was coming in at a reasonable price and was also lovely. Another option is the Ensana Hotel Buxton Crescent. We never got a price from them but it may be worth contacting them. For the Lake District have a look at the Beech Hill Hotel and Spa in Windermere, beautiful setting and they offer decent packages too.
  • S
    Shannon ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for everyone's suggestions! I am looking into them all now. Smiley heart

• S
    Shannon ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi Tamsin, I agree - our families being located all over the UK (and including some abroad), we're having to ideally do a Saturday so that we don't put people out as it means more to me that they all be there. Smiley smile

• S
    Shannon ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We actually looked at the Plough Inn on Thursday, I really liked it and they said they could host our 80/90 guests, but my partner is a bit unsure as he doesn't think there is enough room for all those people and feels like everyone would be squashed. He was also concerned about the beams being in the way of people's visibility of the ceremony so now I feel stuck again! Smiley ups

• Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    Hi you might have done this have you done a search on here or google it there are loads of amazing venues in cheshire and derbyshire x💗

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics