Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Emma S
Beginner June 2012

HELP! Pregnant bridesmaid!

Emma S, 24 October, 2011 at 20:37

Posted on Planning 190

Hi all, My bridesmaid called me last night to tell me that she is expecting. We, along with my other bridesmaid, were planning to go bridesmaid dress shopping this weekend. She has told me that she still wants to be my bridesmaid, even though she think she is due 20 days after the wedding! So, how...

Hi all,

My bridesmaid called me last night to tell me that she is expecting.

We, along with my other bridesmaid, were planning to go bridesmaid dress shopping this weekend.

She has told me that she still wants to be my bridesmaid, even though she think she is due 20 days after the wedding!

So, how do I go about this? When do I order her dress? One thing that I really wanted is for the girls to be in matching dresses - is this now still possible? Also, where can I get maternity bridesmaid dresses from?

Please help as I am now starting to stress! The wedding is in June.

Thank you! xx

190 replies

• T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh dear....

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Really? You have that low an opinion of "people"?

• Spangler
    Beginner September 2010
    Spangler ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

No, they wouldn't. Again like CB said, we "employed" our BMs because they are/were important to us. Not because of the way they look. How ridiculous.

• Pinky6
    Beginner June 2012
    Pinky6 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

HAHAHAHA. Now you really are being ridiculous AJ. Your views are very old fashioned which is fine as long as you back them up which is something you never do and why people get on your back so much.

I think the bride would have to be very paranoid to think that her pregnant bridesmaid would upstage her, this again comes down to personal preference of both the bride and bridesmaid.

• T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

The thought wouldnt even enter my head.

• Pinky6
    Beginner June 2012
    Pinky6 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Nor would it mine, the only feelings I would have would be massive excitement for one of the people closest to me.

• far2calm
    Beginner May 2012
    far2calm ·
    • Hide content

Well reading thru that killed half an hour.

At a friends wedding last year one of the girls was bridesmaid and heavily pregnant, and she looked stunning, like others have said panels were added to her dress. It never took anything away from the bride, not a tiny thing.

Dont worry if you know what the situtation is now, you can prepare for it.

As for the comments made on here today.... CRAZY!!! Very discriminating I feel ?

• T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is typical Hitched! We're not a fluffy forum; although I have to say I havent seen it get personal like that for a while.

• far2calm
    Beginner May 2012
    far2calm ·
    • Hide content

Oh no no, if I had clocked this thread earlier I would have been right in putting my opinion in.

I work with mainly men, I have debates like this on a daily basis, especially working in Payroll, when women have so many rights when its comes to pregancy! ha ha ha

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I've just come out of the most boring snoring presentation ever and this made me LOL!!!!! ?

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

So to summarise...Girls we shouldn't have as bridesmaids:

Pregnant ones - They'll pull focus from the bride. Grandmas will tut, in spite of an obvious wedding ring.

Fat ones - They, um, I don't know, might not fit their dress, was there any reason put forward for this?

Pretty ones - They'll pull focus, not only from the bride but from all the other female guests, who are naturally fuming at having to share a room with someone so beautiful.

Skinny ones - They'll pull focus from the bride and further feed the insecurities of the already sulking female guests (see above).

Tall ones - They'll pull focus upwards, possibly over the bride's head. Guests will say they are "leggy", like it's an insult.

Short ones - They'll pull focus downwards, next to the bride's bottom. Guests will pat them on the head.

Ugly ones - They'll put people off their food.

Visually-impaired ones - Guests will point and laugh. Possibly while using a the phrase "Speccy four eyes".

Busty ones - They'll pull focus. Guests will want to twang their bra straps.

Any more?

• T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content

Nope, think you've covered it all.

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

Could we maybe have hemaphradites (SP!!!!) as bridesmaids???

• Pinky6
    Beginner June 2012
    Pinky6 ·
    • Hide content

Children should really be banned too, I mean cute kids all dresses up will turn everyone's focus from the bride

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hermaphrodites? Surely they'd pull focus more than any other category I've listed, what with their manginas and all that wrongness?

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

And apparently all children cry all the time. So I've heard.

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh yeah, good point.

• T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

??

My favourite quote from Footlong.

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

Wow.

That is all.

I can't wait for the day I own a glass house as substational as aj's...

• Emma S
    Beginner June 2012
    Emma S ·
    • Hide content

WOW! What have I started?! I've come home from work to find all of this!

For those that have given advice and sensible suggestions, you have really helped.

I have spoken to my bridesmaid today and as she is my best friend, regardless of her shape / size I will be having her as my bridesmaid as she has told me that she wants to be part of our day.

We are still going dress shopping on Sunday and I am sure we will find the perfect style to suit her lovely baby bump!

xx

• ScillyB2B
    Beginner June 2012
    ScillyB2B ·
    • Hide content

Wow, looks like I have missed something here. Bang go the revision plans looks like 13 pages of fun...

• Mrs_imp
    Beginner June 2012
    Mrs_imp ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm glad that you had a chat with her and that you are both happy about it. Have a great time shopping for dresses!

Beginner
    28/07/12bride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Exactly what CB said! (not sure how I missed this thread yesterday!!)

I have just read the whole thread and am genuinely shocked at the opinions on here, I realise hitched isn't a 'fluffy' forum, but some things are just plain ridiculous!

*goes off to continue lurking on other more gentle threads

• vicster
    Beginner December 2011
    vicster ·
    • Hide content

Emma, delighted to hear it got sorted and that you've come to a decision that you are both happy with. Exciting!!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics