Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

bluebell16
Beginner September 2012

Help - Pregnant Bridesmaid!

bluebell16, 20 January, 2012 at 22:42 Posted on Planning 0 12

Hi guys, i dont post often but i'm really struggling as what to do. my cbm has found out she is pregnant and her due date is only 3 weeks before the wedding. she's my cousin but we are more like sisters. she is only 19 and is a bit of a scatter brain so thinks she will be fine to carry on being my bm. thing is no one else in the wedding party knows yet and i'm really wanting to order the girls dresses. h2b is puzzled as what to do like me.

do i ask her to step down as a bm? do i order the other girls dresses and wait till the last ordering day to order her's for size even though if she doesnt go on her due date the baby could be only a few days old. also i have been very strict with my no kids at wedding rule....

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

12 replies

Latest activity by pezgirl, 22 January, 2012 at 12:15
  • venart
    Beginner June 2013
    venart ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't ask her to step down, but I'd instead ask her what she wants to do. Having a newborn baby is very tiring, and chances are she won't last through the day and night. She'll probably be breastfeeding several times throughout the day, and with her night nursing schedule, she'll probably be used to napping when the baby sleeps as well. If she really wants to be a bridesmaid, I wouldn't deny her, but she may very well opt out when she realizes how busy she'll be with a newborn.

If she does stay a BM, the only problem is that the dress will have to accommodate for her changed size after the baby comes. If it's an empire waist like the other poster said, no real problem, just go up a size or two from her size now and have it altered within a couple weeks of the wedding to bring it in where it needs to be.

Good luck!

• N
    Beginner June 2012
    nicadele ·
    • Hide content

This happened to me with 2 of my bridesmaids been pregnant but this was after we had bought dresses etc. one of them is due a couple of weeks after the wedding. I didn't ask her to step down she told me she wouldn't be able to do it. I was gutted but understood and wen I asked her she did always say she was trying! I'm also gutted as this May even mean she can't be at the wedding but I'm so very pleased for her after years of trying.

My other BM didn't plan it however her baby is due 2 and half months before the wedding so she said she still wants to be bm although I'm unsure if she realises how demanding a new born baby will be.

My advice is leave the decision as to whether she want to continue to be a bridesmaid upto her as each person is different and it could ruin your friendship if u ask her to step down. I would prob look at dresses with empire line which will still look beautiful on your pregnant bm.

• F
    Beginner April 2012
    futureMrsM ·
    • Hide content

I had same with my bm and left it up to her she decided to step down as we had issues with dress i had already bought them and she wouldnt fit it.

I had my baby 25th sept and went to my bros wedding when he was 2 weeks old like previous poster said he slept through the mojority waking for a few feeds he did become very grumpy by 9pm bless him and i didnt like the drunken family members wanting to hold him haha my bros wife asked me if i waned to be a bridesmaid she got let down last minute by hers but i personally didnt feel up to it i was still very sore and couldnt be on my feet much (tmi bad tear) i fely huge in everything haha but everyone is diff speak to ur bridesmaid see what she things

also echo what venart says it is very tiring for a good month or 2 i was napping whenever lo did i found my bros wedding very tiring and i was just a guest

• Sloth
    Sloth ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't ask her to step down - though I would accept that if she didn't want to do it, even at the last minute, that is the situation and dates. Unfortunate but depends on pregnancy/early days of having a baby. I would trust she will do all she can to support and be there on the day.

I don't think you can include breast feeding babies in any no children rule - else she won't be able to come to any of it which would upset me more. Though I am enforcing this rule and currently don't know of any new babies I will have to accept.

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content

My cousin is my MoH, and like you, we are like sisters. She told me that she was planning to try for a baby, so she would be about ready to give birth at the wedding. As it happens, circumstances have changed and she no longer is.

As she is your CBM, why not have a high street dress for her, so she stands out from the others as she is CBM. That way, it can be bought a week before the wedding, from a maternity section of a shop if needed?

• EmmaRose33
    Beginner
    EmmaRose33 ·
    • Hide content

She probably won't go early, I bet she'll be overdue.

She will need a dress with lots of space though. A regular empire line dress probably won't fit over a full term bump and if it does the dress will lift at the front, it needs to be a maternity dress or one made especially for her. Perhaps a wrap around style would give more flexibility.

You should also bare in mind that being pregnant she will be more likely to be unwell on the day. She might get high blood pressure at the end of her pregnancy or something, you never know.

• Mrs P 2 B
    Beginner January 2012
    Mrs P 2 B ·
    • Hide content

My bridesmaid is due two day after the wedding! Now that's close.. currently she's really up for it however maybe in labour on the day!! i'll wait till the very end and get her a dress from the high street maternity section if she would still like to be a BM. My other opition is not to have her walking up the isle as i can imagine is really uncomfortable that close to the end and have her in the front pew with flowers and then in all my official photos as BM.

• Pinky6
    Beginner June 2012
    Pinky6 ·
    • Hide content

I think if you are quite flexible then you could just give her the decision as to what she wants to do. Have you started looking at BM dresses yet? When's your wedding? Because you could just go on the high street for them as there are some perfectly nice one's on there. Or go for a more Grecian style floaty dress that could be easily altered. I wouldn't ask her to step down, I would be pretty annoyed if my best friend asked me to step down as her CBM if I get pregnant before her wedding, but I know she wouldn't.

• Random Name
    Random Name ·
    • Hide content

One of my bridesmaids is due on 7th and I get married on 23rd. The girls dresses are being made. Am currently deciding whether to have her measured and her dress made at the end of May and can then be talking in if needed or wait until she gives birth.

Either way she is still going to be my bridesmaid.

• LuLu_x
    Beginner May 2012
    LuLu_x ·
    • Hide content

My BM is 6mths pregnant and we justpicked and ordered her dress yesterday in the size she is just now and will have it taken in 2 weeks before the big day, shes due 5 weeks before the wedding, i gave her the option of standing down if it was too stressful but she's decided not too.

We're having her husband and son at the wedding aswell but her mum is going to help out in the morning getting the baby ready and bringing her to the venue so she can relax a wee bit on the day.

• pezgirl
    Beginner June 2012
    pezgirl ·
    • Hide content

My CBM is due 2 days before my wedding! We had "the discussion" a few weeks ago about how we both felt (she actually brought it up) and I gave her the option to just be a guest, but she really wants to be my CBM (we've been best friends since we were 2). She understands that she probably won't be up to doing the usual bridesmaidy things (i.e. she won't be staying with me the night before, or looking after me on the day) but she really wants to be there to support me on the day. Essentially, she'll walk down the aisle with my other BM and be in photos and that's all she needs to do. Smiley smile If she's not up for it on the day, then that's fine... neither of us know how she's going to feel at 9 months!

Regarding dresses, we're getting her dress nearer the time in the same colour as my other BM, but likely to be a different style. She's 4 1/2 months now, and you wouldn't know she was pregnant from behind! Haha.

We're just both being flexible and honest about it, which I think is the best way. And my other BM knows that she is to step up! Smiley smile x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics