Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

C
Beginner June 2022 Merseyside

Help! Worried About Fitting in Wedding Dress Samples

Coco, 9 of June of 2022 at 14:23 Posted on Wedding Attire 1 17

Hi everyone,

I am starting to look for a wedding dress, but feel a bit nervous about it!

I am roughly a UK 20-22.

I've started looking to book into UK boutiques to try dresses on, and whilst I appreciate there shouldn't be a problem buying one - it seems most dresses usually go up to sizes 30 (or even above) - I'm really worried about trying samples on!

One boutique I'm looking at has samples only in a 10. Realistically, with all the tips and tricks wedding stores have, what sort of size will I be able to get into in the store? Will I even be able to get somewhat into a 12/14 wedding dress to get an idea of how it could look?

I'm really scared about booking an appointment and not being able to try a single dress on. How many sizes down can you 'try on' (appreciate it'll be completely unzipped etc!), and how do they manage it?

I know I'm larger than average but I'm not gigantic, so just don't want to book somewhere that won't let me try anything on and make me feel awful! I'm looking at ballgown/A line styles, nothing fitted, if that makes a difference?

Thank you in advance x

17 replies

Latest activity by Kayleigh, 21 of June of 2022 at 17:09
  • Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content

I am a uk 16 and when trying dresses I found that you would need to buy a size up. In terms of samples, i would suggest calling them in advance and asking what samples they carry and would you realistically be able to try. i know it may be hard to discuss, but is better to know in advance than turn up and not be able to try. Lots of places do carry bigger samples and they are amazing at making them fit when they are too small so you can get an idea.

I get your concerns about clingy, but due to the way wedding dresses are structured I found that the tighter ones were actually more flattering so try not to panic too much, go with an open mind and if you have called ahead I am sure you will find some styles that will work

• Yorkshirelass
    Super July 2022 Surrey
    Yorkshirelass ·
    • Hide content
    Agree with Charlotte, I would call a few shops and ask about sample sizes first as you may find it more upsetting to turn up and not be able to put any dresses on. I don’t know where you are based but there is the famous Curves and Couture shop in Essex which features on Tv. They definitely carry larger sizes to try on.
    https://www.curvesandcouture.co.uk/

Not sure if that’s any good for you.
    Bridal dresses are definitely on the small size. I wear a UK size 12/14 and one dress she put me in was an 18. I have ended up with a size 16 which they had to alter as too big on the bust 🙄
  • C
    Coco ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks ladies for your inputs!

I guess I'm just wondering whether I'll be vaguely able to get any of the smaller dresses on! I don't really understand how I, as a 20, would be able to tell if I like a dress in a sample size 10...

I suppose there must be ways to make the dresses look 'right' when trying on but it's whether I could even get my hips into the small sizes. Would they just tell me not to try on?

Thanks!

• Ajx
    Dedicated April 2024 West Yorkshire
    Ajx ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Could you not go and look for some sample dresses online, of things you think you might like, ask a few shops if they stock those style dresses in larger styles and if not could they maybe get some in? I get where you're coming from, you may not like any of the dresses that they have in a sample larger size. Hopefully you find a shop that's accommodating and you can find your perfect dress x

• Mrsjones2024
    Rockstar June 2024 Essex
    Mrsjones2024 ·
    • Hide content
    Wedding dresses are notoriously small. I’m a 12 and they said they’d order a 16 for me and take it in (I’m hourglass shaped with big hips and a big bum!). They have pieces of white material they can use to attach to each side of the fastening so that you can get the idea of what it would look like done up.
    I’d definitely agree with calling ahead. Wed2B stock dresses in all sizes. May be worth checking them out?
  • C
    Coco ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's so helpful - never realised that's how they did it! Thank you!

• Mrsjones2024
    Rockstar June 2024 Essex
    Mrsjones2024 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    No problem! Have fun trying dresses on! X
  • Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    Hi coco i noticed your are in liverpool there is a bridal shop on Aigburth road that caters for the plus size bride Beautiful Brides the owner is called Marissa she is amazing i haven't beem my self but the video and comments from people i know have been say she is amazing x💗
  • Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    Help! Worried About Fitting in Wedding Dress Samples 1
    Hope this helps x💗
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

Check out https://www.blueandsixpence.co.uk/ It was set up by someone who used to be on this forum.

• Maria
    Beginner February 2023 Buckinghamshire
    Maria ·
    • Hide content
    I am the same size and I am worried to go and try as well.
    I completely understand you. I decided to go simple and save some money and I am gonna try some from street shops.
  • Leanne
    Dedicated September 2022 West Yorkshire
    Leanne ·
    • Hide content

I went to wed2b and went for corset style top part so this way it can be adjusted to my figure and also being a curvy Lady found this has worked well and also i only needed the straps to be adjusted :-) i rang ahead to check the stock and was in and out very quickly but this was down to my careful planning.

what i will say is don't get hung up on what the label size says and just find something you feel beautiful in and remember you are fabulous x

• G
    Curious October 2022 North Yorkshire
    Georgie ·
    • Hide content
    I really want to say don’t worry as you don’t need to, but I don’t it’s easier said than done.
    Many good bridal shops will stock dresses in a range of sizes. The shop I used to work for stocked samples from a 6 to a 26. I agree with some of the above comments about forward planning. When you start calling round a few shops, ask them plenty of questions about the dresses they stock - styles/sizes/colours/fastenings (corset/zip) - but also be honest with them about any worries you have. It really helps when you know what might be causing a bride some concerns. A little bit of home work before hand goes a long way towards having a great time finding your dress.
    I also agree with one of the comments about not getting hung up on the size on the label - that genuinely is the least important part of choosing your wedding dress. Instead focus on finding a dress you enjoy wearing! Feeling happy and comfortable and confident are the things that really matter when choosing your dress.
  • K
    Dedicated June 2023 Essex
    Kirsty ·
    • Hide content
    Hey lovely. I am the same size as you and I had all the same worries and anxieties about it. I did alot of research into bridal shops and looked at all the reviews. The shop I went for had many reviews saying how they had a good plus size section.

I then spoke to that shop on the phone and they were so lovely, they reassured me and even phoned me the week of my appointment to see how I was.
    I had the best experience and they had so many plus size dresses for me and I had such a great time and I didn't feel self conscious at all. I tried on 8 dresses in total before I found the one and all 8 were my size or bigger.
    I think you just need to contact a few shops and ask about their plus size selection and how many they stock. Also check out their Facebook and Google reviews, as that may give you an idea of what other curvy brides have said.
    Don't be too worried, I'm sure you will have a great time 😊
  • L
    Dedicated June 2019
    LuxuriousPurpleBridesmaid73066 ·
    • Hide content
    Definitely phone ahead and see what they have in plus size that you can try on. I ended up going through to Glasgow which is around 50 miles away from me to visit a shop that did nothing but plus size from size 18. I ended up with a size 24 dress and I’m the same size as you.

I had a horrible experience in my home city first at a shop that claimed to do plus size. They said they could hold the dress up against me to see what it looked like before I ordered it.
  • Ostira
    Dedicated October 2023 Durham
    Ostira ·
    • Hide content
    I completely get you! I went to a bridal shop and she said what’s your usual dress size, i said I’m a 20 in M&S ( usually need to size up for them!) and she pulled out a size 16 and said “this SHOULD fit you” and I wasn’t filled with confidence on that. In the end, I’ve decided to just buy my dress online at Monsoon although it is good to try on dresses in a shop first as it gives you an idea of what suits you and what you feel comfy in and also what styles you may need to size up in.
  • Kayleigh
    Rockstar October 2023 Bristol
    Kayleigh ·
    • Hide content

I've just gone ahead and bought my dress online lol. I've got a size 20 and if I find its a bit tight I've bought a corset kit to sew in in place of a zip. I am kind of dreading it being far too small but I'll find out when it comes x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics