Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Charlotte
Dedicated July 2022 Durham

Hen do concern

Charlotte, 26 of January of 2022 at 15:48 Posted on Etiquette and Advice 0 21
Hello, I've left my maid of honor and bridesmaid plan my hen do along with my future mum in law. However, we were discussing ideas last week on what we could actually do and who I'd like there etc. Then my maid of honor announced a friend of hers was going to my hen do. Now I don't really know alot about her however, I get really bad anxiety and if I know she'll be somewhere where ill have to make conversation with her, I end up in a panic attack beforehand. She ignores me, flirts with my fiancé in front of me, looks me up and down etc. My fiancé has noticed this and isn't keen on her either however, my maid of honor is his sister, so the friend has been in their life since they were little. I accepted the fact of her being at our wedding, for my future sister in law. However, I really don't know what to do regarding my hen. My fiance said he would mention it to his mum and explain that I want just close family for my hen. Or should I just suck it up and deal with it? I must sound like real judgemental person and I'm honestly not. Any advice???

21 replies

Latest activity by Michelle, 31 of January of 2022 at 18:30
  • E
    Savvy April 2022 Essex
    Emma ·
    • Hide content
    Absolutely acceptable not to want this girl to your hen do. If fiancé’s sister wants to go out with this woman she can do it at another time and no need to invite her to YOUR hen do! She makes you feel uncomfortable and flirts with your hubby to be. Fair enough to leave MOH and bridesmaids to arrange a hen do for you but you have the right to tell them who you’d like to invite and maybe ideas of what you’d like to do. That’s what I did! I made a group chat with who I wanted to come, ideas of what I’d like to do and then came out of the chat and left it to MOH. Maybe do something similar? Please do not let your hen do get ruined by someone you don’t need to be there.
    To be honest even with her coming to the wedding, it’s yours and fiancé’s wedding and if you didn’t want her there then you didn’t have to have her there. Seems a bit like your future sister in law thinks this is her do
  • Charlotte
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks Emma. I wasn't pleased about the wedding but after some thought we agreed it would keep his sister busy for the evening do, and he did grow up with the friend so I agreed to the evening. There will be loads of people on the evening I won't notice.
    I thought I was turning extremely judgmental or into a bridezilla haha. Which I'd hate. Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely set up another chat, as we did have one, but it's changed subjects somehow.
    Thanks again xx
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

The bridesmaids usually organise the hen, but it's the bride who gets to say who attends it. Your MOH was way out of order to invite someone without asking you, and you are 100% in the right to say you don't want this person to attend. I can't believe the cheek of her!

I would suggest giving MOH a list of the people you want to be invited and stressing it is ONLY for those people.

• Yorkshirelass
    Super July 2022 Surrey
    Yorkshirelass ·
    • Hide content

Massive cheek I agree! My sister (MOH) is organising my hen do but she asked me who to invite and I made the group chat on Whatsapp with the ladies I wanted to invite. I am still in that chat but I assume they probably already have a separate one for surprises for me as they keep joking about willie straws and strippers. My sis knows I would be annoyed if they got a stripper by the way- totally not my thing! LOL.

I suggested what we would do and we both researched a few venues as I wanted a spa overnight stay.

It is not being a bridezilla to sort your own guest list for your hen do!

• Charlotte
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you hun x
  • Charlotte
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you!! Xxx
  • Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    I think your totallly being fare this girl seems like she is a bit of a trouble causer with the flirting and not saying hi xx 💗 i hope you can sort this out x💗
  • Charlotte
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks Michelle x the flirting even makes my fiancé uncomfortable. Definitely trouble. I just can't settle knowing she'll be there. Maybe I'm too soft. Haha
  • Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    No your not soft if i was in your situation i would feel the same remember its about you having fun and if she was there you definately wouldnt xx 💗
  • Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content

You absolutely need to say something, you don't need to go in to the reasons, just tell your MOH that you don't want people at the hen that you are not that close too. My MOH asked me for a list of names and I said I didn't want anyone adding to it, just the people on the list. she asked about her sister, who I am friends with and is coming to the wedding, but I said no and she has accepted it. It is your Hen and you shouldn't be feeling stressed and anxious about it, stay strong and stand up for yourself, good luck

• Charlotte
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks Charlotte. After reading the other comments I decided to actually set up a group chat and I'd said that it was just close family, that's all. Obviously my mam is on the chat so I set my MOH as a admin. Then I left the chat. So the update is as soon as I left that chat my mam messages saying that my MOH has added her friend. Ive hardly slept....I'm furious and my fiancé was messaging his older sister, whose my bridesmaid, saying she needs to sort it out. I'm not wanting a huge do, just close family. We aren't really huge drinkers so there's been a few suggestions of a 80s concert which I'd love, or maybe a meal and cocktail making which sounds interesting too. But I know if this friend turns up there will definitely two guaranteed drunk 🥴.......
    Family x
  • Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I can imagine the stress and that is not good it is causing you not to sleep. I hope you can speak to her and just tell her straight, you don't want that girl there and whilst she is organising it, it is YOUR hen and as your MOH I would hope she can respect your wishes. I think people have ideas and want to do the right thing but don't actually think about what the Hen wants! My MOH was going down the route of a weekend in Liverpool, bar hopping, which is my worst nightmare as I have massive anxieties going out and being in crowded places, plus I don't really drink! One of my other friends told me as she knew that my MOH was organising what she wanted to do and not what I wanted, which is a spa day and then a nice girls night in with cheese and wine! I had told her so many times I don't want to go away as I know some of my friends wont be able to afford it and I would rather do low key and things people can drop in and out of, in honesty I was really upset she wasn't listening and when I said what I wanted she looked a bit put out. We get married in April and she only messaged people last week despite us discussing it since last summer! I know a lot of people cant come now as there are only a couple of weekends free now before the wedding, also she is now pregnant so that has now cut her boozy weekend away idea, but she is now organising a weekend away locally and doing what I want, but it is still going away which I don't want! I don't want to sound ungrateful but I am past caring now so will just go with it, in honesty I would just not have one! good luck lovely X

• Charlotte
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    You've literally described my situation haha. We get married in November so I wanted a summer hen do. But there's been no dates mentioned. I got plenty of time though.
    Cutting it short before April. I hope it all works out the way you want and do have a lovely time, All the best for April!! Xx
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

At this stage, I'd be reconsidering who I had as my MOH. Can someone else say something to her, since you're not supposed to be involved in the group chat? It is just totally weird that she is deliberately going against your wishes a second time - either she is putting her friend's wishes above yours at your own hen do and wedding or she is the kind of person who is easily pushed around by stronger characters, and the 'friend' is bullying her into doing it. Either way, I'd be questioning her role in the bridal party by now.

• Charlotte
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I was thinking this last night hun. My bridesmaid is her older sister, my other future sister in law so I think it's been mentioned by her. Time will tell. X
  • Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    It needs to be sorted you cant be feeling like this at the end of the day its close friends and family she isent close to you x💗
  • Charlotte
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yeah. Thanks Michelle xx
  • Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I hope you can sort it out and have the most amazing hen do when it happens try and relax i know its not easy but think about your well being x💗
  • E
    Beginner July 2022 Devon
    Emma ·
    • Hide content
    Someone who isn’t YOUR friend or family at your OWN Hen Do. Absolutely not. That celebration is for you and for your loved ones, not for random people - especially ones who openly flirt with your fiancé. Do NOT get bullied into accepting this. She wouldn’t be coming to hen do OR my wedding that’s for sure.
  • Charlotte
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Spoke with my MOH and she's uninvited her and apologised, she thought I wanted quite a big do and not just family and close friends. Maybe a misunderstanding. Maybe not. But it's done. Thank you for all your support ladies and all the best!!! Xx
  • Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    Glads its sorted hun x💗

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics