Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

A
Beginner June 2024 Devon

Hen party stress!!

AnneMarie, 20 of April of 2023 at 13:53 Posted on Etiquette and Advice 2 10
For me the hen party is starting to become more stressful than the wedding!
I have invited 6 of my closest friends to my hen weekend which my 2 bridesmaids are planning for next year. I really want to go abroad my my besties, have some cocktails in the sun.
Now 2 of my friends have said that they cannot afford to go abroad. I’m feeling upset and a bit let down.One of them can afford it but just doesn’t want to pay to go abroad and doesn’t want to leave her toddler. The other one I do understand that they would struggle to find the money.What should I do? Go ahead with the hen party abroad without 2 of them or do I have one in the UK so they can all attend even though I don’t want it in the UK. I probably sound like a Princess but just can’t get excited about a UK hen party.. Any advice would be appreciated

10 replies

Latest activity by Shannon, 24 of April of 2023 at 17:09
  • Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content

Weddings are expensive to attend just as a guest, chuck in hen and stag parties and it soon adds up. Right now cost of living is crippling and there is no way of telling what the future holds for anyone financially, Even your friend who you say can afford it and appears comfortable financially is maybe earing on the side of caution and prioritizing their spending, or is facing financial struggles you don't know about, . Same as not wanting to leave their child, everyone parents differently so if they are not comfortable with it you have to respect their choice. You also need to consider people may not have annual leave to take off, even for a mini break.

I absolutely get you want to go abroad, but this is your choice, and you really need to weigh up what is more important, going abroad, or having the right people with you and only you can make that decision. Maybe sound them out about a UK break, as if they were to still say no to that then that helps you decide to still go abroad with the others who can, as you wouldn't have them there anyway.

Please don't take this the wrong way, I don't think you are a Princess and fully understand why you are upset, but I do think you need to check the reality of it, the main event is your wedding and having the right people there on the day, the Hen is lovely, but really not that big a deal, IMO. I would much rather have had no Hen do to ensure my closest friend as were able to afford to spend the day with me on my wedding

• K
    Dedicated June 2023 Essex
    Kirsty ·
    • Hide content

I think Charlotte has nailed the response here.

I understand that you want your hen to be how you imagined and its your celebration, but I think you need to be a little more understanding. Please don't take this the wrong way, but times are tough right now. Just because someone seems financially stable doesn't mean they are as comfortable as you think or that they aren't saving for something important. Also, I wouldn't want to leave a small child either. It is difficult for parents and as someone without children I get it can be frustrating when our friends with children can't do something, but parenting is hard.

Ideally I too would want an abroad hen, but I have been in the position in the past where I was struggling just to live and I had to say no to things I wanted to attend. I didn't want to put any of my friends in that position. So I chose a weekend away in the UK, as it was very affordable and we found a lovely place with a hot tub. My bridesmaids have done an amazing job at organising activities and we are even going for a nice dinner, followed by a cocktail bar one night. It was important to me that my friends were there with me and we have a great time wherever we are. I also didn't want to burden them with an expensive hen, knowing how tough things are right now.

I think you need to decide whether its more important for you to have all your friends there, or to go abroad. If you pick the latter you need to accept that not everyone will come for various reasons and you will need to take that with grace.

I bet you will have an amazing time either way! Best wishes to you Smiley smile

• C
    Beginner April 2024 Lancashire
    Carly ·
    • Hide content
    I'm in same boat and planning.
    @charlotte your advise on spot on and clear perspective.
  • Lizzy
    Beginner February 2025 West Midlands
    Lizzy ·
    • Hide content

I think you should consider having two separate events, one abroad and one in the UK, to accommodate everyone. Alternatively, explore more affordable destinations or compromise on the length of the trip. Communication is key in finding a solution that works for everyone.

• R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

Charlotte's advice is spot on. Yes, as a bride you can make whatever decisions you like about your hen do, but you do need to prepare for the fact that the more demands a hen do makes in terms of time and money, the more likely you are to have people unable to come.

It's ok to feel upset if some of your friends can't come to an overseas hen do, but I don't think you should feel let down. Everyone has their own struggles and difficulties, and even the closest friend doesn't know the full picture - someone can be unable to come to your hen do and still be a really good friend.

• L
    Beginner August 2025 North Yorkshire
    Lucy ·
    • Hide content
    I organised a hen doo for my friend last year, we booked a massive house, we had afternoon tea on arrival, then we had spa treatments and then a chef came in to cook us a 3 course meal, then after they all left the house was ours for the night to party! It was brilliant! I booked through celebration cottages, they have loads all over the uk, we went for the Sunday celebration package. Take a look, that might make you feel abit more excited 🤞😊
  • C
    Savvy October 2024 Kent
    Crystal ·
    • Hide content
    Yes you will have to compromise.

I’m planning my own hen do next year. It’s Friday - Sunday and going to be in August so it’s likely to me mild in temp and with any luck nice and warm so, rather than going to a city I am thinking of a coastal resort that way if it’s nice we can head for the beach and sip cocktails as the sun sets in a bar. If it’s raining it won’t matter as going to do other activities too so it’s a win win.
    Lots of my friends have young children (some of which have babies) as do I so I kind of didn’t expect them fly away anywhere. The furthest we will be from home is couple hours drive/train. You can always have 2 hen parties I know lots who’ve done that. Let us know how you get on!
  • Joanna
    Beginner June 2023 Swansea
    Joanna ·
    • Hide content
    I’ve just come back from Albufeira for my hen. I only had 8 girls come on my hen (my mother and mother in law included in that) 3 of my very good friends couldn’t afford it so had to drop out. I was gutted but honestly I had the best time! My sister is going to plan a home hen for me just before the wedding so my other friends can join in too… but I think if that’s what you want to do then absolutely go for it! You will have a blast! 😊
  • Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    I think it's about what you want like Charlotte said it can be so expensive x ♥️
  • S
    Beginner May 2024 Dorset
    Shannon ·
    • Hide content
    Hey! One of my bridesmaids is also getting married next year and she’s got a similar problem, I don’t think you sound like a princess at all, it should be what you want, it’s a one time thing!
    Have you considered maybe doing two? You and your girls who are happy going abroad still go and maybe planning a more low key UK hen do? Could even just be something smaller like a night out or afternoon tea so that way you can have the abroad hen do you’re wanting but also still get to have a a smaller hen do with everyone you want to spend time with ? 😊

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics