Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

G
Beginner August 2015

His friends have booked the same wedding date. What would you do?

Grand_canyon, 2 of November of 2013 at 09:58 Posted on Planning 0 13

Hi guys. Just after some advice from people outside of the situation.

Found out last night that my partners friends have booked their wedding date and its the same day as ours. No one is to blame. Although I have excitedly told all my friends when it is my partner hadn't told everyone. And because it isn't till 2015 we have only sent the save the dates to people who live abroad so that they have plenty of warning.

There is a large number of people who would want to be at both. In fact my partners best man is also likely to play an important role in the other wedding. I'm worried that most will go to the other wedding cos it's local whereas ours is back at my parents near my family. My partner will be gutted if this lot can't come. In fact it would leave him with only a handful of people there.

Im gutted. We had a discussion with them last night and they have said they will look at changing their date because they have only just booked it whereas we booked in June. But I feel awful about that. Really awful. But I know we can't change ours because of the honeymoon we want to fit into the school holidays. If they can't change theirs we are going to have to look into changing ours but there weren't any other suitable dates at the venue.

So what would you do? Accept that both weddings are taking place on the same day and that friends are going to have to decide where to go? Although I don't think this is fair on them. We are talking about 20 people. Pray that they can change their date? Or start to replan my wedding with different date and venue and loose the grand we already paid in deposit?

Arhhh. Proper gutted.

13 replies

Latest activity by RLB, 4 of November of 2013 at 17:26
  • Chippet
    Beginner January 2014
    Chippet ·
    • Hide content

Oh, this is a really rubbish situation.

If they're happy to look at changing their date, I'd let them look into it and wait and see what happens before worrying anymore. Presumably if they've only just booked it they won't loose out on any deposits.

• PinkButterfly
    Beginner June 2014
    PinkButterfly ·
    • Hide content

Nothing to suggest I'm afraid no idea what I would do other than hope the friends manage to change their date!

i feared this happening to me so called all engaged friends to find out their dates and got my boy to do the same to avoid being in the same position!

• H
    Beginner August 2014
    HundredMonkeys ·
    • Hide content

I think it's fair of them to look into changing their date, seeing as you booked yours back in June. I guess you just have to hope that they find a new date. I'm pleased for you in a way though - there's been a lot of threads like this and the "offending party" hasn't been so compromising! Good luck, just wait and see what happens. Don't feel bad about it, it's no ones' fault.

• InWineTheresTruth
    Beginner July 2015
    InWineTheresTruth ·
    • Hide content

How horrid! I think you can just hope and pray they can change their date seeing as they have just booked. at least they are willing to try and do that ... fingers crossed xx

• *MM3*
    Beginner June 2014
    *MM3* ·
    • Hide content

I'd probably wait and see what happens, hopefully they'll be able to change the date.
    It's a really unfortunate situation but hopefully if the date wasn't of any importance to them they won't mind changing it.
    And i'm sure they'll be as worried about the guest situation as you are so i'm sure they'll do all they can to change it.
    Hope it all works out well!

• MrsDaysh2b
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsDaysh2b ·
    • Hide content

If they can't change their date, would you consider having a joint wedding or reception so everyone can go to both?? Might be a bit difficult if both have you have booked and paid deposits on separate venues tough I guess?

• G
    Beginner August 2015
    Grand_canyon ·
    • Hide content

Hey guys, thanks for all the comments, its nice to have a separate opinion.

We drunkenly suggested a joint do but the venues are about 300 miles apart!!

Im just going to have to be quiet about it for a few weeks and keep hinting to my other half that he needs to find out what is happening. They are his friends so it would be weird for me to contact them.

They did say they were going to change it because they want to be at our wedding and they want us at theirs. But its just whether it can happen once money has changed hands! Will just have to cross my fingers.

I just feel really bad about it because I know how happy i was when we booked our date and I know that they probably feel the same way! There is no one to blame so will just have to hope it all sorts out!!! Will keep you updated!

• L
    Beginner December 2012
    LEN11212 ·
    • Hide content

I really hope this works out for you and your friends, what an annoying situation. It sounds like it will be really difficult for you to move your date due to restrictions around school holidays, but it may be a nice gesture to share any cost that your friends might incur to change their date so everyone shares the pain!

• tayto
    Beginner May 2013
    tayto ·
    • Hide content

Sorry to hear about this - tough situation to be in. Is it worth having a look into other dates with your venue? Just as an aside while you wait to see what they can do. Most venues will allow you to change date (within reason) so it might be handy to know this incase they can't change theirs?

• W
    Beginner February 2014
    Wifeytobe88 ·
    • Hide content

So sorry to hear your situation, what a nightmare! It's lovely that the other couple are being very fair though and looking into whether they can change their date. I don't think I'd be so laid back about it haha! I would just keep hinting to your h2b to keep in touch with them, and see how it develops. As someone else has suggested, if you can afford it, it might be worth offering some money towards any money they might lose? Even if it's just a token gesture of £100 or so I bet they'd really appreciate it.

• bex_boo
    Beginner August 2014
    bex_boo ·
    • Hide content

They have offered to look into changing their date so let them do that (as is fair if they booked after you) and see what happens. If they manage to change their date then i think a big box of choccies or some bubbly sent their way would be a nice gesture. As you said, just an accident, but they have been gracious enough to offer to change it.

If they can't then you and your partner need to have a serious think about whether you want to change your date, and whether changing it is financially viable for you to do so. You may have paid non-refundable or chnageable deposits on things.

• R
    Beginner August 2014
    RLB ·
    • Hide content

Hopefully the other couple will be able to change their date, and hopefully you will hear from them soon. It might be worth contacting your venue to see whether you have the option of changing your date slightly - even if it is just to a couple of days before the current date, it doesn't hurt to know your options.

Fingers crossed for you that the other couple manages to sort it without any problems

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics