Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

J
Beginner November 2015

Honest opinions on wedding dress and bridesmaid dress please - worried!!

JHenson1234, 2 of August of 2013 at 22:39 Posted on Planning 0 29

Hi,

Really worried my choice of bm dress is plain and wont 'wow' on the day. They are emerald green silk from monsoon (ebay actually as buget tight!) it;s a winter wedding so the idea is for them to be worn with an ivory maribou shrug and silver heels. the dresses come down to calf length.

My wedding dress is concerning me - a lot, I'm really worried it's far too plain. It is a taffeta dress so not very shiny/heavy looking like satin is. it is in pale ivory and i was thinking of wearing the same shrug as the bms. I am very short and curvy so if i have a veil it will be a short one (i don't really like them as it means fiddling with my hair after the ceremony as my hair is costing a lot!. Should i wear the same or have something different though?. I really have no idea when it comes to all this stuff.

I chose a plainer dress as i have made a brooch bouquet and thought it might be 'too much' to have a blingy dress walking down the isle. Now i realise i will only have my bouquet for a tiny fraction of the day and i dont want to disappoint my OH by looking dull:

So, here goes....Here are the pics.

29 replies

Latest activity by Ohwhatatuesday, 6 of August of 2013 at 21:19
  • B
    Beginner July 2013
    bellaZ ·
    • Hide content

I was worried my dress would look plain - it was simpler than yours, with just a little bit of bling under the bust - but I needn't have worried. I felt fab, people said I looked fab and the photos are fab. I think your dress is lovely and classy, don't worry about it! If you are curvy, the shape will enhance your waist beautifully.

The bridesmaids' dresses are lovely as well, it's a beautiful colour for a winter wedding. How "wow" do you want them to be? They're not supposed to be so wow that they distract attention from the bride!

Today is NOT the day; we got married on July 25th.

• J
    Beginner November 2015
    JHenson1234 ·
    • Hide content

I suppose I have got it in my head that bms should wear long gowns....thing is, my family are short and my bms are not being cooperative in trying things on, so the chance of them cooperating over fittings/length alterations on a longer dress would be a nightmare.

All you see in magazines etc are really fancy dresses and i tried about 80 but a simpler style looked a lot better on me. I want to look my best but am worried my oh with look at me and think how plain i look compared to the images in all those bloody bridal magazines with pouffie numbers/layers of jewels etc. (how i'd love to be tall and skinny sometimes but i'm not and wont ever be).

I've bought very simple necklaces (a simple silver chain with a small ball covered in little crystals - about 1cm wide) and earrings (matching the ball) for the bms - the neck is low-ish cut so I wanted to keep accessories simple and let the dress/shrugs speak for themselves. That said, the shrugs will come off after the pics so maybe i need something more substantial for their necklaces?

• Hoddy
    Beginner July 2014
    Hoddy ·
    • Hide content

I honestly think they are gorgeous too Smiley smile love the detail on your dress.

• J
    Beginner November 2015
    JHenson1234 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks x

I have reconsiderd the jewellery and think i'll go for something a little larger - still pendant style but larger for the BMs.

No idea what jewellery/head bling i should be wearing to match that dress. I'm thinking of going '50's / read carpet glamour style but not sure if i should have an up do because its a wedding. also, how to a wear a veil/head piece with your hair down?

• J
    Beginner November 2015
    JHenson1234 ·
    • Hide content

- our theme is emerald green, pale ivory and silver so flowers will most likely be avalanche roses (palest ivory/white roses going) with dark green floiage. i have a brooch bouquet - made it myself and it's very heavy and looks like a mass of jewels (it has no gaps - approx 200 brooches made it so it's heavy but i am very pleased with that at least)

• J
    Beginner April 2014
    Jader123 ·
    • Hide content

My honest opinion...they are all lovely and I don't think you have anything to worry about Smiley smile

• Mrspetal
    Beginner February 2014
    Mrspetal ·
    • Hide content

All looks great.

Love the bridemaid dresses

• vintagedreams
    Beginner August 2013
    vintagedreams ·
    • Hide content

Honestly I think its all lovely! Bling up with accessories if you feel too plain. :-)

• LilMissBusyBride
    Beginner August 2013
    LilMissBusyBride ·
    • Hide content

It all looks fantastic and you are right to go with BM dresses they feel comfortable in/suit them. If you went for something else they'd look uncomfortable and awkward. I love it and think it fits the time of year perfectly x

• M
    Beginner January 2015
    murphy88 ·
    • Hide content

I agree with the above the dresses look fab esp your dress!

I am a bit of a plain jane (not that i have my dress yet!) and sometimes the plainer the better.

The question is do you feel comfortable and feel good in it?

• S
    Beginner December 2014
    Soontobe_mrsG ·
    • Hide content

Your pictures look lovely, the dress is very pretty, not too plain at all, I am sure its just pre-wedding nerves, there are just so many things to see and to chose from, but from your pictures I think everything looks great Smiley smile

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

I love both your dress and the bm dress (gorgeous colour!).

I bet everything will come together in the end and you'll wonder why you ever worried!

• *MM3*
    Beginner June 2014
    *MM3* ·
    • Hide content

I agree with everyone else.
    I honestly think you're worrying for nothing, everything looks fab..dress is beautiful & bm's too..love that colour.
    You'll be stunning and not plain at all x

• lisaloulou
    Beginner
    lisaloulou ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think everything goes really well together.

My friend got married recently and had a dress with very similar detail to yours. She wore her hair down but with some pulled back so that a veil could be placed in the back where the pins were.

My friend wore an adapted version of my "Charleston" side tiara but if you wanted something even more bling then there's "Belle" too. If you'd like any help with yours or your bridesmaids' jewellery, please feel free to drop me an email on

• Horace
    Dedicated November 2013
    Horace ·
    • Hide content

I love your dress! I really don't class that as plain, I'd call it classy! I'm not one for too much jewellery either and would just go earrings and bracelet for the BMs with that dress and the shrug, lovely! Where did you get the shrugs from if you don't mind me asking? I want one like that to go with my dress but I begrudge paying £50+ for something I'll only wear for a few outdoor pics!

• 3d jewellery
    3d jewellery ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't change a think it sounds lovely. Don't change the BM jewellery they don't need more bling

• J
    Beginner November 2015
    JHenson1234 ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

They are jasper conran shrugs from debenhams, £55 each but I got mine off preloved bnwt for 20 each so was very lucky! X

• Chippet
    Beginner January 2014
    Chippet ·
    • Hide content

I don't think it's plain either, there is some bling there! It's very pretty as are bridesmaid dresses.

Mines quite understated, plain statin to my bust, lace to my shoulders with some diamantes. I have also wondered it there should be 'more' to it, but i realised, there's a reason why you liked it in the first instance - probably because its 'you' and that's what matters, your H2B will appreciate that you've not picked something cos you 'think' that's what a wedding dress should be like. IYSWIM?

• Siobhan200286
    Beginner August 2015
    Siobhan200286 ·
    • Hide content

I really like both your dress and the one for your BMs. I don't think either are too plain, I think something more simple like these choices is really very classy. Your dress has a lovely amount of sparkle and I think it will be very complementary of the bouquet you have described. Honestly I think these are lovely choices. If you are very worried they are plain, you could try and create a bit of interest/focus with more unusual / bold accessories.

• M
    Beginner March 2014
    Mary C to be K ·
    • Hide content

I don't think your dress is plain either and I'm pretty certain your OH won't find it dull! I like the idea of matching shrugs and I think they and silver shoes will make your BMs look anything but plain.

Also loving the green colour - we're have bridesmaids in green with silver shoes but a lighter green because we're in spring :-)

• C
    Beginner April 2015
    Cupcakebex ·
    • Hide content

It's all absolutely stunning xx

• NorthSouthGirl
    Beginner November 2014
    NorthSouthGirl ·
    • Hide content

To echo what most others have said, the dresses are lovely!

At the end of the day its not baout wowing the crowd with a blingtastic millions piund type frock its about you and who you are and what you want and feel comfortable in.

I'm sure your H2B finds you stunning and beautioful anyway as you wouldn't be getting married if he didn;t think that of you already but i do completely understand the 'fear' of him not turning around and gaping in wonderment as you trot up the aisle.

For what it's worth i am possibly having a short, 50's style wedding dress and despite my H2B's family telling me 'its not the norm' i don;t care, its a style that suits me, that i feel comfortable in, and i'm paying lol!

I am 100% sure you will look amazing and your Mr will think so too. xx

• J
    Beginner November 2015
    JHenson1234 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone! I go and collect my dress soon (bought it two months ago) but am a little worried that I'll hate it/wish I'd chosen something else.Thanks for all of the comments, when I picked the dress for me I thought it was nice because I felt sexy and pretty in it - only one or two others made me feel good. I thought it looked classier to go for a simple style which emphasised my best bits - waist and bust! I think it was just a wobble as I can now remember why I liked it!The bm dresses were a nightmare - one bm is a size 22, the other an 8/10. That style suits the larger one but my other bm's mother who is my sister wont let her try it on until late october - awkward cow! So ive ended up buying an 8, 10 & 12 in that dress jyst for my neice - hence ebay being a godsend! Families can be so vile over weddings!

• Embrace Bridal Boutique - Exclusively 16+
    Embrace Bridal Boutique - Exclusively 16+ ·
    • Hide content

I think you have made a fantastic choice, both in your wedding dress and bridesmaids dresses (im used to dressing ladies size 16 and over) as the emphasis is on your plus points, while the skirt falls away and is simpler on the bottom. If my ladies are "under tall" I encourage them to go with a planer skirt as if you have a solid and distinct hem (and lace edge for example) it can make you appear shorter. A skirt that simply falls to the floor with no heavy edging allows the eye to continue down.

Your bridesmaids compliment your gown very well and the colour will look very rich for an autumn/winter wedding. Adding silver accents ties everything in together. On the point of a veil, if you are having a bolero or shrug sometimes a veil can look a bit too fussy as theres too many layers going on. If the shrug has long fur on it it will also poke through the net on the veil so you may need to be constantly adjusting your veil. If will also be covering your best bits whereas a shrug on its own will draw the eye there.

Don't worry, I think its a stunning combination and im sure your guests will love it!

• rachd03
    Beginner May 2014
    rachd03 ·
    • Hide content

Your dress is stunning and very classy and a little bit sexy.

I am short and curvy aswell and when I tried on big fussy dresses I felt like a little girl playing dress up. When I put mine on the people in the shop commented that the dress worked around me instead of me being lost in it which can be a problem with my height. Your dress looks like it would fit lovely and emphasise your curves in the right way. I was worried mine was too plain when I ordered it but when I tried it on a second time I still loved it and knew why I had chosen it. My normal style is quite simple and I like that I will still look like me on my wedding day. Plus it has sneaky twinkly beads all over so still has the sparkle ?

If you are still deciding on a veil I recommend a cathedral length one. I was told this would work better as it wouldn't cut me off and would flow with the dress making me look taller (I need all the help I can get!!)

Just remember, you chose the dress for a reason and when you put it on again you will remember all those reasons xx

• L
    Lemon Violet ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

I agree it is a pretty dress and will look great. Lovely bridesmaid one too.

Lynne

• L
    Lemon Violet ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

I agree it is a pretty dress and will look great. Lovely bridesmaid one too.

Lynne

• Ohwhatatuesday
    Beginner May 2014
    Ohwhatatuesday ·
    • Hide content

Love the BM dresses I think they're gorgeous and your dress is really lovely too. it's not plain at all, it's really lovely.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics