Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

pandorasbox
Beginner August 2012

How far in advance are you having your hen do?

pandorasbox, 15 December, 2011 at 10:10 Posted on Planning 0 17

My birthday is 8 days before the wedding and I was thinking about having a joint bday and hen do. But now I am thinking that is silly to do it so close to the wedding, in case of injuries or whatever, plus friends who are travelling to me for the hen will then have to immediately travel again the weekend after for the wedding so might be asking a bit much.

I am probably going to have a meal out in town (Manc), followed by some kind of show such as Chippendales or a drag act, (or maybe combine the two at Crazy Wendy's!) then drinks around the village or wherever we fancy really. No expensive clubs, just the free or £1 entry type places. People can choose to join in whichever part of the evening they want. I will prob do a fb invite just to get an idea of numbers to book the meal and show. Just want to give people plenty of notice in the new year so lots will need to make childcard arrangements and budget for travel costs and so on.

So how many weeks are you going to leave between the hen party and your wedding day?

17 replies

Latest activity by Mrs P 2 B, 15 December, 2011 at 19:20
  • far2calm
    Beginner May 2012
    far2calm ·
    • Hide content

My main one is going to 5 weeks before the wedding, then my one at home 3 weeks before, and will probably squeeze a work one in somewhere.

I'm the same with having friends travelling, and worried about injuries! ha. ?

• Suzie&Karl
    Beginner January 2012
    Suzie&Karl ·
    • Hide content

I have had a mixture really.

I have a spa weekend start of oct, a night out start of dec, night out 23rd dec and a meal 30th dec.

The first 1 i did because of the cost and didnt want it close to xmas. 2nd was a decison made between a few of us. The last 2 are because my aunty from australiua doesnt arrive until next tuesday

x

• quackers
    Beginner August 2013
    quackers ·
    • Hide content

I wish I had a clue!! my MOH/Sister is organising it! and I know nothing!! lol

and as I am a control freak its driving me mad lol!!

• Banana88
    Beginner May 2012
    Banana88 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My birthday is a week before our wedding and I thought exactly the same. I've since changed my mind on it being pretty close to the wedding don't want to be spending all my pennies the week before our wedding. Also I thought about the people attending the wedding and hen do and their pennies, times are hard at present and not everyone has lots of extra cash to spend 2 weekends in a row. I've now shuffled it back to April, so it's 3 week before the wedding.

• *JLS*
    Beginner July 2012
    *JLS* ·
    • Hide content

I am having mine 3 months before our wedding. Main reason being that it will fall over the Easter weekend so I won't need to take any holidays as I will be travelling from Northampton to Aviemore for it Smiley smile Also, the majority of my friends are teachers so it's not easy for them to get other days off.

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content

My main one is six weeks before the wedding in Blackpool, then one at home in Glasgow two weeks before the wedding for all those who didn't make Blackpool.

I may well totally milk it and have afternoon tea with my female relatives, and then also a cocktail evening with my besties! ?

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

Thanks, I am really struggling with this. Just looked at my calendar and it is insane! I have lots of teacher friends but our May/June half terms won't necessarily be the same so no point me doing it then, 8 weeks ahead.

3/2 weekends before is cutting a little fine in case of bruises and money and so on.

4 weeks before is my bridesman's bday weekend.

5 weekends before is our school prom weekend.

Looks like I will have to go for 6 or 7 but the weeks surrounding those weekends are both hellish on the work calendar!

• E
    Beginner March 2012
    Emsypooh ·
    • Hide content

Mine is 4 weeks before the wedding.

• ClaireMcToBe
    Beginner September 2012
    ClaireMcToBe ·
    • Hide content

I agree that it would be a bit much to ask people to travel twice in such a short time, and it's a fair bit of money for people to be out too. Mine will be around 7-8 weeks before the wedding so it comes at the end of the summer holidays (teacher friends too!). My OH's stag will most likely be a few months before since his best man's wife is now pregnant and the baby will be born around the same time they had originally been planning to do the stag weekend. I don't think it matters how far in advance you do it.

• P
    Beginner May 2012
    Peyaleed ·
    • Hide content

I get married 26th May so looking to have henweekend in mid April.

• far2calm
    Beginner May 2012
    far2calm ·
    • Hide content

Peyaleed - DATE TWIN! eeeek ?

• P
    Beginner May 2012
    Peyaleed ·
    • Hide content

It seems to be a very popular date to get married ?.

Time is flying by- getting very exciting ?

• B
    Beginner April 2012
    Brimbletobe ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

if it helps, I think most people's half terms will be the same in summer next year cos of the Queen's golden jubilee - because there are two bank holidays together. So you could probably assume they'll all be the week with the 4th and 5th of June in.

• R
    Beginner June 2012
    Randomsabreur ·
    • Hide content

April for a 30 June wedding, as I have "adventurous" plans (and also get sunburned really easily). Even Go Ape can lead to scratches. For a simple night out/drinks (assuming you don't tend to get unexplained bruises on nights out I would happily go closer so long as not too many friends had to travel.

Also pretty well everyone will be travelling to mine, and I wanted to go in low/mid season rather than high season (weekend "away" in a cottage near where I live (but not near friends!)). OH's stag is at similar time due to even larger risk of injury (possibly deserved after friends' stags) and also he has an exam the Monday before the wedding!

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's good to know thanks!

We are off that first week of June, but taken our Bank Hol Queen thingamijiggy day next week as part of the Christmas hols, so I assumed other LEAs and councils might be having half term as usual in May then having the Bank Hol on that proper day when everyone else does.

I want to ensure I am not expecting too much cost and travel so close together, so I think 6, 7 or 8 weeks in advance sounds about OK then from what you have all said. I was worried I might look a bit bridezilla starting to plan it now, but that's only 6 months away and I am guessing people will prefer as much notice as poss. (I am doing it myself as my bridesman is not very organised, plus doesn't know my other groups of friends, so just easier this way!)

• M
    Beginner October 2012
    Meggiemoo1981 ·
    • Hide content

I think mine will be 4 weeks before. Can't wait! I am going to have mini ones before that though when my OH will be on his stag do.

• Mrs_imp
    Beginner June 2012
    Mrs_imp ·
    • Hide content

I am having mine 7 weeks before, one of my BM is flying back from Singapore so she wanted a bit of time between the hen and the wedding. I am a very lucky girl that she is flying back at all, let alone twice!

• Mrs P 2 B
    Beginner January 2012
    Mrs P 2 B ·
    • Hide content

Mine will be about 3 months in advance.. seems every early but my MOH and mate can't take any leave due to the Olympics.. then i have a family one 3 weeks before hand but thats not going to be a silly one

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics