Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Jennifer
Beginner November 2022 Dumfries Galloway & Ayrshire

How far is too far?

Jennifer, 29 of October of 2021 at 16:07 Posted on Etiquette and Advice 1 7
Hi everyone!
We started looking for venues and I fell in love with one that's everything I ever imagined. Only "downside" being, that it is very rural (which is part of the magic tbh). With lots of guests having to travel from abroad anyway, I feel uncomfortable asking them to hop on the train for another 1.5 hours on top of their flights.
Should we still consider the venue and try and make arrangements to make the journey as stress-free as possible or would you think its too much to ask? Any experiences?

7 replies

Latest activity by Rosie, 13 of November of 2021 at 17:09
  • Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content
    Our venue is 1.5 hours away from home, we have recommended hotels that are 20 mins away and also given local taxi firm numbers You could look at hiring a bus to get everyone there, the only issue is they would normally do only 1 or 2 pick up points and then drop off would be at one time so people can't decide when to leave. If you have plenty of hotels nearby I do t think it is a problem as those travelling from abroad are going to need a hotel so may as well base themselves near the venue. You could sound out some of your close guests to see how they would feel and decide from there

• Jennifer
    Beginner November 2022 Dumfries Galloway & Ayrshire
    Jennifer ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you so much for your reply!
    I think I'd def get something organised for the pickup at train stations... And have snacks and bubbly at the ready. I think sounding them out is a good idea. All of them are married already, so they probably remember the bride life and wanting to please everyone Smiley laugh
  • Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We are doing snack bags and bottles of water or everyone as our reception is back towards home so is a bit of a trek for people to come all that way for 3 hours at the ceremony space then go back again but we are lucky our guests understand the reasoning for why we want the ceremony space (it holds memories for us) but as it is a ruined castle the reception needs to be elsewhere so we booked that nearer home so people will not have to travel to far home. Good luck, hope you can get the venue you want! X
  • H
    Beginner August 2022
    HappyRedFlowers2937 ·
    • Hide content
    My family is coming from abroad and we’re getting married about 1.5hrs from the nearest airport. It’s very rural but our hotel block is literally a 5 minute walk away from the venue. A few family members are renting cars so we will try to make it work. If people find it very inconvenient I won’t hold it against them if they don’t come though cause it’s far but very sentimental to us.
    I think you need to decide what’s important to you, we are planning to have another celebration with my family who can’t travel anyway so for us the wedding here can be at our dream venue. If you decide the venue is what is important then you just have to understand some people might not come. If it’s important for you to be certain everyone will be there then it might be better to choose somewhere more convenient.
  • Hayley
    Dedicated August 2024 East Sussex
    Hayley ·
    • Hide content
    Personally it's your day so you should do what ever you want
  • Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    I think you should have that chat and see what is said they might organise something for them self x💗 but remember its your wedding day so if this place is what you want dont worry about it just go with your heart x💗
  • R
    Savvy May 2022 South West London
    Rosie ·
    • Hide content

I went to my cousin's wedding which was a 7 hour flight away then another 100 miles to the venue. It was essentially a bit of a destination for all the guests as no one live nearby. Really didn't bat an eyelid about it and the venue was lovely.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics