Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Mrs*W*2B
Beginner August 2014

How far would you travel for an evening do?

Mrs*W*2B, 12 of June of 2013 at 21:42 Posted on Planning 0 15

There are a few guests that we don't want to the day but feel they need an invite to some part of the day.

would you be offended if you were invited to an evening do approx 3 hours away? They have other family they can see in the day and stay with.

its either an evening invite or nothing really as we are at our capacity!

Thanks x

15 replies

Latest activity by overtherainbow, 19 of June of 2013 at 17:53
  • *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

I definitely wouldn't be offended.

Unless the invitation was from a very close friend I probably wouldn't go though as it is a long way to go especially just for the evening (even if I were to stay overnight etc).

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

As I've just said on the other thread, I had quite a few people come to my evening do from about three hours away. I started my evening do at 6pm though so it was more worth their while. Smiley smile

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

I certainly wouldn't be offended by the invitation - it's always nice to be asked to a wedding - but I'm not sure if I would go. It would depend on whose wedding it was and the logistics etc.

We had a few people travelling over 2 hours just for our evening do, and I was really pleasantly surprised by how many made it. We started it at 6pm though, and finished at 11.30, so they had plenty of time to enjoy it and didn't feel like they had to leave before the party finished (I hope!)

• P
    Beginner July 2013
    PFY1980 ·
    • Hide content

It all depends whenthe evening do started?

as you would travel 3 hours to a Concert starting at 7-8 so why not an evening do?

If the evening part of your do starts later than that then it may be more difficult.

If there are a small handfull that are far away then it may be worth almost having special invites - so from wedding breakfast onwards - just a suggestion

We had this debate anf as our ceremony is so late 4pm , we decided to just invite everyone to the "Afterparty" as going straight from Ceremony to the reception and by the time we get there its 6pm and we couldn't really Split the reception up as people could arrive early to the evening causing problems with speeches.

• Kentish Gal
    Beginner July 2013
    Kentish Gal ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't be offended, but probably wouldn't go.

We have some folk coming 4 hours for the evening so have secretly bumped them up to day guests, Which has thrown everything out, ha ha.

• T
    Beginner January 2001
    tyorkshirelass ·
    • Hide content

I would travel three hours for a family member or close friend, but probably not for an acquaintance. I certainly wouldn't be offended to get the invite though.

We will probably have to move a few people to be evening guests and our venue is no more than two hours drive from where they live, but I am expecting quite a few of them to say 'thanks but no thanks' because of the distance. That said though I wouldn't invite people just because you think you should - invite them because you want them there!

• Jemima Renrut
    Beginner October 2013
    Jemima Renrut ·
    • Hide content

I would travel it for a close friend or family. But not for work people. A work colleague once invited us to gretna green. We didnt attend from the Midlands!

• O
    Beginner September 2013
    oggers86 ·
    • Hide content

I would say probably an hour, I doubt I could justify more than that just for a few hours and I cant in day to day life. I suppose if I was especially close to them but they couldnt invite me due to finances it might be an option but for more of an acquaintance then no.

We have invited people to the evening who could be living far away although they do have ties to the area so they could fit in other things whilst attending our evening reception so it feels more worthwhile. Sounds a bit harsh I know but even an hour is a long journey for me!

• carbynel
    Beginner August 2014
    carbynel ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't be offended either, but I don't think I'd travel for 3 hours.

I'd say maximum of an hour travel for just evening guests.

• H
    Beginner July 2013
    HAG13 ·
    • Hide content

I have evening guests coming from Russia. They'll tie the visit in with seeing their sons in the UK but I was nicely shocked when they said that they'd love to come. I have another friend coming from France but its also a 2-in-1 job to catch up with my BM who's coming from Oz. I feel quite lucky to say the least Smiley smile In short, I don't think there is a limit in distance, if you don't ask, you don't know

• SarahW73
    Beginner September 2013
    SarahW73 ·
    • Hide content

I have quite a few evening guests that are travelling quite far. Two girls are coming from Ireland! As someone else said, people travel miles to go to a concert for a couple of hours. I'd say send the invites as they'll be appreciated.

• B
    Beginner July 2013
    bellaZ ·
    • Hide content

I once went to Tipperary in Ireland for an evening do! As the song says, it's a long way...

It was a work colleague who invited five of us from the office. He was very apologetic, as the reception was very small, pretty much family only, but we decided to make a weekend of it, so we took Friday afternoon off work, flew to Dublin, hired a people carrier and drove down. Friday and Saturday night in a B&B. We had a bit of a night out on Friday, went to the service on Saturday then took ourselves off to a pub for lunch. Joined the evening party about 6:30, then danced til dawn, literally! Very hungover drive back to Dublin on Sunday morning, but it was totally worth it. I wouldn't expect it would work for everyone though. ?

• Mrs*W*2B
    Beginner August 2014
    Mrs*W*2B ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the replies I think then I will invite them as a gesture as it doesn't sound like it will offend but I presume they won't come but you never know!

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't be offended but would probably decline as I'm not a huge fan of evening do's myself so unless it was local and didn't involve an overnight stay, we'd probably give it a miss.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics