Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

How long in between engagement and wedding for you?

29 January, 2013 at 12:30

Posted on Planning 68

We booked our wedding 19 months in advance. I now have less than 8 months to go and I am a starting to wish it was just here! I have thought about it so much now I just want something to happen. We decided to leave so long in between getting engaged and getting married so we could save up enough...

We booked our wedding 19 months in advance. I now have less than 8 months to go and I am a starting to wish it was just here! I have thought about it so much now I just want something to happen.

We decided to leave so long in between getting engaged and getting married so we could save up enough money to pay for want we wanted. I don't deny practically that this was a sensible idea, but I still wish the wedding was a little sooner.

I know my wedding enthusiasm tends to come in peaks and troughs, but I am definitely in a trough at the moment.

So what do you think is the ideal engagement length for maximum enthusiasm but minimum debt?

68 replies

• M
    Beginner July 2012
    maxinegallie ·
    • Hide content

I can't really say what is optimum, but we were engaged for 2.5 years before the wedding, and yes it felt like ages but we couldnt afford it before then, and only really did proper planning for the year in the run up to the wedding.

• J
    Beginner September 2013
    Jarvdini ·
    • Hide content

Got engaged on the 14th September 2012 and getting married on the 14th September 2013 so exactly a year for us?Feels like forever away at the moment!

• Mrs.P.To.Be
    Beginner March 2013
    Mrs.P.To.Be ·
    • Hide content

We got engaged in February 2011 and are getting married in 6 weeks time - so just over a two year wait. We wanted to self fund and not get into any debt and have (with a lot of hard work) been successful. Can't wait to eat out and go clothes shopping again once it's all over though!

• Kentish Gal
    Beginner July 2013
    Kentish Gal ·
    • Hide content

It's 8.5 months between for us. Autumn to summer. Which I think is perfect as you don't get chance to lose momentum but it doesn't take over your life for more than a few months. We're looking forward to it all being over as it's a somewhat unnatural state to be in, I think. :-)

• Kentish Gal
    Beginner July 2013
    Kentish Gal ·
    • Hide content

It's 8.5 months between for us. Autumn to summer. Which I think is perfect as you don't get chance to lose momentum but it doesn't take over your life for more than a few months. We're looking forward to it all being over as it's a somewhat unnatural state to be in, I think. :-)

• MrsA2B2014
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsA2B2014 ·
    • Hide content

Too long! Engaged 4th June 2012 and will marry 6th September 2014.

Combination of lots of things really, little Brother going to China for the majority of 2013 and 2014 and can't imagine marrying without him and my Mum and MIL2B wanting to lose weight before the wedding.

Actually, when we got engaged, 2013 seemed too soon for us. Now it's 2013 we're getting a little antsy to be honest.

• tinasharp
    Beginner February 2013
    tinasharp ·
    • Hide content

Met on 23rd June 2012, Engaged 7th July 2012, getting married on 2nd Feb 2013, three days to D day Yehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Ok I have known the OH for 38 years lol but not actually dated him, fancied him all that time though! xxxxxxxx

So Excited x

• Pink Han-bag
    Beginner March 2013
    Pink Han-bag ·
    • Hide content

11 months for us and it has felt like a nice amount of time. Admittedly we've put a few bits on the credit card but they're all easy for us to pay off after in a short timescale and we've had help from parents.

• Andy_Magicman
    Andy_Magicman ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Have a great day on Saturday

• Jen31601
    Beginner March 2013
    Jen31601 ·
    • Hide content

Just under 14 months for us, and I've never known 13 months to go so quickly and am now panicking!!

• Love&Lavender
    Beginner September 2014
    Love&Lavender ·
    • Hide content

We got engaged in August 2012 and are getting married September 2014. We are looking to buy a house this year and knew we wouldn't be able to do that and have the wedding we wanted in the same year. Then when we found the venue we loved it wasn't available until 2014 anyway! Seemed to slot into place...

• Vanilla Pod
    Beginner September 2011
    Vanilla Pod ·
    • Hide content

15 months for us.

• Unlikley Bride
    Rockstar July 2013
    Unlikley Bride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

So will we!

• Unlikley Bride
    Rockstar July 2013
    Unlikley Bride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Couldn't agree more! Though it's made me very decisive!

• Augustwedding13
    Beginner August 2013
    Augustwedding13 ·
    • Hide content

It will be 20 months for us! 13 down... 7 to go! Everything sorted now so just wish it was sooner ( :

• *Nursey*
    Beginner May 2012
    *Nursey* ·
    • Hide content

We needed 18 months to save up enough. My bestie planned his wedding in 7 months but are still paying it off and it was 18 months ago. They'll be done in June.

• O
    Beginner September 2013
    oggers86 ·
    • Hide content

About 17 months which is quite a nice time frame, not too long and not too short.

• J
    Beginner April 2014
    Jader123 ·
    • Hide content

Got engaged on our 3 year anni in May 2009 only aged 18. I was at uni at the time, still quite young and wanted to buy a house first. Became homeowners at beginning of 2012, finally set a date in Sept 2012 for April 2014...by time we get married, we would have been together nearly 8 years and engaged for 5 and still only aged 23!

• Mrspetal
    Beginner February 2014
    Mrspetal ·
    • Hide content

Getting married on 14th February 2014 yes valentines day. 4 years to the day after getting engaged Smiley smile

got together 17th November 2004, nearly 10 years after meeting finally getting married!!!!

Been engaged wayyyyyyy to long!

Ive been to weddings where they have know each other for a few months got married and are now having babies.

My hubby doesn't like to rush things lol

x

• Lindsay31513
    Beginner May 2013
    Lindsay31513 ·
    • Hide content

I met h2B in May 2002 as a 16 year old, started going out officially that July (I had turned 17 by then), got engaged in August 2004 at 19, bought a house in December 2006 and we've lived pretty happy and settled since then until last year when I lost my granda and grandma within 7 months of each other. Devastating. That was the point I knew I wanted my family to see me married so started planning in October 2012 and get married on 31st may 2013 (2days after my 28th birthday!) so just over 7 months of planning in total and a month before our 11 year anniversary! Smiley smile phew! Xx

• missloll89
    Beginner May 2015
    missloll89 ·
    • Hide content

My OH proposed on 30th December 2012 and we will be looking at having the wedding in spring / summer 2015 I would have liked 2014 but my OH has his heart set on going to the World Cup lol so I'm holding on for an extra year on the basis we get an extra nice honeymoon of course Smiley smile hehe

• Kentish Gal
    Beginner July 2013
    Kentish Gal ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Sounds like us! We knew each other 6 months before we got engaged, with a 9 month engagement. We're buying a house together at the mo, just got a new shiny dog, and plan to start babymaking on honeymoon. We met later in life than we'd have liked, got lots of catching up to do!!

• Mrspetal
    Beginner February 2014
    Mrspetal ·
    • Hide content

Good for you Kentish girl!

Im alittle jealous..... lol x

• Mrspetal
    Beginner February 2014
    Mrspetal ·
    • Hide content

Whoops sorry gal!

• F
    Beginner March 2013
    fieldmouse ·
    • Hide content

We've been planning the wedding for about 11/10 months proper.

But never been engaged - OH just told me that we were getting married and I should just pick a date - he's real romantic ?

• LotBot
    Beginner March 2015
    LotBot ·
    • Hide content

We will have been engaged for just over two and a half years (I think!- can't seem to do the maths!) and will have been together round about 5 and a half years!

I met him when he was 15 (I'm 18 months older) and got together when he was 16 and I had just turned 18. He proposed at my 21st birthday party.

We're waiting that long because OH feels he is too young to get married and wants to be at least 21 before he does, (he will be very nearly 22 when we marry) which I think is sensible and he feels quite strongly about it so I have to listen to him :p . He wanted 2016 originally but I begged and begged until he agreed to 2015 Smiley smile it does feel a really long time, but I'm in the last year of uni so want to concentrate on that before I need to do wedding planning (easier said than done!). We also need to save up a lot of money as we have hardly any savings - and I have my heart set on a pretty pricey honey moon Smiley smile

I think the length of engagement depends completely on the people and their situations - no right or wrong time, just what feels right for you Smiley smile

• L
    Beginner September 2014
    loves-young-dream ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This sounds a little like us ^^^

We met at 15 engaged at 18 will be married 2 months after our 22nd birthdays as I didn't want to feel 'too young' either

Wll have been engaged 3.5 years when we get married! And together for 6.5 xxx

• wishfulwhispers
    Beginner July 2013
    wishfulwhispers ·
    • Hide content

We got engaged Nov 2011 and will be married July 2013 - so almost 2 years

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

2 Years, 1 week and 5 days.

Worked out pretty well for us.

• flowersinherhair
    Beginner April 2014
    flowersinherhair ·
    • Hide content

We got together in June 2008, he asked me to marry him on Christmas Day 2012, we booked our venue on 27th Jan 2013 and are getting married on 21st April 2014. We were planning on getting married next year anyway as neither of us didn't want to wait too long but were going to use a cheaper venue and was happy with that. We were very grateful when his parents offered us some financial help for the wedding and wouldn't take no for an answer as we were then able to book our dream venue.

• squish815
    Beginner June 2014
    squish815 ·
    • Hide content

If all goes according to plan and I can book the date we want, then it will be exactly 2 years between when we got engaged and getting married. Sometimes I think about looking at getting married this year, but it would mean compromising on some things due to money and I'd rather save up and have the day we want.

• F
    Beginner May 2015
    Foxy2207 ·
    • Hide content

We have just got engaged and are planning on getting married in May/June 2015 to give us time to save up for it. If we had the money then I would be planning it for alot sooner.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics