Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

A
Dedicated March 2024 Essex

How long is a “long engagement”?

Alison, 21 of July of 2022 at 19:11 Posted on Planning 0 10

Just that really,

Future FIL made a comment the other day about us having a long engagement and it annoyed me a little bit.

Our wedding is booked so it’s not like we are one of those couples who will be engaged for ages and ages with no wedding in sight.

It will be just under 22 months from proposal to wedding which I’ll admit is longer than I wanted but it’s all we could get between the venue we want and other stuff going on. I still feel it’s a reasonably normal timeframe though.

When does an engagement become “long” to you?

10 replies

Latest activity by Christina, 7 of October of 2022 at 02:03
  • Ajx
    Dedicated April 2024 West Yorkshire
    Ajx ·
    • Hide content

We got engaged January 2022 and are getting married April 2024. I always said if we got engaged I wanted to be married within 2 years but i'm actually glad it's going to have been a bit longer as wedding planning can get stressful! It's been nice not having to focus on it completely and just chip away at bits here and there. We also aren't getting any financial help so definitely needed the extra time haha!

I don't think 22 months is a long engagement at all, and I think if you're spending that time planning then whats the issue x

• Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    You think yours is long we have been together 20 years been engaged for 8 so dont worry its not long at all you can take as long ss you like and like ajxsaid its more time to plan and save x💗
  • L
    Dedicated September 2023 Derbyshire
    Lizzie ·
    • Hide content

We got engaged in November '19 and are marrying in September '23. Partly this was due to health issues, but also the small matter of a GLOBAL PANDEMIC. We were never in a hurry, and we agreed that a lot of people might have put off getting married in 2020/21 whilst the restrictions were in place.

I'm sure your future FIL didn't mean to be offensive or upset you - maybe it was different for him. Times change. It's just his opinion, and if you don't think it's long then that's all that matters.

• R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

Our engagement only became 'long' to me when it went on longer than we wanted because weddings were banned due to Covid!

As long as you are happy with the length of your engagement, it doesn't matter. I know a lot of older people expect weddings to follow very quickly on engagements (within about 6 months) but I think that is because when they were younger, weddings were much simpler. You got married in your local church or registry office, had a simple meal in your church hall, village hall or local pub, and it was all over in about 4 hours. Now lots of people do still have weddings like that, but other people have ones that last 12 hours or more, or even over more than one day, and obviously, the more complicated and expensive the wedding, the longer it takes to plan!

• Leanne
    Dedicated September 2022 West Yorkshire
    Leanne ·
    • Hide content
    Welll i told my other half we can have a long engagement like 10 years buttttt changed my mind and we get married September after 2 years engaged te he
  • Ostira
    Dedicated October 2023 Durham
    Ostira ·
    • Hide content
    We got engaged Feb this year and were planning Feb 2023 but that can’t happen now so we’re going with Oct 2023. I feel like as long as it’s within a year period for me. I’d say two years+ would be long?
  • S
    Curious September 2023 Wiltshire
    Sophy ·
    • Hide content
    I wouldn't say yours is long. My future Brother and sister in Law they were engaged for 11 yrs, eloped and came back announcing there got married!
    We got engaged 3rd October 2021 getting married 30th September 2023. Pretty much exactly 2 years apart. And I enjoy having the time to plan!
  • Holley
    Beginner December 2023 Essex
    Holley ·
    • Hide content
    I think "long" is anything over 5 years with no actually plans.... we got engaged on our 5 year anniversary but will be getting married on our 10th year anniversary. Our plans initially were put on hold due to wanting to do it abroad, not deciding on a country, or time of year... plus we was buying a house, and then wanted a 2nd baby before a wedding. X
  • Zoë
    Savvy August 2024 West Sussex
    Zoë ·
    • Hide content
    Long engagement is relative. We got engaged August 2022 and have booked our wedding for August 10th 2024. We need the 2 years to save.

It’s very hard when everyone likes to pass opinion on what they think is best and that’s annoying. Just remember it’s your wedding and you’re going to do it your way.
  • C
    Curious May 2023 South East London
    Christina ·
    • Hide content
    I think a long engagement used to be anything over a year and a half, but with covid things have changed. Sone people have much shorter engagements, but many gabe realised having a longer one means more time to save. Last time I saw a poll on this I think most engagements were under a year and a half... so yours would be considered slightly longer than usual. But that's not a bad thing or something to feel self conscious over. An engagement is an arbitrary time period. It doesn't define your relationship in any meaningful way.

I wouldnt pay the comments any mind.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics