Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

bliss_balloons

How long is your commute to work?

bliss_balloons , 3 of June of 2014 at 13:43

Posted on Off Topic Posts 60

Just wondering how long it takes everyone to get to work? We're house hunting at the moment and only have a small budget but if we move a little further away we can get so much more for our money (like double the house) but it would mean a 50 minute commute to work each way and I don't know if I can...

Just wondering how long it takes everyone to get to work? We're house hunting at the moment and only have a small budget but if we move a little further away we can get so much more for our money (like double the house) but it would mean a 50 minute commute to work each way and I don't know if I can cope with that everyday.

60 replies

• ~Peanut~
    Beginner December 2012
    ~Peanut~ ·
    • Hide content

It's a 5 mile drive to work but can take 35 mins door to door, mainly because it can take 10 mins to find somewhere to park and walk to the hospital. In school holidays it takes about 15-20 minutes.

I could cope with a commute of up to an hour but I do love being home at 5 every day.

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

About 50 minutes allowing for waiting time for the bus. 2 stops on the tube and then a bus to work. I'm not a massive fan of commuting.

• Mrs Monkey
    Beginner July 2013
    Mrs Monkey ·
    • Hide content

5 minute walk Smiley smile

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content

It varies depending on what day it is and what time my shift starts at. It takes between 30 minutes and 45 minutes. The driving home part is the worst after a 12.5 hour shift. It's a culture shock driving to work as when we lived in London l used public transport.

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content

I am a 10-15 minute drive each way, H is a 5 minute drive each way.

• Gracey
    Beginner February 2012
    Gracey ·
    • Hide content

Mine is about half an hour each way, but only about 7-8 miles, just crap traffic and right through a town centre. It's about my limit though sometimes I am based on (construction) sites and I have been about 1hr 45 mins each way, for about 2 years and before that around 1hr 30 mins for a previous 2 years, which really was the limit I was ridiculously tired, never saw OH or the dogs and I hated it. It's definitely a serious consideration for moving now and future thoughts - ie whether you are planning or have children, other distances to family or friends, or towns or restaurants, things like that Smiley smile

• *Teabag*
    Beginner June 2013
    *Teabag* ·
    • Hide content

My commute went from a 6 minute drive to a 15 minute drive when we moved house. Prior to that, I had an 80 mile round trip every day and I did that for 7 years. My quality of life improved no end when I left that job and got one closer to home.

• O
    Beginner September 2013
    oggers86 ·
    • Hide content

It is currently 20 minute drive but if things work out with the new house it will up to around 30. Short commutes were an important criteria when house u hunting. I would have liked to have cut it down further but we couldn't find a house that we liked nearer after the first one fell through.

• WickyWack
    Beginner July 2013
    WickyWack ·
    • Hide content

Its a six mile journey for me that can take anything between 20 mins to 50mins dependant on traffic...

Getting to work isn't a problem for me, its finding a car parking space when I get there!

• mustard_mitt
    Beginner September 2015
    mustard_mitt ·
    • Hide content

Mine depends. I leave early to miss the traffic and doing so can save me a good 15 minutes (but it means me getting into the office 40 minutes before I start!). On average it's 35-40 minutes, but on a weekend I've done it in 30. This is a 40 mile round commute

It's actually a nice drive too. I can go motorway but I choose to go down the A & B roads, which is much more picturesque. It means driving through a few villages but it's much nicer (and a bit more direct than the motorway)

We've just moved further away as well (gone from a 20-25 minute motorway drive, 30 mile commute) but our new house is in a much nicer place, so I don't mind paying a bit extra for fuel ?

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

Yeah, it's a tough decision. There is a part of me that doesn't want to be identified as 'disabled' but then I am, there's no point in pretending otherwise. After all, my work class me as disabled and I have a special office chair and exemption from certain things (like fire training for evacuating our wheelchair user). The badge wouldn't necessarily be much different. I think there would be concern about how it was assessed - how 'disabled' would one have to be, or would it just be self-identifying? I assume that to get the baby on board one you just have to say you're pregnant - they probably don't ask to see an ultrasound Smiley smile

• Pompey
    Beginner June 2012
    Pompey ·
    • Hide content

I really need to thank my lucky stars that I work in the city I live. It's a 12 or so minute cycle or a 35ish minute walk.

• Sparkly Bear
    Beginner October 2015
    Sparkly Bear ·
    • Hide content

I used to work 1 hr away from home, but then they decided to dig up one of the roundabouts and it changed my journey from 50 mins to 1.5 hours due to all the traffic. The road works are set to continue to 2017, (they are putting in a underpass) - and I just knew I wouldn't be able to cope to with the drive. The drive was really boring and full of traffic. I couldn't bare it, so I changed my job. Now I only work 15 mins away from home and it is utterly amazing. My working hours are longer, but I still get home earlier than I used to because of the drive!

I would also consider how much you like your job? I thought I'd be able to cope with the 1.5 hours because I really really enjoyed my job, and it paid very well, and massively contributed to the wedding fund, but the drive was getting me down and the time. I'd get in from work and be to tired to do anything else, and I'd usually be grumpy because of the journey home!

• mustard_mitt
    Beginner September 2015
    mustard_mitt ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I wonder if you live near me Sparkly Bear? They are completing massive roadworks to a major A-road near where I live too, hence why I go A & B roads avoiding the roundabout they're putting the underpass on..... it's actually quicker for me to drive through the city than go around the city!

• CrazyRatLady
    Expert September 2014
    CrazyRatLady ·
    • Hide content

Mine is 5 miles by car, should take about 2 minutes, usually takes 20-25 because of traffic. The longest it has ever taken is 2.5 hours. Left work at 5, got home at 7.30. I could have walked it quicker ?

• cymruangel
    Beginner December 2014
    cymruangel ·
    • Hide content

Mine used to be about an hour and half into London. At the moment, I'm working from home, so a few seconds to get downstairs!

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Wow!!!!!!!

The police would never catch you!!!!!!?

• CrazyRatLady
    Expert September 2014
    CrazyRatLady ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hehe ok not quite 2 minutes, but it is 5 miles straight down a dual carriageway, the odd time I've popped in on a Saturday it has taken 4 or 5 minutes! And I have a 17 year old Fiesta that struggles to get above 60!

• Perox
    Beginner October 2013
    Perox ·
    • Hide content

I'm 20 miles each way, takes me about 45 minutes in bad traffic, about 30 when it's good - though I do have to leave early in the morning to make sure I don't hit really bad traffic! OH is at least an hour each way, usually more - and he has a tendency to not leave work until 8 as there's too much to do - so doesn't get home until 9ish, we hardly get to see each other!

We're both planning on getting jobs closer to home though - we're currently buying our first place, and hopefully will have a baby in the next couple of years, I don't think I could cope with my commute and childcare! Plus, it's £300 a month for my fuel (don't even count OHs as he has a company car and they take his fuel out of his salary, but I reckon he must be closer to £400 since he drives Land Rovers)

• Sparkly Bear
    Beginner October 2015
    Sparkly Bear ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

A46/A45 Tollbar Island by any chance?!

• mustard_mitt
    Beginner September 2015
    mustard_mitt ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

The very same! Nightmare isn't it! It'll be good when it's done but all the roadworks in the meantime are HORRENDOUS!

• Sparkly Bear
    Beginner October 2015
    Sparkly Bear ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It really is a nightmare - i dont work over in Coventry any more but when I did i came from Leicester, so i went up the M69, onto the A46 and usually queued from the Frankie and Benny roundabout - I know its only 2 miles from there to Tollbar but it used to take me 30 minutes just to clear that bit! x

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

25 miles each way - round the northern stretch of the M25 so can take anywhere from 40 mins to several hours!!!

Took me 15 minutes just to get off the M25 this morning.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics