Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner

How much should I pay for an adult bridesmaid dress?

sjgr, 22 May, 2011 at 17:02 Posted on Planning 0 22

Help please!!!

I went shopping yesterday with my only adult bridesmaid and the only dress we found we could agree on is £260! This seems a lot to me, but don't really have an idea of average price. It's an Alvina Valenta dress #9027.

Any advice gratefully received. Apparently I need to get on and order soon if this is the one we are having as they take 4 months to come in (my wedding is 29 October 2011).

S

22 replies

Latest activity by missdonald, 25 May, 2011 at 06:44
  • C
    Civil Ceremonies ·
    • Hide content

This (in black) was £140 and we certainly wouldn't have paid any higher for a BM dress.

http://www.ebonyrosedesigns.com/spring/33_ebonyrose.html

• GemmaLouise1986
    Beginner
    GemmaLouise1986 ·
    • Hide content

Personally I don't think it's *too* unreasonable.

My BMs are wearing Alfred Angelo dresses. They were £180 and £160 but this did include alterations.

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

How long is a piece of string?!

There is no "norm" for how much a dress should cost. Its surely more down to your budget and how much you have to spend on them? Mine are £35 each the the BM's prefer them to anything else we have tried on. The flower girls dress is £70 so double for half of the fabric but again its goes with what we wanted.

• NikiST
    Beginner July 2011
    NikiST ·
    • Hide content

I personally wouldn't pay any more than about £100 for an adult BM dress. Sure, they'll probably wear it again depending on the style but I'd never spend more than £100 on a dress for any occasion. (Except my wedding dress which cost me £600)

• B
    Beginner June 2011
    Beki<3'sphill ·
    • Hide content

I got all 3 bridesmaids dresses for under £20 from ebay, that was one adult, and 2 children. the adults dress i got for £9.99 and she absolutly loves it!

• Panjita
    Beginner May 2011
    Panjita ·
    • Hide content

Ours wer £180 reduced to £120 and then they only charged me for three of the four so got myself a good bargain! £260 sounds a lot to me.

• J
    Beginner
    julybride2011 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

that is my bridesmaid dresses (in black also) yay!

• leni-lw!
    Beginner November 2011
    leni-lw! ·
    • Hide content

We'e paid £220 for the dress and then my bm paid the extra £45 for the shawl that comes with it.. eeeek? its by romantica and like the other poster said its half the price of my dress- but its really gorgeous in it and she can wear it again

• queenofspain
    Beginner December 2011
    queenofspain ·
    • Hide content

Hope you dont mind me responding, I havent posted much. If you do feel free to ignore me!! I've paid £520 in total for my Bridesmaid dresses, which includes all alterations and hand made shrug to match the waist band. I paid this much because I know my BM's (my BM's are my 2 sisters) will look fabulous, and the dresses matched my wedding dress so well I couldnt resist! I knew these were THE dresses as fast as I knew about my own dress!!

They could always have them shortened afterwards and wear them again as knee length dresses (and in fact my older sister is same size as me, so I can try and steal it on occasion myself!!)

So to sum up, I think it doesnt matter how much/little you spend as long as you think your BM's will look lovely on the day:-)

• C
    Civil Ceremonies ·
    • Hide content

JulyBride2011

They are beautiful and even more gorgeous on. My daughter is having 6 bridesmaids all different shapes and sizes and the dress looks amazing on all of them.

• panda2011
    Beginner September 2011
    panda2011 ·
    • Hide content

I'm having mine made to measure by the Birmingham Dress Lady. They are copies of a Dessy dress which would be abou £260 ish full price. These are costing me £45 each. I couldn't afford to pay the full whack so I had to look for alternatives.

My CBM is also BM for another of her friends a couple of weeks before me. She was told before dress shopping that the bride would pay up to £75 per BM for the dress. The other BM is insisting that they have dresses costing considerably more at £150 per dress. As this is more than the bride had budgetted for, she has now turned round & told my CBM that she needs to fork out the extra £75 for a dress that she hates & doesn't want to wear. She is not a happy bunny! Sorry, went slightly off topic there!

• No.9
    No.9 ·
    • Hide content

It's a beautiful dress and could very well be worn again. So £260 on an occasion wear gown that can be used after the event is pretty good I think. I think many spend between £150 and £250 on a gown. HTH x

• J
    Beginner
    julybride2011 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

my maids first tried this dress on in january but the shop only had the red and purple in the shop. But now the my dresses are in the shop i took my cbm to try it on. they looked stunning. so classy and elegant. I actually cried when i saw her in it. Cant wait to see all four of them in the dress x

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

Totally agree. I bought mine from Asos at a cost of £36 each. I've bought ivory waist sashes for them all as well as matching cardigans and bags. They are beautifully made, properly lined and look gorgeous on.

For my hen party, I went on eBay and bought a new-with-tags "bridesmaid" dress in white. The seller bought them and changed her mind and was selling them individually. The one I bought is a lovely dress but 'unfinished'... the zip (which broke almost instantly) was only really tacked-in, it wasn't finished where it ended so there was a small hole, there are bra pads tacked to the inside which I will probably remove, and the dress isn't lined properly so it's ever so slightly see-through (but won't be an issue when I wear it at night). I realise they are sold "before alterations" but you would expect the zip they used to last more than once, you'd expect the dress to be thick enough so as not to be see-through, and quite frankly the quality from Asos was about a million times better.

• *JLS*
    Beginner July 2012
    *JLS* ·
    • Hide content

My dresses were £270 each from Berketex ? they were slightly more than I expected to pay, but they are perfect and my maids can wear them again and again as they are knee-length, strapless dresses.

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content

It would be a lot for me.

• BustyB
    Beginner June 2012
    BustyB ·
    • Hide content

My bridesmaids are buying their own dresses! How much have you budgeted for them?

Bx

• B
    Beginner
    bridetobe123 ·
    • Hide content

JLCB2B mine are from Berketex too! I got them in January and they had an offer on at the time. I had three adult bridesmaids and two child bridesmaids and got the two children's ones free. The offer was five bridesmaids for the price of three, although I did have to pay extra for alterations for each bridesmaid.

• a_white_izzy
    Beginner September 2011
    a_white_izzy ·
    • Hide content

My maids are paying for their own (except the one flying over from USA, I can't ask her to pay for hers) and they originally gave me a budget of £100. I found dresses on ebay for £50 so used £30 to buy shoes and then the lady went and let me down so I need to find dresses for £50 now.

• M
    Beginner June 2012
    missdonald ·
    • Hide content

I found my BM dresses here: http://wholesale.easy2bid.com/bridesmaid-dresses-c142

you might be able to find something good there matching your price range! Good Luck!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics