Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Q
Beginner March 2016

How much was your wedding dress?

queen-bee-333, 30 of April of 2015 at 02:04 Posted on Planning 0 65

Hi I'm getting married next year and starting to look at dresses. Although I have yet to go in and have a look at them in shops,I have been looking online. The prices I've seen are about £900+ which is,in my opinion quite expensive! Especially since it will only be worn once. I have seen a few advertised cheaper but they look very plain. I'm interested to know what other people paid for theirs and what thier dress was like?

thanks

65 replies

Latest activity by Lexi_K, 3 of May of 2015 at 12:20
  • M
    Beginner August 2016
    Mrs-Riley ·
    • Hide content

I haven't bought mine - or even looked properly really - but I have a budget of £250-£300.

I am willing to get mine off the peg - ex-sample - and there are a number of outlet stores that sell just these kinds of dresses. The more expensive dresses are the ones that you have to get sent off to make, sadly.

I would love to spend £1000 on my dress, but I just can't justify the expense! That's a third of our budget.

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

I've never revealed how much mine was to anyone except my mum and H, cos it was so cheap I was kind of embarrassed by it Smiley smile which I realise is preposterous. Let's just say it was south of £50, but then it really isn't most people's idea of a 'wedding dress' (apart from the fact it's white!) You can see it in the pics in my report.

• T
    Beginner September 2015
    TheNewHyacinth ·
    • Hide content

I ended up paying £795 (plus an extra £75 for straps) for my mori lee gown.

However originally I wanted this:
    which would have been around £185 custom made by bayliss and knight in manchester.

• Calella
    Beginner August 2016
    Calella ·
    • Hide content

The dresses I seem drawn to are around £1500. I'm not sure if I can justify it, I'd be much more comfortable spending half of that. I'm hoping to go to some sample sales or special price events to hopefully bring my costs down a bit. Bridal warehouses can also be good for finding a bargain!

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content

Mine was £895 originally but they gave me 10% off as my friend, who used to work there, directed me there.

• ☆♡☆VegasBride☆♡☆
    Beginner August 2014
    ☆♡☆VegasBride☆♡☆ ·
    • Hide content

Mine was Alfred Angel and cost £370 then the belt was extra at £160 xxx

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

J9 I almost wore your dress! Mine was about £800 I think, mori lee. Pics in my report in my signature

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

Mine was £100 - preloved and perfect for me ?

ID, you should never be ashamed of how much your dress cost! It's how you felt in it that matters, not how many pennies it cost you x

• hellandglory
    Rockstar October 2019
    hellandglory ·
    • Hide content

This is mine and it's £599. More than i wanted to pay, but totally fell in love with it.

• Daisy Bell
    Beginner August 2015
    Daisy Bell ·
    • Hide content

Mine was £250 as it was a sample. It's an Eternity Bride dress and the price tag said £750 new. I did have to get it cleaned so that was another £99 but I am so happy that I managed to find a dress within my very small budget. It fits me perfectly. Will have to have small alterations done in July as well as have a small tear along a seam fixed at the back not other than that, there's nothing wrong with it.

I absolutely love it. You can also see it on me here:

• K
    Beginner August 2015
    Kerrypug ·
    • Hide content

£225 in the January sales from Phase Eight, and it's exactly the style I wanted. I'd spoken to a dressmaker who was willing to make almost the same thing but in plain fabric for £500, so I got really lucky

• bliss_balloons
    bliss_balloons ·
    • Hide content

Mine was £500 ex sample and is has loads of detail.

• AKWedding
    Beginner August 2015
    AKWedding ·
    • Hide content

Mine was £600 from David's Bridal. It was one of their cheapest dresses, which was an influencing factor but I do really like it. It's a ball-gown style without needing the hoops below. As one of the assistant said, not everyone can pull off this style so that added to the specialness of it.

• halloweeny
    Beginner October 2013
    halloweeny ·
    • Hide content

Mine was £650 from a second hand bridal shop. It was a pronovias and cost a silly amount when it was new.

• MrsG_to_be
    Beginner July 2015
    MrsG_to_be ·
    • Hide content

Mine was £200 from monsoon and I loved it but had to sell now I'm going to be pregnant. Luckily the maternity bridal dresses I've seen are between £200-£350 so still not forking out lots. I'd be so uncomfortable wearing a £1000+ dress!

• MrsV-wasMissB
    Beginner August 2015
    MrsV-wasMissB ·
    • Hide content

Mine was £450 on the sale rail from £900. And I love it! MIL2B bought my tiara and veil which i could not believe was half the cost of the dress!!!

• Pipsybus
    Beginner June 2015
    Pipsybus ·
    • Hide content

Mine was £375 from David's bridal. It's having a few alterations which are about £200 (bustle, cap sleeves, taken up and in and a bra sewn in!) but I love it.

In my head I didn't really want to spend more than £500 but I guess £75 over isn't too bad!

• Pipsybus
    Beginner June 2015
    Pipsybus ·
    • Hide content

Duplicate

• J
    Beginner May 2015
    Jayla ·
    • Hide content

Mine was £1300 with alterations. The dress was always one of the most important things to be though and I LOVE it!

• Sweeties
    Beginner November 2016
    Sweeties ·
    • Hide content

I'm really relieved to read so many people getting dressing for less than £500. As I really don't want to spend anywhere near this.

I know if you spot 'the one' I would probably feel different, but its quite shocking how much they cost, considering how little you wear them.

I'll be looking in shops probably late this year, early next year, and really hope I can find something flattering and not a whole lot of pounds!

The OH made me feel loads better, by telling me he'd say if he didn't like it on the day... ermmm I'm prefer him not to! lol

• ebony_rose
    Genius
    ebony_rose ·
    • Hide content

£30.

I didn't have a traditional dress though.

• LittleMissPanda
    Beginner October 2015
    LittleMissPanda ·
    • Hide content

Mine cost me £500, it was an ex-sample dress
    I know I will need some alterations nearer the time and will have it steamed as well Smiley smile

• J
    Beginner March 2015
    JLLS ·
    • Hide content

Mine was £1050 but I asked what the best price they could do it for was and got it down to just above £900. It was more than originally planned, but I fell in love with it. Look around for sample sales - I know the shop where I got mine from have just had a big one and my dress was half price!! You could also look on preloved etc. I did look on a second hand wedding dress site for mine before I got it but couldn't find it and so bought it new. Mine was Madrid by Maggie Sottero. Sorry if the pic is massive!!

• Lui
    Beginner October 2015
    Lui ·
    • Hide content

Ohh, mine cost £1060, I did want to spend no more than £500 on it but I just fell in love with my dress so just had to have it!

• M
    Beginner August 2015
    MrsFitt2B ·
    • Hide content

My dress is Giovanna by Maggie Sottero and it cost just shy of £1000, I haven't had the alterations done yet, so I've no idea how much they will be. I'm not someone who spends any money on 'designer' clothes or bag usually, so I decided I was going to treat myself to a Maggie, (I've lways loved Maggie Sottero dresses.) Having said that, my mum actually bought my dress for me, which was very very generous of her.

• Asmurfette
    Beginner September 2015
    Asmurfette ·
    • Hide content

Mine was £350, sale rail bargain.. it was actually on the mannequin in the shop, i made her remove it lol ... no alterations as yet but she says to budget around £50 for seamstress. Will be getting a black petticoat which will cost me about another £100 i think...

• R
    Beginner September 2015
    ricepudding ·
    • Hide content

Dress £250 (charity shop)

Alterations £200 - completely stripping the dress, getting the back made into corset back, bodice rebuilt, recovered with different lace and tulle lined skirt ( was organza) and cap sleeves adding

Fabric: £400 -I wanted a particular type of lace which was not cheap! But I get to create the dress of my dreams and I feel better about doing it this way.

• K
    Beginner January 1999
    Kilner ·
    • Hide content

£450 from Monsoon - didn't want to spend more than £500. Love the dress, can't wait to wear it!

• Kamila27
    Beginner April 2016
    Kamila27 ·
    • Hide content

I haven't bought mine yet but I will (90%) from a Wed2B store. Those I liked are 150-449, that is much more decent price than most of other shops offer. I did check in more expensive boutiques and to be honest I don't see any difference in quality.

• A
    Beginner October 2015
    AlmostMrsS ·
    • Hide content

Mine was £500.00 - it was originally £800.00 but the fabric is being discontinued so I got it on sale and I got a further reduction because it was bought as seen.

This is mine vvvvvv it is the Romantica Elaine mine is in Ivory thought not white

• Lapland2015
    Beginner December 2015
    Lapland2015 ·
    • Hide content

Mine was £1400 without alterations but I do love it! It's alfred sung 6929

• V
    Beginner September 2015
    VegasBride2015 ·
    • Hide content

£975.....pleasantly surprised as we expected it to be much more expensive when I tired it on. I knew it was "the one" and was scared to ask the price as I wasnt paying. My mum nearly bit her hand off for it when we heard the price as she felt she was getting a bargain haha

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics