Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Q
Beginner March 2016

How much was your wedding dress?

queen-bee-333, 30 of April of 2015 at 02:04

Posted on Planning 65

Hi I'm getting married next year and starting to look at dresses. Although I have yet to go in and have a look at them in shops,I have been looking online. The prices I've seen are about £900+ which is,in my opinion quite expensive! Especially since it will only be worn once. I have seen a few...

Hi I'm getting married next year and starting to look at dresses. Although I have yet to go in and have a look at them in shops,I have been looking online. The prices I've seen are about £900+ which is,in my opinion quite expensive! Especially since it will only be worn once. I have seen a few advertised cheaper but they look very plain. I'm interested to know what other people paid for theirs and what thier dress was like?

thanks

65 replies

• MrsB88
    Beginner August 2015
    MrsB88 ·
    • Hide content

Mine was £1k with veil and a belt x

• B
    Beginner July 2016
    bananacatdance ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Where is this from/which designer?? Love it!

• I-go-by-many-names
    Super April 2015
    I-go-by-many-names ·
    • Hide content

Mine was a £599 sample. RRP £1257 new.

• MrsDJG
    Beginner May 2015
    MrsDJG ·
    • Hide content

My Mori Lee cost me £1095 + alterations. xx

• L
    Beginner October 2014
    LalaC1988 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Beautiful dress can't wait to see your report I brought this as a second dress for evening but it didn't fit right in the end but so comfortable x

• M
    Beginner October 2015
    MrsFRtobe ·
    • Hide content

Mine is £995, its a sincerity 3771. I have seen a handful on eBay etc

• R
    Beginner October 2015
    rach046 ·
    • Hide content

Mine is £1125, Lilian West 6351, brought new from a bridal shop.

Best of luck finding your dress xx

• C
    Beginner August 2016
    Chale ·
    • Hide content

Some gorgeous dresses on this thread!

I'm hoping to get mine from Wed2B, so I've budgeted £449 but a little extra in case I need to get it altered.

• L
    Curious October 2015
    LeedsWR ·
    • Hide content

I've had a lot of friends also getting wed in the past few years and they've paid a wide range - from £400 up to £1,200 (without alterations). All depends on your budget, your style and what you are willing to pay for your dress! Certain styles of dresses will cost more, so the first thing I would suggest is deciding this - then you can have a look at see what general prices are out there.

• C
    Beginner August 2016
    Chale ·
    • Hide content

When I started looking, I didn't even know that outlet-type places where you could buy samples existed - I thought I would have to pay upwards of £1000 for a dress from a boutique or get one on the high street from BHS or Debenhams. I was so happy when I realised that you COULD buy a gorgeous dress for around £500!

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It's Ellis Bridals 11167 ?

• Kamila27
    Beginner April 2016
    Kamila27 ·
    • Hide content

Maybe a bit out of topic, but I've just realised I can take part in a competition (in Wed2B, I'm pretty sure I'll from them anyway) and win a dress and bridesmaids dresses. I doubt I will win anything but hey, who knows! That would be hilarious to tell everybody my dress was £0 !

• Tigsy87
    Beginner June 2018
    Tigsy87 ·
    • Hide content

My dress is £4k. Extortionate I know but Ive tried on a million and this is the only one for me. So I am working more hours than I care to and saving my little butt off to pay for my dress. Will be worth it though because I feel so beautiful in it xx

• C
    Beginner August 2016
    Chale ·
    • Hide content

Same, I always enter their competitions as it would be so fantastic to win my dress!

• M
    Beginner October 2015
    mrsbelcher2015 ·
    • Hide content

Mine is end of season and cost £950. If it wasn't end of season it would have cost nearer £1300. I never liked the idea of spending lots of money on a dress, but I decided it was worth it if I found one I loved and I was lucky and found it in the first shop I went into. Part of me wonders if I should have shopped around and tried outlet stores, but I didn't want the extra hassle.

• Sambarine
    Beginner May 2015
    Sambarine ·
    • Hide content

Mine was $1800 for the dress, lace bolero, veil and hoop petticoat. That's just under £1200. I'm having alterations done and have had to buy a new petticoat as the one they sold me is rubbish. Havent had the final bill for that yet but have budgeted £200. It's more than I ever thought I'd spend on a dress, but I love it.

• Karen84
    Beginner July 2016
    Karen84 ·
    • Hide content

I went out with a budget of around £1,250 and my dress ended up being £850. I will still need to pay for alterations though and I have no idea how much that will be.

• S
    Beginner June 2015
    Scottish_Sarah ·
    • Hide content

Mine was approx £460 but it wasn't from a shop was from a tailors in Vietnam (I was there so had measurements and fittings most days)

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

Ooh, Scottish_Sarah I've been looking forward to seeing how your dress turned out, its beautiful

• S
    Beginner June 2015
    Scottish_Sarah ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

:-) I'm really pleased with it - still can't decide if it needs a belt but I love it - it's so comfy and because its 3 layers instead of 6 it's not too heavy and will be great for late June weather (even if its raining North East Scotland temperature compared to Southern England still feels hot!

• B
    Bruce Neville Photography ·
    • Hide content

Wow you all have chosen some really lovely dress designs. ?

• A
    Beginner March 2015
    Ash953 ·
    • Hide content

I spent US$700.

Scottish_Sarah, your dress is very lovely.

• Daniellax
    Beginner July 2017
    Daniellax ·
    • Hide content

It's so refreshing to hear how little some people paid for their dresses. I'm going dress shopping next week and thought I would have to budget £2000. It's nice to know from all your pictures, that you have got lovely dresses for much less!

• L
    Beginner October 2014
    LalaC1988 ·
    • Hide content

Mine was 319 plus say 80quid all in all for alterations. I loved my dress. I tried on dresses that was upto 1200 in the early stage and I just couldn't justify it in my head to pay that much money I had preference to an expensive honeymoon had I of paid the sort of money I think I'd have been worried about my dress on the day but when it came to it I was happy standing outside for the fireworks and not too concerned towards the end of the day when my dress was stood on by a kid.

• S
    soosiebloo ·
    • Hide content

My daughter gets married 30/4/2016 and she wants her dress made from mine which is 35years old and was made by my Mum. I have made a dummy one this week (from curtain lining) I have used 2 patterns I have got to do some adjustments but on the first viewing she loves it. There may not be quite enough fabric but we have a plan. I have got to completely unpick my dress and recut daughters dress.

I made my eldest daughters dress 2 years ago and that was a a 1950's tea length with 6 inverted box pleats (loads of fabric) and that cost approx. £60. It was a bit of a challenge because it was an original 50's Vogue pattern and my daughter is 6' tall so we had lengthen a lot.

I know my daughters haven't paid for the labour involved, I had 2 weeks holiday when I started my eldest dress and if you said I did 5 hours a day at £10 hour for 14 days that's £700. I do think wedding dresses are expensive but depending on the detail they can be very labour intensive. I'm not a professional and they sew a lot faster than me. I am a very methodic sewer so I probably take a lot longer.

Please don't be embarrassed about how little your dress cost I think you should be proud that you are happy with your choice.

• A
    Beginner March 2015
    Ash953 ·
    • Hide content

That is gorgeous, soosiebloo

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I don't think it needs anything. How did the bridesmaids dresses turn out?

• S
    Beginner June 2015
    Scottish_Sarah ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Really good the girls decided to go for a teal style Pippa Middleton style dress

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

Ooh, beautiful! Love that you went and got them all made :-) did you have an amazing time?

• S
    Beginner June 2015
    Scottish_Sarah ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It was awesome - we had a brilliant time never laughed so much on a holiday and we were in Hoi An during a light festival where they turn off the electricity and everything is lit by laterns and candle light. I also got our wedding rings made too

Sorry for the hijack OP - gist of it is I got all my dresses and tie's tailor made in Vietnam in under 10 days to our exact measurements so if your going on holiday there then it's well worth it if getting wedding rings as well.

• Fairytales19
    Beginner September 2015
    Fairytales19 ·
    • Hide content

My wedding dress was 2k and is by Sophia Tolli... i'm so in love with it! I tried on a lot of different dresses and designers and like others but this one is definitely 'the one'. I hadn't get 'that' feeling with any of the others and funnily enough this was the first designer I discovered and liked! x

• L
    Beginner June 2016
    Lexi_K ·
    • Hide content

£135 Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics