Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

How often do you use your washing machine?

1 of June of 2014 at 14:25 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 42

We do 2 to 3 washes a week for the two of us which I would have thought is about average, but we used to do it once every two weeks or once a month at Uni. I would sometimes buy new underwear instead of having to wash my existing dirty pants ?

And is there any way to revive a smelly machine? Like most things in this place that we just moved into, the washing machine has not been taken care of. It has black mould baked onto the door seal. I've done a service wash on 90 degrees with vinegar, and cleaned the seal with heavy cleaning stuff but it is still smelly and a bit rank. I'm not sure what else I can do?!

42 replies

Latest activity by Jackson, 13 of January of 2024 at 14:08
  • Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

We do 2-3 washes a week for the two of us. At uni I probably did my own washing every 2 weeks or so (depending on how long it took me to save up enough 20p's!), but it would usually be 2 loads.

Have you checked/cleaned the drain bit of your machine?

• Ohwhatatuesday
    Beginner May 2014
    Ohwhatatuesday ·
    • Hide content

I reckon we do about four a week for the two of us. I'm not sure how though! I've done five so far this weekend as we've just got back from honeymoon and wasn't on top of the washing before it so I've still got another 3 or 4 loads to go I think.

I'm pretty sure I did about two loads a week at uni. I have to wash new underwear before I wear it so buying new wouldn't help!

I use the same stuff as ruby. I use it every few months. not sure whether it will help if you've tried vinegar etc already though but definitely worth a go. Have you tried leaving the door open when it's not in use too? This can help to air it.

• cinnamon009
    Beginner December 2014
    cinnamon009 ·
    • Hide content

If the vinegar thing didn't work could be a clogged up filter? I know OH's machine is old and has a filter he has to clean regularly otherwise his clothes smell like wet dog. He can't smell it so I have to point out when he stinks. I have used the machine cleaner but I have lots of limescale in the water so it clears away the sediment rather than making it smell fresh.

I only do one or two loads a week. Depending on whether OH has brought me his laundry or not! I will re wear a top or skirt if it's still clean and doesn't smell whereas OH washes everything after one wear. No matter if it's still clean and he's only worn it a couple of hours.

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

Minimum two loads every other day, plus a sheets load once a fortnight and a towels load every time we run out!! And my machine takes a double load!!!

Try bicarbonate of soda or caustic soda, even a capful of bleach. But make sure you let it rinse thoroughly before you put your next wash in.

Advice from OH btw who repairs them for a living is if that doesn't work, possible you need a new filter or a new machine x

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

I have literally just put a dishwasher tablet through mine on a boil wash. They recommend once a month on a boil wash using biological powder to cut through all he slime from non bios and low temp washes. My washer is fairly new, only 18 months. Hate it when the musty smell comes but we can't get at our filter, I don't think. Will have to have a look. My old machine was easy. Still stunk tho x

• ebony_rose
    Genius
    ebony_rose ·
    • Hide content

I have just put my fifth load in the machine.

It's usually at least 2 washes a day, but weekends I do all the sheets (so 5 beds worth), my H's stuff he has from working away all week, his fishing stuff, and 2 extra sets of clothes off the step kids.

I use bleach in my machine if it every gets whiffy

• Pittabre
    Pittabre ·
    • Hide content

I do approx three washes a week for myself, a five year old and a multiple outfit a day three year old. I wish I knew how to get to our filter. I can remove everything else and clean it, it feels but can't get to that bit! The washing machine is six years old and it needed a repair last November and the repair man said they were designed with a life span of max five years in mind which really shocked me☹️ I'm goign to try that Dr Beckman stuff!

• Pittabre
    Pittabre ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Withotu sounding exceptionally stupid how? Where do you put it and what wash do you put the machine on etc etc

• Hoddy
    Beginner July 2014
    Hoddy ·
    • Hide content

For me it depends how often we are at work etc. But on average about 4 times a week for two of us in the summer when we can use the line, and about twice a week in the winter. We change our bedding every 2 weeks. I take my towels to my Mums as she has a tumble drier and I don't!

I love doing the washing and any type of cleaning, I am a bit of a weirdo. My washing machine doesn't smell as I clean it up regularly anyway.

• O
    Beginner September 2013
    oggers86 ·
    • Hide content

I wash our stuff every few days, the past few days it has been on once or twice a day but I find things wash better if I put smaller loads in.

We have had problems with our machine smelling, I tried bleach, soda crystals, white vinegar and calgon but nothing worked. In desperation we replaced the seal which has helped a bit as has buying new detergent. Instead of powder I now use liqui tabs which I love!! I now use the super rinse button when I remember and put stuff on a hotter wash when possible to help kill any bacteria.

To be honest I would prefer a new washing machine as this one we got off Gumtree but we have more urgent things to buy when we move so it will have to wait.

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content

Probably 2-3 loads per week on clothes, but a bedding wash and towel wash on Sundays...so 5 altogether.

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content

About 5 washes a week for two of us... One bedding, one towels, one dark, one light and one mixed wash.

Also a bleach the machine person...Couple of capfuls in the soap drawer and run a hotbvwash. No whiffs left!

• Pittabre
    Pittabre ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Off to try that now, thank you?

• mooshy
    Beginner April 2014
    mooshy ·
    • Hide content

We do about 4 loads a week for 2 of us. We probably need to do more but I hate laundry, or rather I hate hanging it out and folding it afterwards. I've used the Dr Beckmann stuff and also Oust washing machine descaler, both worked well.

• Tizzie
    Beginner June 2012
    Tizzie ·
    • Hide content

At least every day for three adults. Although it's two beds worth of sheets per week and one load of cats blankets and I seem to create a lot of washing because of my work clothes (complete outfit change per day plus overall and tabard) plus pjs and casual clothes. Sometimes at the weekend there can be three loads in one day if there are a lot of towels and stuff. Although it's a lot less than when my brother lived here!!

• StaceyLorraine
    Beginner July 2014
    StaceyLorraine ·
    • Hide content

Mine depends on how many shifts my partner is working if he works 3 shifts in a week I do 4 loads if he works 7 shifts I do 8 loads... He works at Gatwick and has to have immaculate uniform everyday and only has 3 sets of uniform. The other load I do once a week is full of baby clothes, bibs and sick cloths.

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content

We usually do about 4 loads a week for the 2 of us, depending on how many times OH has visited the gym.

Our machine smells from time to time and OH cleans out the filter (not a nice job) and then we do a 90 degree wash with a washing tablet in. Seems to do the trick.

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content

Too many according to Mr Erin! It's about 4 times a week. I get through a lot of clothes with work and going to the gym. I always leave the door and soap draw open after use as l HATE the smell of damp. From time to time l use the limescale stuff as the water where we live is stupidly hard. Sometimes l put done bleach in with my white towels to freshen them up which probably helps the machine.

• *MM3*
    Beginner June 2014
    *MM3* ·
    • Hide content

We do 4/5 washes per week most weeks.

Very messy 4 1/2 year old and forever getting paint on clothes at nursery etc. OH's work uniform and towels from showers everyday mostly.

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

4 a week usually for the two of us, although occasionally I get away with 3. We have an agreement - I do all the washing of clothes and he does all the washing of pots.

• CrazyRatLady
    Expert September 2014
    CrazyRatLady ·
    • Hide content

I feel like a total hobo reading some of these. I do one load a week for 2 of us, and shove everything in that load, our clothes, the rat's hammocks...I do a load of bedding separately every other week.

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

Oh pet, tackle bits of the house as you go. If the washing machine works ok, just use it just now and replace it down the line when you need to. That's our plan, if it works ok even though it's a bit gross (ours has the black stuff all in the seal too, doesn't look like it was ever cleaned so has actually stained the rubber - rank)it cleans clothes fine. I use bleach in it every couple of weeks and that's helped a lot with the smell.

• SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong ·
    • Hide content

No idea, it's her-indoors' job.

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yikes! Did I time slip back to the 50s? ?

I assume you have a different area of responsibility?

• *Teabag*
    Beginner June 2013
    *Teabag* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Sounds like a euphemism to me ?

We do around 5-6 washes a week and that's for 2 of us. I try to leave the washine machine door open to prevent that musty smell. I have no idea if it will work, but in our old house our washing machine was integrated so it wasn't really an option.

• SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ha! No, she does the cooking, the cleaning, the washing and the ironing. I pay for things, read the paper, scratch my crotch and burp.

?

Seriously, yes .. we compliment each other at home quite a lot, there are certain jobs each of us hate that the other doesn't mind doing.

• CrazyRatLady
    Expert September 2014
    CrazyRatLady ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Lol! Unfortunately not. Our weekly wash actually does include 3 or 4 little hammocks from our rats cage, and their cut up cot blanket bedding! Really shouldn't chuck it all in as our clothes come out with rat hair on them but I am just that lazy ?

• cinnamon009
    Beginner December 2014
    cinnamon009 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Sounds exactly like my OH when he stays at mine....if you added in mow the lawn. ?

He does try TBH but I am a bit specific about washing clothes - he bungs everything in together (cleaning cloths, towels, normal clothes, work out gear, whites) and throws something that may or may not be detergent in with it and hopes for the best. I did wonder at the weekend if I have now set a rod for my own back as he does very little to help now when he is at mine* - he doesn't understand how to stack a dishwasher so things come out still dirty so rather than learn he leaves it. He doesn't cook. He occasionally cleans up the kitchen and changes bedding if I specifically ask him.

* I realised whilst writing the concept of 'mine' and 'his' should be coming to an end but as he works hundreds of miles away and has kept his house in Yorkshire for when we have the kids we do still have two separate houses which we think of as our 'own'. I have no belongings in the house in Yorkshire as I still think of it as his - so when I go to Yorkshire I don't do anything there!

• SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong ·
    • Hide content

Cinnamon - that does sound a little bit like you may have inadvertently created a rod ... bear it in mind Smiley winking

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content

Cinnamon, we have two separate houses too. It's a strange life....!

(However, I decide on al the decor, how much shizz he is allowed to store in my house, exactly how the garden is done, the purchase of ALL things house related.....Oh, and he can't invite anyone to stay without my explicit agreement!)

• H
    Beginner August 2014
    H3LEN ·
    • Hide content

Too many times.

The smell is hard to get rid of so an ex of mine says who's an engineer for hot point. But he told me to buy the bottled lemon juice from the supermarket it's about 50p put it in the draw and the drum use the whole bottle and put it on the hottest temperature you have. Do it twice a month. But I only do it once a month.

• MummyMoo82
    Beginner October 2012
    MummyMoo82 ·
    • Hide content

We have a 9kg beaut coming this week!

With 2 adults, 2 kids and a dog I say maybe 1 a day? Today I am washing my sons bedding and some lights/white and then the basket is empty.

All bedding is washed weekly. Dogs is washed when she has had a bath (2-3 weeks).

i have never cleaned a washing machine? I have occasionally cleaned the drawer bit.

FYI - I was told by a repair guy that you should always put loose powder in the machine and never in the drawer

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics