Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

mummymrs2b
Beginner April 2013

How soon before the wedding do you book hen do?

mummymrs2b, 28 March, 2012 at 09:17 Posted on Planning 0 24

Getting married next April and a couple of people asked when I'm having the hen do... Answer is I've no idea! Is there a certain time your meant to go before the wedding or is it just whenever? When did you go on your hen do? X

24 replies

Latest activity by Blonde Viki, 28 March, 2012 at 21:53
  • moonpie1985
    Beginner July 2012
    moonpie1985 ·
    • Hide content

I have asked my hens to book mine a week before!

I dislike the idea of having it months before, which some of my friends have done.

• far2calm
    Beginner May 2012
    far2calm ·
    • Hide content

Its just what works best for you, mine is 5 weeks before, gives me a chance to work off the drink and yummy food in time for the big day. All probably be having a local one to and that will be 3 weeks before.

• Jokaty82
    Beginner May 2012
    Jokaty82 ·
    • Hide content

It really does depend. We fly to Cyprus for our Wedding on the 23rd May.

April was wiped out as 2 Best Friends have 30th Birthdays so knew we would be going away for that or have parties. Also MIL's 50th at start of May, so the Hen/Stag are this weekend.

In an ideal world I would have probably done the week after Easter, but had to think about my Hens as well xx

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

Personally I would not recommend the weekend before the wedding as I was far too busy at that stage, but if you're organised you might be able to do it.

I don't think there's a set time you're supposed to have it, and a lot of it will depend on your other commitments and when all your friends/BMs can make it.

I got married on 10th Sept but had my hen party in early July. This was earlier than I would have liked it, but a lot of my friends are doctors, and we all change jobs in August, and often don't get our rotas until a few weeks beforehand, so I didn't want to take the risk that they would have to cancel last minute, therefore did it before changeover day. Then there was only one weekend in July where neither I nor any of my bridesmaids were working, so we had to pick that one!

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

Mine is 7 weekends before the wedding, but that is just because it was the only one I and my main hens weren't busy.

• Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content

All depends on what you want to be doing and the location of both the hen do and all your hens you want to attend!

If everyone lives local to you and you're planning to do a meal/night out in your home town then no need to plan this far in advance (although it might be nice to agree what date so people have no excuse)

My hens are all over the country and we want to do a whole weekend so it's being arranged now, hen will be 10/11 Nov, and wedding is 2nd March.

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

Mine's 5 weeks before the wedding... though I've not actually got one yet, just the date haha.

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

Im having mine in June getting married in September (2013) only because I want to go abroad so it will be cheaper and less busy then going in July or August

• Cilla
    Beginner April 2012
    Cilla ·
    • Hide content

Mine is this weekend, 2 weeks before. But we booked it last August to give people time to pay in installments

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

Mine is something like 5 or 6 weeks before we leave to fly abroad for the wedding. My sister (MOH) is also BM at her friend's wedding a week before we leave, so she'll be busy with that for the couple of weeks before we leave. We had to work around when the majority of my friends were free, and 5 or 6 weeks before was the only weekend that suited everyone.

There isn't a set time to have it. It just depends what suits.

• A
    Beginner April 2014
    Aprilbride2014 ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

wedding 2 years away so havent looked at a hen night yet, but im planning onhaving mine about 6 weeks before, i figure i will be too stressed any closer to the wedding, also as weddings are usually expensive things for people to attend, want to give people abit of space in between, so im not asking them to pay out too much all at once :-/

• venart
    Beginner June 2013
    venart ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It depends what you plan to be doing on your hen do. If you're doing a trip somewhere, you need to book at least a couple months in advance to be sure everyone is on board and you get good prices for flights/trains/hotels.

If you're doing a nice dinner or show or spa day, plan as far in advance as you need to make reservations and make sure people will be able to attend! If you have friends travelling more than an hour to get to you I would plan it a month in advance just to be sure they can get their train tickets (unless they drive I suppose) if they want to book early to save ££s.

If you're just going out to a night club or similar and don't need to actually book ahead, plan as last minute as you and your guests can handle!

ETA the amounts of time I gave are prior to the hen do, not prior to the wedding. Have your hen do any time you want. We're doing a big trip for our hen and stag, and due to scheduling it has to be 6 months before the wedding!

• S
    Beginner May 2012
    Stephhowell ·
    • Hide content

My hen party is 5 weeks before the wedding, (and 2 weeks on Friday!!!). Just seemed to work out that was the weekend most people were free. Didnt want to leave it til May as thought I would be too busy and want to enjoy the Maybank hol at home with OH!. It is really up to you and your hens though!! Best idea is to through around a few dates between you all and see what most people come back with.

• PurpleStar
    Rockstar May 2022
    PurpleStar ·
    • Hide content

My hen do is 2months before my wedding because most of my hens have got quite a way to travel and they couldn't of afford to travel down twice within a short period if my hen do and had been within a couple of weeks of the wedding itself

• Jonesey
    Beginner June 2012
    Jonesey ·
    • Hide content

Mine is 3 weeks before the wedding as not planning on anything too raucous...although famous last words and all that!

• Lola-Belle
    Beginner April 2013
    Lola-Belle ·
    • Hide content

Hello, Im having the same, me and the girls fancy an adult only weekend in butlins, just looked out of intrest and for next march (wedding is in may) there are only 13 rooms left! So it deffinatly depends where your going. I was just about to post about mine actually its coming out £124.00 pp for travel and accomadation for 3 nights. Do you think this is too much? Its about £2.50 per week from now. (£10 a month) for people to save up

x

• Jen31601
    Beginner March 2013
    Jen31601 ·
    • Hide content

Mine is 4 weeks before my wedding. My H2B and I are having the same weekend away (although completely different ends of the UK!) and I wanted it to give us enough time if his any eyebrows or other visible bodily hair need to grow back!!! ?

• N
    Beginner June 2012
    Nicalf08 ·
    • Hide content

Mine is about six weeks before purely because it's one of the only weekends I can definitely fly back for and also when my moh was free as she has a lot going on in the month before my wedding.

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content

Having my hen weekend with seven weeks to go, and a hen night in Glasgow with two weeks to go.

• *JLS*
    Beginner July 2012
    *JLS* ·
    • Hide content

I'm having my hen weekend next weekend - so excited - and my wedding is the first weekend in July. I chose the Easter weekend as most of my friends are teachers so this way I knew the majority of them woulod be able to make it ?

• xMissyLoux
    Beginner September 2012
    xMissyLoux ·
    • Hide content

I'm glad you posted this as I was wondering this myself. I've already decided on my hen but wondered just out of curiosity!

Personally, I didn't want my hen months before the wedding as it symbolises your last bit of 'freedom' with the girls before married life so then didnt want months of 'freedom' left lol and going back traditionally the hen and stag were held the day before the wedding (although this is totally impractical!)

I'm having mine 3 weeks before the wedding, which I think is perfect but also co-incidental as I've already booked (before the wedding was even planned) to go and watch Michael McIntyre with OH on the Thursday of this week in the same city I'm holding my hen. So it means I won't need to take any additional leave from work as already have that Friday off! It also means OH and I get a little joint celebration on the Thursday and extends the weekend a bit! Woop!

• Sparkly Bride
    Beginner August 2012
    Sparkly Bride ·
    • Hide content

Mine is 28th july and I get married 25th august so about 4 weeks apart.

• mummymrs2b
    Beginner April 2013
    mummymrs2b ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the advice ladies. Most people coming are within half hour who are coming. Ive not decided what to do yet but thinking a weekend either Liverpool or Manchester, nothing too much, possibly cocktail making or a meal, night out? Don't want to make it too expensive for people so need to look at prices. Think I shall look at about 8 weeks before then gives me time nearer to have the 2nd, just a hen night meal for my young bridesmaid and nan etc to be involved. X

• Blonde Viki
    Beginner July 2012
    Blonde Viki ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is what I'm doing, though in Eastbourne Smiley smile

If it helps you budget, we've managed to get our hotel, dinner, bed & breakfast plus cocktail making class for about £120 per person (£30 for the cocktail class, £89 for the hotel with dinner & brekkie).

I'm having mine 8 weeks beforehand as well, we have so few weekends free before the wedding that there were only 2 left in May - I got the 12/13 and OH is having the 26/27 for his stag Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics