Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

bexjoe
Beginner May 2013

How to fill in time between ceremony and reception?

bexjoe, 25 September, 2012 at 19:10 Posted on Planning 0 6

We are having our ceremony around 11am (still needs to be confirmed with Priest). It is a catholic ceremony so we have allowed 1 hour. We then allowed around 1 hour for the photos. We have the reception booked for 7pm but it is around 1- 1 1/2 hours from where the ceremony is taking place.

We will be having a buffet for the reception and our original plan was to go for a meal after the ceremony with close family and friends. Our budget is tight and we are wondering if anyone can come up with something cheap to fill in the time (if we don't have the meal- we will still need feeding though!)

6 replies

Latest activity by 2b_MrsB, 25 September, 2012 at 23:14
  • Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content

Is meal you are/were thinking about on having at the same place as your evening reception?

Its not so much filling time I think but sorting out what and where you will be able to eat with your day guests as an 11am ceremony to a 7pm evening reception is a long time to wait!

I would look at getting straight to the venue after ceremony and photos and having drinks and food with your day guests.

• bexjoe
    Beginner May 2013
    bexjoe ·
    • Hide content

We are getting married in a Catholic Church in Waltham Abbey (Essex) then our reception is booked at the Golden Hinde ship in London Bridge. We were originally going to have our ceremony there too but the in laws wanted it to be a church.

We are probably going to just invite family and close friends to the ceremony and feed them at a restaurant after as we only wanted a small ceremony. We will then have the majority going to the reception at 7pm where the buffet will be provided.

• Luna_12
    Beginner October 2012
    Luna_12 ·
    • Hide content

Is there no way to make the ceremony later or the reception earlier? I really have no ideas sorry but good luck x

• L
    Beginner December 2012
    LEN11212 ·
    • Hide content

If I understand you correctly, you are saying that you were planning to basically just have an evening reception, but as family have persuaded you to have a church wedding, and that is early in the day, you are now left with the big gap in the middle?

If that is the case, and it really is just a small number of close family, then I think a nice lunch somewhere sounds ideal. And you wouldn't have to worry about large numbers of people not having anything to do if they are only coming for the evening reception.

Maybe I have the wrong end of the stick though?!

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content

Wow, that ship is cool as! No wonder you wanted the whole thing there!

I wouldn't worry about 'entertainment' as such, if it was me I would find a nice restaurant/hotel with a private room for a nice meal that is half way or more on the way to the Ship! People will entertain themselves chatting and catching up in my opinion.

Our reception is about 40 mins from the Church and we have booked a coach to take us all (about 40 all together) so it should be fun...!

• I
    Beginner October 2013
    Irisbride ·
    • Hide content

Can you not have the ceremony later? We are having a catholic ceremony but having it at 1 or 1.30 x

• 2b_MrsB
    Beginner June 2013
    2b_MrsB ·
    • Hide content

I'd also suggest looking into a later ceremony, we are having ours at 3.30pm

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics