Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Curious April 2024 West Midlands

i feel so fat

Sarah, 25 of September of 2022 at 21:51 Posted on Wedding Attire 0 21
I went to the wedding show over the weekend. Was really looking forward to trying on dresses to see what style I liked. Omg all it has done is make me feel fat. Nothing fitted me everything I tried on looked awful. I am a size 14 with DD boobs. I feel so deflated

21 replies

Latest activity by Sarah, 24 of October of 2022 at 11:42
  • Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content

Try not to feel down, wedding dresses are cut smaller than normal sizes, so don't look at that. Also at these shows they will only carry a small number of sample sizes and I felt they were all for stick thin brides as they are designer. You are best to book an appointment at a shop where they will carry samples in a few sizes, and if they don't, again don't panic, it is normal for them to have smaller ones to try and they will pin you in so you can see the overall look. I am a 16 and had to go up a size for my dress but it was so flattering and made me look smaller. Please don't let this experience ruin the dress picking for you, you will find something x

• A
    Expert July 2023 Cornwall
    Anonbride ·
    • Hide content

Aww I'm so sorry to hear this - I'm just going to echo Charlotte's comments and say go to a proper bridal boutique, they have loads of samples and are so clever and making them look like they fit you. I'm a size 8-10 and when I went shopping some of the samples were too big and some were too small but that's because they pick the one they have in (usually 2 or 3 per dress style so I hear) that's closest to your size and then they pin and do all sorts to show you how it would look once they've ordered in a size for you based off of your measurements and had it altered - it really is amazing how they can make a dress that so obviously isn't your size look like it is! Also remember that hardly any wedding dress fits ANYONE like a glove off the rack because they are all designed to be altered by a seamstress to fit your measurements exactly (it's completely different to shopping in a normal clothes store) Smiley heart

• Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    Don't feel down its not you it's the dresses they are always small X❤️
  • Sarah
    Rockstar August 2024 Warwickshire
    Sarah ·
    • Hide content
    It’s easier said than done, but please don’t be hard on yourself.

I don’t feel the wedding show is the best place to be trying on dresses. It needs to be done in a safe space. Bad lighting, crowding place, no doubt you recently ate / drank too. You will find the perfect dress and will feel amazing in it too - maybe try something you wouldn’t normally go for, I bet you’d be so surprised!
  • K
    Savvy September 2023 East Sussex
    Kyla ·
    • Hide content
    Hey Sarah, I'm so sorry you feel this way and I just want to say that you are not fat, you are perfect as you are.

I'm a curvy girl too and wedding dress shopping was terrifying until I found places that had dresses in a good range of sizes. I'm much bigger than you and now I'm excited to go dress shopping because here's what I've discovered:
    Wedding dresses are ALWAYS too small based on the label. Why? Who the heck knows? But size 8 women might have to wear a 12 sample size to just to get the right 'fit'.
    Corset backs are way more forgiving, in terms of adjustments!
    If you go to a boutique to get your dress, the sample sizes will NEVER look as good as your actual dress. But you will known when you're in the one!!
    Your real dress will be made bigger than your current size so they can tailor it down to your dimensions perfectly.
    As one busty lady to another, the right bra helps! But most dresses have built in cups or structures (or you can request these to be added).
    There's a dress out there that is perfect for you, but you may need to try on several before you find the one!
    Wedding shows can be amazing, but nothing beats finding the right boutique that will cater to you as an individual.
    Accentuate what you love.
    And remember your partner thinks you're beautiful as you are!
    Best of luck, lady! Hope you find your dream dress.
  • S
    Sarah ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you so much. I have found what sems to be a fantastic shop in Hereford. We are going to have a good look on 31st. I am taking my daughter. I know what I want I have just got to find it
  • K
    Kyla ·
    • Hide content
    Hi Sarah, that's amazing news! Enjoy the experience! Wish you the best of luck and that you say yes to the dress!
  • S
    Sarah ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I'm not planning on buying as yet as it's too early (maybe)
  • K
    Kyla ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ahhh, you're a 2024 bride like me! Yeah, maybe too early but that does mean more time for shopping 🤗
  • S
    Sarah ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Exactly. Have you started shopping ? I don't know where you live but this shop is called June lacy bridal in Hereford. She is on Facebook. Might be worth at least a look xx
  • K
    Kyla ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I'm Sussex based and yes I've started looking but I've actually decided to pull back a bit because I was so stressed out! I like to call ahead and see what they say about their sizing. But mostly, the response has been so good.
  • S
    Sarah ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I'm in Wales. So not to many by me. That's why I said about June she was amazing when I messaged her. Really understanding about what happened to me and how I feel.
  • K
    Kyla ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    So good to hear! Good luck and enjoy 😉
  • S
    Sarah ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    And you. Happy wedding planning. Take your time and try not to get stressed
  • Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    How's the dress search going hun X♥️
  • S
    Sarah ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Got an appointment on 31st. Me and my eldest daughter are going x
  • Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That will be a lovely thing to do with your daughter my daughter helped me pick mine was online but it's a special moment to have with them are you excited or nervous X♥️
  • S
    Sarah ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Pretty excited if I'm honest. Just going to look because my other daughter wants to go too when we buy
  • Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I hope you have an amazing day and find the dress you want x♥️
  • Sarah
    Rockstar August 2024 Warwickshire
    Sarah ·
    • Hide content
    I don’t feel the wedding show is the best place to try dresses on which probably massively contributed to how you feel. Please don’t put yourself down x
  • S
    Sarah ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I've given myself a stern talking to we are going to a plus size wedding shop. I'm good I just felt awful

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics