Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

FL.
Savvy October 2023 Puy-de-Dôme

i Found my dress, but having second thoughts

FL., 10 of October of 2022 at 13:43 Posted on Planning 1 16

Hi fellow brides to be,

I am majorly panicking about my dress, I absolutely LOVE it but I'm having second thoughts. I'm not getting married until next year and have already paid a deposit and ordered my dress. My problem is I feel like it's too similar to a friend of mine that got married last year. It's the same designer so it has similarities but it's not the same. Do you think she will be annoyed? It's the style that's the same, fit and flare with a lot of detail and lace. Hers had a cape, not a veil, mine has detachable sleeves, hers didn't. The colouring is slightly different. Mine has a super long train hers was long but not as long.

Am I being silly? I feel like it would be too late to order another one anyway but I just need some reassurance that I've not committed a bridal crime. Thank you xx

16 replies

Latest activity by Michelle, 13 of October of 2022 at 17:30
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

While individual dresses may be different, there is a limit to the number of general styles available, so it's inevitable that your dress is going to end up 'similar' to a number of other people getting married, especially if you are at the stage when all your friends are getting married. I do't think anyone will mind, and if your friend has an issue with it, that would suggest she's not as good a friend as you think.

If it's going to keep worrying you though, I would just have a word with her. "I've found my dress, but I've just realised it's quite similar to the one you had at your wedding. Do you mind?"

• FL.
    FL. ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you so much, that's honestly already put my mind at ease and you are totally right, I'm at the age where we are all getting married and I don't want to limit my choice of dress because a friend wore something similar. I can't go a whole year of worrying! x

• Abi
    Dedicated May 2024 Conwy
    Abi ·
    • Hide content
    Unless someone pays for a one of a kind dress, they don’t have the right to be annoyed if someones dress is similar, I genuinely wouldn’t mind someone having a similar dress, if anything it would just give me reassurance that I made the right decision a year ago, knowing that you found it beautiful enough to wear something similar!
  • FL.
    FL. ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you, that's such a relief to hear. Hopefully she will be as understanding and flattered! Smiley smile x

• Emily
    Dedicated February 2023 Hertfordshire
    Emily ·
    • Hide content
    I was worried about this with my sister as she is like younger version of me amd there are similar features on my dress as was in hers. But, time has passed, only family overlap, different hair styles, accessories, colour of flowers, I'll have a veil, she didn't.
    It will all be fine. No worries.
  • R
    Savvy November 2022 Norfolk
    Ruth ·
    • Hide content

This happened to me too - I picked a dress that was very similar to a girl whose wedding I went to about 2 weeks after dress shopping. I told her (a few days after her wedding!), and we had a giggle about having similar fantastic taste! If anything, she was flattered. Hope you have a similarly great experience! Smiley smile

• Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    I think your feeling what every bride feels but you picked this dress for a reason and so what if it's similar to your friends it should not be a problem unless she has one an from what you said it's different in certain ways don't feel like it's not the dress for you it is you will look amazing on the day X ♥️
  • George
    Dedicated July 2023 Kent
    George ·
    • Hide content
    Don't worry at all when I got married my cousin had to remind me that the dress I was going to wear as a male bride was similar to my sisters dress from last year but I wore the dress anyway and no one mentioned it, no your not be silly I had loads if thoughts about my dress like if my sister will say something about it or if family won't like me wearing it as a man but it all went well Don't worry
  • FL.
    FL. ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Awww so good to hear! Yes fingers crossed she’s equally as flattered 🥰 x
  • FL.
    FL. ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yeah it’s good to know that I’m not alone. It’s not changed how I feel about mine as it’s absolutely perfect! Makes me feel so much better that everyone is saying it’s not an issue! I’m sure I’ll find something new to stress about 🥰 x
  • FL.
    FL. ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ahhh that’s amazing, thank you for putting my mind at ease 🥰 I’m going to find something new to worry about 😂 I have a whole year yet! Can’t wait x
  • George
    Dedicated July 2023 Kent
    George ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    No problem at all, hope your wedding goes perfectly. Glad I could help
  • Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Good luck with all your planning X♥️
  • Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Don't forget as well your wedding will be different to your friends from your hair to makeup also your colour scheme so don't worry you will look amazing on the day X♥️
  • FL.
    FL. ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you so much! That's a really good point, all of those factors will be super different! xx

• Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Totally different here if you need any help X❤️

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics