Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

I need a new bed

12 of July of 2012 at 18:22 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 31

OH has broken the bed - he bounded into bed a few times and we heard a massive crack a few weeks back. It's been creaking for ages every time we move even the tiniest bit (not for that reason mind!) and we had a look today. There is a massive, unfixable crack in the middle beam.

So we need a new one. I've never bought anything as big as a bed before, what's good out there? Any you would recommend/avoid? What would your dream bed be? HELP!

edit: I should say that, although I HATE them, I think we'll need a divan bed. Anything with wooden slats he might break again! But I need a head-board if it is a divan one. If we were to buy a wooden one (which I'd prefer) it would need to be really sturdy. Argh this is so annoying!

31 replies

Latest activity by RomanticPinkConfetti35902, 8 of July of 2019 at 14:25
  • Missus S
    Missus S ·
    • Hide content

Best going to try them. I hated memory foam ones despite people raving about them.

• LeeLee :)
    Beginner
    LeeLee :) ·
    • Hide content

When my folks starting looking for mattresses (not the frame) they said the sales person didn't recommend memory foam mattresses as they weren't great at hygiene because of sweat and how it seeps into the mattress.

I need a new mattress and will have to start looking soon but they can be several hundred quid which is a lot, but then it would be a good investment for a good nights sleep and help with posture (well one can hope!).

What type/style do you like, do you like wooden/leather/metal frame or a divan?

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

If you hate divans (and I'm with you on that) what about a metal frame? Less likely to crack than the wooden ones IMO, and they have headboards.

Ours was really really cheap from Tesco, I'm not saying I recommend it as it was bought in desperation at a time when we were flat broke and if I was buying now I'd spend a little more. But on the other hand it does the job and was super easy to put together (plus is super easy to take apart and put back together which will be useful when we move. Are you planning to take the bed when you move?).

• Vanilla Pod
    Beginner September 2011
    Vanilla Pod ·
    • Hide content

Just as you posted this an advert came on for half price sale at Dreamers bedstore. May be worth a look.

We are also in the process of researching a new bed. I need something orthapeadic, the bed in Mexico was really hard and sturdy and the difference it made to my back was amazing. We also want a bigger one. Kingsize plus?

I need divans as I really use the drawer space underneath.

• Suzie&Karl
    Beginner January 2012
    Suzie&Karl ·
    • Hide content

This is our bed from Tesco. Not sure how much it costs now but we paid £450 for just the frame. One of the best beds ive slept in. Had no problems with anything

http://www.tesco.com/direct/bernay-king-bedstead-with-2-drawers-brown/204-6757.prd

• *Bea*
    Beginner October 2011
    *Bea* ·
    • Hide content

My OH insists on jumping into bed we've had divans and metal ones before and I think they are worse than wood.

We got ours from the Cotswold company a couple of years ago lovely and solid.

http://www.cotswoldco.com/bedroom-furniture/beds/

• K
    Beginner April 2013
    Kadypants ·
    • Hide content

Ahh... we need a new bed too! Ours is a divan and I never want another, I really dont like them. Ive seen some really nice ottoman style beds... lots of storage underneath. Not sure what theyd be like durability wise.

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

Dont get metal ones- they creak something rotten at the slightest hint of ? and I seem to remeber your H is quite well built- would probably be worse.

Have you looked at Ikea? Thier beds are quite big and they do all types? I like Malm;

• K
    Beginner April 2013
    Kadypants ·
    • Hide content

Ooh I like the Malm too. All our other bedroom furniture is Malm.

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

❤️ this (minus the curtain and that particular bedding)

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

We've just bought one from Ikea too, kingsize for about £220, but although it has wooden slats its got a really sturdy bracing piece that runs top to bottom. I had my H looking underneath all the ones we looked at to see what the slats were like because our last one broke the same as yours has! This is ours:

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/S69889538/

The only thing I would say about Ikea (and I don't know if anyone else has found this) but their beds are made to fit their mattresses so we have a bit of a gap down the side of the frame because we already had a good mattress from somewhere else

• Agouti
    Beginner September 2013
    Agouti ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We've had the reverse problem - had to replace our Ikea bed (Malm) and the mattress is slightly too big for the new bed! Can't justify buying a new mattress at the moment!

We would've got another Ikea bed but saw others which had free delivery online. We got ours from https://www.bedworld.net/ - was v cheap and they deliver on a Saturday.

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

Thats really strange! My H has got a van so we just went to the store and got the one we wanted there and then, no delivery charges

• P
    Beginner September 2011
    PrettySparkly ·
    • Hide content

Enterflora - not sure if you are still on the lookout for a bed, but I have one going spare, we're decorating and parents have treated us to a new bed (no idea why, I think they're after grandkids....!!!)

Anyway, its a divan, with 4 storage drawers. King size. No mattress I'm afraid, we're keeping it for the time being. But I'd be funny about selling a matress anyway!

I'm near Bournemouth, Dorset, if you're interested give me a shout.

Smiley smile

• P
    Beginner September 2011
    PrettySparkly ·
    • Hide content

Sorry, bed has gone, hubby sold it!

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

We have malm furniture but not the bed. We did have a lovely leather bedstead but it was a bit big for the room when it came to sell so we got a cheap tiny wooden one temporarily... I have permanent bruises on my legs now!!! When we move we will get a king size for our room and use the leather one in the guest room.

Defo need a new mattress though... ours is like sleeping on a bag of coat hangers!!!

I'm not a fan of divans but they can be practical with storage.

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content

Ooooh, we have Malm furniture in our bedroom...black. Not the bed though, just our drawers, bedside tables, etc.

ETA: pointless post! ?

• Tizzie
    Beginner June 2012
    Tizzie ·
    • Hide content

We have a malm bed in dark brown. It was my husbands before we moved in but he'd just bought it so it had to come with us as it matches my dark brown furniture. At first I hated it, I couldn't keep my pretty mUch new mattress as it was too small, the bed was too low and I keep bashing my legs/stubbing my toes on the sides. After a year and a bit though, I am getting use to it. The height feels good for the bedside cabinets (although I woke up once with my head resting on the cabinet?!) it's too low to get anything underneath - no clutter! And I got a memory foam topper and it's so comfy. I love it!

• loobylou1979
    Beginner February 2011
    loobylou1979 ·
    • Hide content

http://m.dreams.co.uk/amelia-ottoman-bedstead/

We have this wooden bed-very sturdy and great for storage too.

• loobylou1979
    Beginner February 2011
    loobylou1979 ·
    • Hide content

You're very welcome ?

The reviews for it are spot on. We've got the king size and had it for 3 years now and it's still as good as new. Let me know how you get on!

• S
    SunnyBrownConfetti95371 ·
    • Hide content

I bought my wedding bed from https://www.britishbedstore.co.uk and it they upgraded my mattress for free as a wedding gift. Mention you're getting married and they will upgrade your mattress too.

• R
    RomanticPinkConfetti35902 ·
    • Hide content

There are a lot of online shops where you can buy something you like!

But for me ,i don't like beds for sure.

I live like a minimalism life and can really live with only a matress!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics