Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

NewYearRose
Beginner December 2012

I overhead two women at work bitching about me earlier...

NewYearRose, 2 of March of 2012 at 13:34 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 66

... and I'm really quite hurt by it.

One of the women is an administrator ("Jane"), the other is a junior buyer ("Anne"), and they both started at the same time so are quite pally.

Anne is 32, so seven years older than me, but she has only been working in buying for 18 months. I started at 21, after I graduated, so this is my fourth year.

In February, I was promoted to assistant buyer, as a colleague left and it's this they were first bitching about. Basically, they seem to think that as Jane is older than me, she should have been promoted, despite having less experience than me.

However, they proceeded to get really personal, and mocked the way I talk ("plum in mouth syndrome"), the way I look ("she's rather horsey isn't she?") and on Jack they said, "he must only be marrying her because her family has a bit of money."

At the time, another colleague (my line manager) had left the office for something, so it was only them and me in the office. They clearly forgot I was there, as I'm not normally in on Fridays, but due to staff holiday they asked me to go in this morning to help get an important job done. As I was sat at my desk, they couldn't see me, because the office is L-shaped and I'm sat round the corner in the smaller area of the room.

When my manager came back, she thanked me for coming in and helping her this morning, and said I could go now. When Jane and Anne realised I was there, I heard Anne mutter, "oh crap."

Anyway, my reason for posting, is I just wonder if anyone has experienced anything similar? Or if anyone has any advice on how to handle this?

So many questions are running through my mind, such as, 'what do I say if they say anything to me on Monday', 'if they don't say anything, should I say something to them' and 'could (should) I report them for it?'.

Any words of advice most welcome. Be as brutally honest as you want.

Thanks.

66 replies

Latest activity by Natalie2011, 6 of March of 2012 at 12:35
  • E
    Beginner December 2011
    eternallyme ·
    • Hide content

So sorry that you had to go through this - it really sucks when work colleagues behave like this.#

Personally, having been on the end of work place bullying, I wouldn't let it lie.

When you go in on Monday I would make it very clear that you heard what they said and advise them that if they have an issue with why you got the job they should take it up with the manager, tell them there is nothing wrong with pronouncing your words correctly, I don't know if you are horsey or not (I am a bit horsey with big teeth so I would just say yep, I'll let you have that one, thanks for stating the obvious) and then round it up with 'Jack's marrying me beause I'm great in bed and he loves me! Then tell them to grow up!'

Or alternatively just mention it to your boss so that she/he can monitor the situation and also support you if it happens again!

• T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content

Ooooohhhhhhh!! If I had heard work colleagues bitching about me I would have walked straight over to them mid conversation and asked what their problem was.

There is no way I could have sat and listened.

It's clearly, jealousy and you'll probably get people on here say to rise above and all that clap trap but there is no way that I could.

• BumbleBrat
    BumbleBrat ·
    • Hide content

I'd have confronted them there and then, once they'd finished, they'd have been mortified. Nothing worse than bitches.

• 1234ABC
    Beginner
    1234ABC ·
    • Hide content

Jealousy is a nasty thing to have to deal with.

I'm quite sure that they are quite mortified that they got caught. I would just smile and be nice as pie and tell them that Jealousy is a gorgeous colour on them! Smiley smile

People who b!tch about other people usually don't have anything good going for themselves and the only way to make themselves happy is to bring others down.

Rise above it hun! Your are superior to them in more ways than just the promotion!

Also! My favourite retort is 'If you have something nasty to say about me. Write it down on a piece of paper, roll it up, and shove it up your ar5e, because i don't give a sh!t!!'

• NewYearRose
    Beginner December 2012
    NewYearRose ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I wanted to get up and say something, but I just seemed to freeze at my desk.

Then when my manager said I could go, I just got out as quickly as I could.

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content

Oh that sucks NYR. I know it's easy to say 'don't take it to heart' but it would upset me a lot too. That said, I do think it's just normal office bitching- they clearly have nothing else to do and are just jealous of your promotion. Regardless of how old she is, she missed out on the promotion because you were the better candidate - that's life!

I wouldn't approach them about it (well actually, I probably would but I think that is the wrong thing to do! ?). They know you overheard and they probably feel bad about it as although they were having a little moan I doubt they wanted to upset you. If they do mention it (which I doubt they will) I would just tell them that's it's forgotten about and you want to move on. I wouldn't make a formal complaint - it sounds like just a petty little moan between friendw which, let's face it, we all must be guilty of once in a while and making it formal could make things a whole lot more uncomfortable. These people are just work colleagues. Yes, you need to have a polite and professional relationship with them but you don't need to be friends.

Re. the personal comments aimed at you, they are nasty and hurtful but they are absolutely not true. I've seen pics of you and you are beautiful. Fact. They are just jealous old bats who have got sour grapes because you are everything that they are not.

• T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content

32 is NOT old HT!

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Haha no it most definitely is not, in my defence I was interrupted mid-post by a phonecall and thought I'd read they were older... I shall edit ?

• jojo2
    Beginner June 2012
    jojo2 ·
    • Hide content

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but I would have recorded them on my phone if the conversation went on long enough.

I wouldn't have been able to leave wihout letting them know I heard them though and watch them grovel. It is a shame people have to resort to bitching about other people they clearly do not really know. Jealousy is a nasty disease.

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

How rude! What awful people.? I'd be very upset if that happened to me and too shy to go and say anything to them.

I would go and speak to your manager though. I don't think bitchiness like that is acceptable in the workplace. Like JoJo says, write it down while it is fresh in your mind and then go and see her on Monday morning. I don't know if you want anything done particularly - I'm not sure I would, but at least it will have been noted.

And there is nothing wrong with speaking properly either! It just shows you do your job well Rose, as they clearly can't find fault there and have resorted to petty remarks about your appearance and fiance.

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Indeed.

Some people seem to need to put others down in order to make themselves feel better. Be grateful you're not one of those, NYR, they'll be the ones left wanting, not you. It can't have been nice though so have a hug.

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content

This I'm afraid. You need to deal with these things at the time.

I know it's not nice, but think of it this way. They must be really jealous of you to say those things.

• Panjita
    Beginner May 2011
    Panjita ·
    • Hide content

It's so hard to know what to do and I am very guilty of letting people get away with these kinds of things so I can't really offer any advice.

What I can say though is that I have said things about people in the past that I don't really mean, be it that I am trying to make someone else laugh, trying to make myself feel better, feeling a bit narked with that person for one reason or another or it may be that i am just in a foul mood. So from that angle I would say, try not to take any of it to heart (although i am not sure I could follow my own advice here!) because they probably don't even mean it. It just sounds like sour grapes because you are younger in a more senior position, something which you should be very proud of.

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hadn't seen this before I posted, but this! People who belittle others always do so out of insecurity or jealousy. Fact.

• (Claire)
    Beginner July 2011
    (Claire) ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't make a big deal out if it to be honest, show you are better than them by ignoring it. You'll probably find that they'll go out of their way to be extra nice to you and they will feel much worse than you do. You get talked about all the time in life, not you personally I mean all of us, you were just unfortunate to over hear it.

• T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content

All of you who said you would ignore it are a much better person than me!

• NewYearRose
    Beginner December 2012
    NewYearRose ·
    • Hide content

I knew I would get wise and impartial words on here, that's why I posted.

If I spoke to friends, they'd take it as personally as I have, and their advice could possibly be clouded because of that.

Now I've managed to "get it all out" and calm down a bit, I'm starting to think a bit more rationally (in part due to the advice on here), and I think I will leave it this time.

• Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content

I would still make a note of what was said and be prepared to keep a record from now on, just in case you do decide to talk to your boss about it in future.

• Panjita
    Beginner May 2011
    Panjita ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I feel the opposite. I would love to be able to stand up for myself and hold my own in a confrontational situation without turning into a blubbering mess.

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content

If they do it again, I'd go straight up to them and say something along the lines of "I heard that!" and leave it at that, if you can. Firm enough to tell them you're not going to take any cr@p from them, but not agressively so that it starts an argument.

• Chidders
    Beginner June 2012
    Chidders ·
    • Hide content

I would handle things differently as work than I would in my personal life.

I would have walked passed them so they knew I had heard and then not mentioned it again. They will feel worse than you do, and totally what Cricks and RB said.

Anyone that has to put someone else down only shows insecurity. I have only pity for such people.

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This. If you do end up making a formal complaint in the future, you'll need a proper note of what has happened previously. Time and date too.

• T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I've always been good at standing up for myself. I'm also quite fiery so know for a fact if I heard someone talking about me at work I would have stood up and gone up and stood by them until they noticed me. I would still act professional but they would "get it".?

• NewYearRose
    Beginner December 2012
    NewYearRose ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes I will be mentioning it to my manager, to make a note of it, I meant to put that.

I've had a look at the relevant section in the employee HR guide, and it says, "you can report an incident to your manager for noting but request it not be taken further at this stage" and it goes on to say, "we advise you to do this, should there be further incidents, which would then require action to be taken."

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You could tie them to their chairs with pink ribbon! I'm sure I still have a spool of that somewhere!

• Panjita
    Beginner May 2011
    Panjita ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My emotions always get the better of me and no matter how hard I try not to, if i am really angry I just cry.

• T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

No blue ribbon, pink's for girls and I'm well 'ard.

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I meant more from a law firm perspective!

• T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ahhhhhhh I see!

• Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Sounds like the best way to deal with it. Your manager will be aware but it won't cause awkwardness, and you at least get to air it to someone.

I'm rubbish at standing up for myself. I always end up getting really worked up then crying!

• freckles87
    Beginner May 2013
    freckles87 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I agree this would be the best way to deal with this. I think I'd have probably done the exact same as you. I'd like to think that I would confront them, but I can imagine I would have frozen too. And it definitely sounds like jealousy to me.

I once heard my future SIL and one of my friends saying stuff about my OH in a pub toilet when they didn't realise I was in the cubicle. I couldn't even say anything then, and I'm actually close them! I told them a couple of days later, they were really apologetic!

• Pinky6
    Beginner June 2012
    Pinky6 ·
    • Hide content

It's just 2 jealous women who would never have the balls to say any of that to your face, I wouldn't let it get you down.

My boss once text me on my day off asking me to come in and do some meaningless chore which was by no means my responsibility yet would have taken me about 3 hours to do, I said no as I was busy (which I was) but at the time I was actually in the restaurant having a light lunch with my mum. He didn't realise this and came charging downstairs bitching about me to the other manager saying I had to commitment to the place blah blah. The funny part was when the guy he was talking to actually pointed out I had probably heard every word I had said so he soon scurried off without even bothering to come see me. I was fuming.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics