Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

C
Beginner June 2023 Cambridgeshire

i think my dream wedding dress is too similar to my friends

Cal, 14 of July of 2022 at 19:19 Posted on Planning 0 6
I’ve recently been dress shopping which I thought I would dread because I hate usually hate my body in most things. I ended up finding one particular dress which I felt really comfortable and pretty in, I couldn't believe it fit my shape.

When I got home I started to think I had seen it somewhere. When I checked a recent wedding of my friends a few weeks ago I realized it is very similar. Both off the shoulder classic wedding dresses. The one I like is obviously a different designer, slightly different material and the skirt is more a line, hers was more fitted.
I can’t work out what to do, whether to start again? Our weddings will be a year apart. She is a close friend but we live in different countries so don’t see each other often.
What would you do?

6 replies

Latest activity by RomanticGreenStationery27135, 17 of July of 2022 at 10:03
  • H
    Expert November 2022 Lincolnshire
    Hayley ·
    • Hide content

I think your first paragraph about feeling really comfortable and pretty in it tells you what to do. Don't worry about her or anyone else comparing, it's your dress & your wedding so you are entitled to wear what you like.

• Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    If you felt it was for you as soon as you put it on then its the one. who cares what people say its your wedding your getting married not them get it and enjoy putting all your plans together x💗
  • Megan
    Savvy May 2023 Derbyshire
    Megan ·
    • Hide content
    I honestly don’t think it matters - lots of people like similar styles and I wouldn’t mind if a friend had one similar to mine! As long as it’s not the exact dress I don’t think that’s a problem at all, go with what you’re comfortable and happy in!
  • L
    Dedicated September 2023 Derbyshire
    Lizzie ·
    • Hide content
    You're fine. Lots of dresses have the same motifs, and it isn't the exact same dress, so go for it and have a brilliant day x
  • Emily
    Dedicated February 2023 Hertfordshire
    Emily ·
    • Hide content
    I don't think it matters as you are friends and so while there will be some guest overlap, not enough for people to make comparisons. Also, a year is a long time. Add in different flowers, season, accessories. No one will even think its similar, just a beautiful bride in a fabulous dress x
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

Even if all the guests at her wedding will also be at yours, I don't think it will matter. I can't remember the details of any brides dress more than a few months after the wedding - I'll remember that she looked beautiful & happy, and perhaps the general style (strapless/sleeves, long/short, a-line/ballgown), but unless a dress is a real one-off, I wouldn't realise if two brides a year apart wore the identical dress, never mind a similar one. (In fact, I did go to a wedding where the bride wore a wedding dress that she had borrowed from another girl - the former bride was there, and most of the guests were the same. And the only reason we knew it was the same dress was because they told us! Different bride, different flowers, different accessories and styling - all made it look like a different dress)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics