Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

K
Beginner September 2021 Nottinghamshire

I'd love to get married in a church but I'm not religious...

Kerry, 9 of December of 2020 at 16:24 Posted on Planning 0 17

I just think churches look so much nicer than the typical places where you have civil ceremonies. But I'm not religious at all. Am I the only one? I've found the perfect place for a reception but I'm really struggling to pick where to have the ceremony!

17 replies

Latest activity by Kerry, 21 of July of 2022 at 15:02
  • ExpensivePinkFlowers63608
    Savvy April 2021 Somerset
    ExpensivePinkFlowers63608 ·
    • Hide content

As pretty as churches are, if you're not religious, why get married there? Your ceremony will be full of religious stuff. Couldn't think of anything worse. I went to a religious funeral and it was AWFUL, more about god than the actual person who had died.

• PhotographybyBillHaddon
    Super January 3000 Leicestershire
    PhotographybyBillHaddon ·
    • Hide content

From what you say it sounds like you can not have your ceremony at your reception venue. Instead of a Church or register office Check out some local manor house/hotel wedding venues as some are happy to accommodate just the ceremony on its own.

• Romanticpurplediamonds32382
    Dedicated April 2022 East Riding of Yorkshire
    Romanticpurplediamonds32382 ·
    • Hide content
    Alot of people get married on church even if they aren't religious, you just got to make sure you have lived in the area the chruch is for a few years, if you want a church wedding go for it Smiley smile i love churches as the stain glass windows but we opted not to have it at an church as we arent religious and it was too formal for us
  • April21Bride
    Rockstar July 2021 West London
    April21Bride ·
    • Hide content
    Personally I find it odd that you’d marry in a church without being religious. If you marriage isn’t going to have God at the centre of it why say your vows there. You wouldn’t/couldn’t at a mosque or synagogue....

I’m Christian but my fiancé isn’t so we are getting married at a London townhouse and having Christian readings as a compromise.
    There are plenty of disused churches in the U.K.- I can name 2 in London and Leeds where you could have a ceremony - are there any near you?
  • K
    Kerry ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I’ve said why. I don’t know why people are asking when I’ve said exactly why so I’ll give more detail. I like the buildings. And I like pews, not those crappy steel chairs that most wedding venues have. Simple as that. I appreciate a nice building, always imagined walking down a church aisle. Guess that’s hard for some to understand.

• April21Bride
    Rockstar July 2021 West London
    April21Bride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I think we all understand why you want to.

I’m just saying I find it odd and a bit disrespectful to those of religious faith. If you put a statement out you run the run the risk of people disagreeing with you.

• R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

As far as I'm aware, most if not all churches will allow non believers to marry in their buildings, but you will have to have the Christian marriage service (e.g. promises to God) and may be very limited on your choice of music/readings. You may also find that you will be expected to attend a 'marriage preparation' session or sessions. (These can be really helpful though, looking at areas that can cause conflict in marriage, how to resolve them, good communication etc and most of them are written to be suitable for people of all faith backgrounds.)

It might be worth speaking to someone at your local church to see what they offer and what, if any, restrictions would be in place. Then you can decide if you still want to go ahead with a church wedding under those circumstances. Otherwise, I suggest looking at a barn conversion wedding venue - converted barns often have a church-like feel with the high roofs and stone walls.

• J
    Beginner July 2022 Dorset
    Jade ·
    • Hide content
    I'm not overly religious but LOVE church weddings and we've booked our church. When we met with the priest in 2019, he asked how we wanted the ceremony "Very religious or modern church" and we opted for modern with readings and what not, which you can choose. I've been to a church wedding where they weren't religious either and it wasn't too bad, it's how YOU make it and how YOU want it. As long as you have the readings they're happy
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

it's how YOU make it and how YOU want it. As long as you have the readings they're happy

Oooo on that one from my experience it mostly depends on the individual vicar, most are great but some - mainly the older ones I have to say can be - well - old school and what THEY says go's.

And don't even think about trying to get away with All things Bright And Beautiful and Morning has Broken as your Hymns. Smiley laugh

• J
    Jade ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ohhhhh Yessss some Vicars are a pain luckily ours is our own Religious Studies teacher so she's excited. We have chosen our hymns and well both of them are our choices but I might them change now... ??‍♀️?
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Smiley xd Smiley xd

I find its certain ones that can be fussy and you may get away with having one but not both.But your Vicar sounds fine. Also I know some of my past couples have thought they could get away with just one Hymn by way of making it less religious --- problem is the Vicar will just talk for longer instead. Smiley shame

• J
    Jade ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Exactly! We've chosen two readings and 3 hymns I'd rather that than pointless talking. My brother in laws vicar rambled and was irritating ? he made the bride and groom feel awkward you could see it on their face. Some of them aren't too keen on kids being around either I've noticed
  • M and M
    Rockstar August 2025 West Midlands
    M and M ·
    • Hide content
    I'm not religious really either but methodist churches are very welcome to this!
  • D
    Missouri
    Dany ·
    • Hide content

Even if you're not religious. Making your wedding memories in a church seems to be the best choice, for me, churches are perfect sceneries for a wedding.

• A
    East London
    Austin ·
    • Hide content

A Marriage is a traditional institution, just like Churches. It was instituted by God in order for two people to form a family. Churches are where God is worshiped. So your intuitive desire to be married in a church is well placed. Marriages have more meaning when solemnised in churches because they are more than a legal contract. Church marriages are also covenants, as well as contracts. Though you are not religious, but in the right church environment, with the right officiating ministers, you will experience a deeper understanding and effect which should last through your lifetime.

• W
    East London
    Watergirl ·
    • Hide content

Edit - didn't realise it was an old thread

• K
    Kerry ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes I was wondering why on earth you were commenting now. I had a lovely wedding in a chapel by the way Smiley winking Laters.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics