Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Hayley
Dedicated August 2024 East Sussex

I'm really stuck

Hayley, 21 of June of 2021 at 12:13 Posted on Planning 0 14
So my issue is who's giving me away my birth dad hasn't been in my life long but he's coming to my wedding, if he walks me down the isle this will cause arguments same with if my stepdad walks me down the isle my question is, is it okay for my nan to give me away

14 replies

Latest activity by Hayley, 22 of June of 2021 at 14:40
  • Emma
    Rockstar August 2021 Wiltshire
    Emma ·
    • Hide content
    You can have whoever you want walk you down the aisle, you could have the postman if you wanted too.
    You just need to decide who YOU want.
    If your step dad brought you up and you see him as a dad then it would be understandable for him to walk you down the aisle. You mention that your birth dad hasn’t been in your life long, as the tradition is giving away your daughter to her new family then as horrible as it sounds, he kind of hasn’t earnt that right.
    If you do go with either one of your dads, maybe you could find a job for the other dad within the wedding. Like one gives you away and one does the speech, or the father daughter dance etc.
    I do think your Nan is a lovely idea though. As mums don’t not ally get roles within the weddings so it’s a lovely treat for her too ❤️
  • April21Bride
    Rockstar July 2021 West London
    April21Bride ·
    • Hide content
    My dad is coming to my wedding but I’ve asked my mum to give me away (she was horrified because of perceptions but I explained why - she raised me so deserved the honour). She’s also giving a speech (so am I and my MOH).

My dad will sit on the top table with us and he understands why. He’s just happy to be invited.
  • Hayley
    Hayley ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I've asked my nan today and she was really delighted my problem with picking between dad and step dad was the fact my mum hates my real dad and I hate my step dad
    Thank you ❤
  • Hayley
    Hayley ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That's a sweet idea and at least everyone is happy congratulations by the way
  • April21Bride
    Rockstar July 2021 West London
    April21Bride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you and same to you. The key point I guess is “tradition is something a dead person did” there is no requirement for anyone alive to do the same…. Do whatever works for you x
  • PhotographybyBillHaddon
    Super January 3000 Leicestershire
    PhotographybyBillHaddon ·
    • Hide content

What no one has mentioned is that you don't have to have anyone walking you down the isle. Or what about walk half way and stop then your groom/bride can walk down and collect you.

• Hayley
    Hayley ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That is a good idea but I try to be traditional.
  • Emma
    Rockstar August 2021 Wiltshire
    Emma ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh dear, yeah that would put you in a bit of a pickle.
    I love that your Nan was delighted ❤️ I bet she’s made up to be asked and it’s so nice for her to be involved. I’m also thinking what a lush photo that will be of you both walking in 🥰
    It’s going to be an amazing day for you. Congratulations.
  • Hayley
    Hayley ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks my lovely and yes definitely an amazing photo ❤
  • Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    I think your nan walking you down would be amazing and it would be such a special thing for her good have an amazing day x💗
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

I think it's lovely that you asked your nan - what a special memory for you both to have!

• Kayleigh
    Rockstar October 2023 Bristol
    Kayleigh ·
    • Hide content
    Aww, that's beautiful! 😍
    I was going to walk myself down the aisle, but I'm on speaking terms with my dad for the time being so have asked him. Will change that if need be though x
  • Hayley
    Hayley ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    It is hard picking someone to walk you down the isle especially with everything else as well x
  • Hayley
    Hayley ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yeah definitely was a tough choice but it work and both me n my nan are happy

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics