Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Jessica
Beginner June 2023 West Sussex

Inviting aunts and uncles to just the wedding reception

Jessica, 27 of May of 2022 at 11:29 Posted on Planning 0 12
Hi guys!

I’m having a bit of trouble and need some advice,
Neither of us talk to or see our aunts and uncles.Would it be awful of us to just invite them to the wedding reception?I’d just like it to be more of an intimate wedding and have people we are close to and have a close relationship with and who makes an impact on our lives? Rather than having people we haven’t seen for 12 or more years to the wedding? I know there family but we just don’t ever see them?
Any advise would be amazing!

12 replies

Latest activity by Kayleigh, 17 of June of 2022 at 18:50
  • A
    Expert July 2023 Cornwall
    Anonbride ·
    • Hide content

Honestly, I think that's totally fine.

I'm going to share a piece of advice I was given on guest lists that has become my mantra: "If you're not going to be running up to them screaming 'I just got married!!' then they shouldn't be on the list." Your wedding is not a family reunion, it's a celebration of your marriage with your favourite people.

We really want an intimate wedding too and for similar reasons the aunts and uncles just didn't make the cut - we're not doing evening only invites as our venues so far away, but if we had been we probably would have invited them to that part so I think it's a nice compromise if you can do that.

• R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

I think it's fine to only invite people you see regularly. It's different if you're having a 300 person wedding, but if you're keeping it small, then you have to be ruthless.

• Emily
    Dedicated February 2023 Hertfordshire
    Emily ·
    • Hide content
    Agree with the above. Your wedding, your way. If anyone asks why Aunt Mary and uncle Gerald aren't invited the answer is that its a small wedding and number restraints. Don't make it personal like we havent seen you in 12 years or that will probably just cause upset. I'm not inviting cousins for exactly that reason- no contact, connection or interaction.. The last time I saw them was my Grandads funeral a number of years ago. We will have lots of friends higher up the guest list than them as we see friends loads more and have loads more in common.
    Don't stress about it. X
  • Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    Stick to what you want its perfectly fine at the end of day the ceremony is for those that are really close the wedding is about what you both want not pleasing others they will be happy at the reception gives them time to party x💗
  • Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content
    We did this as my family is huge so the cost would be insane for a start, but like you, we don't really see them and had people we wanted in attendance more than them and wanted a small ceremony. We didn't have any problems and they understood that cost was a key factor, it is a hard one but it is your wedding sondonwaht you want and don't let others opinions sway you x

• Jessica
    Jessica ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you for your advice! You’re mantra has helped me! 💖
  • Jessica
    Jessica ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you! 💖
  • Jessica
    Jessica ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you!💖
  • Jessica
    Jessica ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you I really appreciate it!💖
  • S
    Savvy July 2023 Essex
    Sian ·
    • Hide content
    Yes perfectly acceptable and exactly what I’m doing doing too! I’ve been with my fiancé nearly 11 years and some of his aunts / uncles I’ve never even met (well I’ve been in the same room as them at a funeral once or twice but never spoke to them) so it was easy decision not to invite them as they’re essentially strangers to me.

I might not even invite them to the reception either but not sure if it might cause some controversy as we’ll be inviting the cousins so they’ll probably get a courtesy invite but we don’t mind whether they actually turn up or not.
  • Mrsjones2024
    Rockstar June 2024 Essex
    Mrsjones2024 ·
    • Hide content
    Invite who you want there. We’re having a small wedding through choice (30 people). I’m not inviting any of my cousins (we’re not close) but I am inviting my aunts and uncles (their parents) as I see them regularly. I don’t think that anyone will be offended but, if they are, I don’t really care…..weddings are expensive and I’m not paying for people I don’t see regularly or class as a close friend or family member.
  • Kayleigh
    Rockstar October 2023 Bristol
    Kayleigh ·
    • Hide content
    Nope. I'm not inviting any of my aunt's, uncles or cousins to the ceremony or wedding breakfast. Our kids, our parents, our siblings/nieces/nephews and a small handful of close friends is all that is coming. The evening is for everyone else xx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics