Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Storky
Beginner May 2011

Inviting famous people to your wedding

Storky, 21 of July of 2011 at 12:07 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 58

There seems to be a bit of a trend of doing this at the moment.

If I were famous and a random invited me to their wedding I think I'd be a bit 'WTF?! Do you not have anything better to do/waste your money on than inviting me?' I just don't get it. I'm not one for signatures etc though - someone got my hat signed by Flintoff when I was watching England in SW a few years ago and as far as I'm concerned they've ruined my hat now!

58 replies

Latest activity by Klaus, 3 of September of 2023 at 10:44
  • ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I didn't seriously invite anyone famous. I essentially asked for a good luck message on an RSVP card that I could give boy as a present. I'm not that deluded (and I hope it was clear in my accompanying letter) that I think they'd come. Or think I was for real.

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

I didn't even realise that you had, FTLOMB.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Sorry, thought I was gathered in the net of idiots who issue celebrity invitations (see other thread) Smiley smile

Here is my letter text:

Dear Mr XYZ,

I am writing to you on behalf of my soon-to-be-husband and myself.

Owing to a handful of declines for our forthcoming nuptial celebrations, I am delighted to extend invitations to your good selves, enclosed with this letter. Please excuse the presumptuous use of first names on the invitations, necessary for them to match those of our other guests (and consequently, satisfy my desire for order in this world).

I very much hope you will be able to join us to celebrate our marriage, although I understand that you may feel ambivalent about attending the wedding of a couple you do not personally know and with a group of guests who will almost certainly be staring at you at all day.

If it helps our cause in any way, we *insert some nonsensical titbit to demonstarte how much we like comedian*.

In anticipation of your response, I have included reply cards and stamped, addressed envelopes with the invitations. I would be grateful if you could fill these in and post them back. Although I hope you will all accept with pleasure, I would like to gently remind you that the formal etiquette in the case of a “decline with regret” would have you include a brief congratulatory message - may I suggest using the reverse of the reply card for any such message (although obviously, we would be grateful for best wishes in any format)? I am sure it would help to placate us if we need to confront the grim prospect of a wedding without you.

We look forward to hearing from you.

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

But why? That's what I don't get!

• T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content

What's my opinion? Bit weird...

• Tray1980
    Beginner July 2013
    Tray1980 ·
    • Hide content

I'm going to some baseball games this summer and next summer so will try and get some autographs for my OH then as I know he would absolutely love it, but personally I think inviting them is a step too far, but each to their own.

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content

I think if it was for the purpose of gettinga nice wedding message back on the RSVP, I would instead just write asking for a nice wedding message - although perhaps the invite prompts a reply more than a request for a message would? The only person/people H2B would appreciate one from is the Foo Fighters and think it would be unlikely that they would reply, so I wont bother.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Because I think it would be cute to have scribbles/pics/messages from people who make us laugh??? I have never gone in for "signed" stuff before - wouldn't even dream of buying signed memorabilia (unless it was Hendrix or something). But I quite like the idea of someone writing "Good luck E and J" or whatever, on a reply card. Or their PA doing so, in a way that we can't tell the difference Smiley winking

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content

Mr RB wants to invite Bon Jovi, and I don't think he's joking! But I've always known he's a bit footloop to be fair.

• Tray1980
    Beginner July 2013
    Tray1980 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

?

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

This is what I'm hoping. I've matched letters to the style of the comedian in the hope that it might just get me further up the pile of boring sh*t they have to sign. I'm pretty sure that it's clear the "invitation" part is a ploy?

• freb2reh
    Beginner July 2011
    freb2reh ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Would it really be so grim if you were not to hear from this guy?

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

No. It's a joke. I don't want any of them to come to our wedding, that would be wierd.

• Spangler
    Beginner September 2010
    Spangler ·
    • Hide content

What's a footloop?

I had a journalist who writes for the Times do a reading at our wedding, so by association, she's famous! I'm also famous as I have featured in two national publications. FACT.

• Rizzo
    Beginner July 2011
    Rizzo ·
    • Hide content

If you were famous, what would you think if you got an invite to some random person's weddding?

I didn't send any famous people wedding invites as I don't know any.

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Mr RB is a fruitloop/fruit cake/sandwich short of a picnic. Bless him!

• Spangler
    Beginner September 2010
    Spangler ·
    • Hide content

Is that a proper Southern word?

• (Claire)
    Beginner July 2011
    (Claire) ·
    • Hide content

Not sure I get it either, imagine if they did accept, it would be a huge distraction sorry for being self indulgent but I want all eyes on me and hubby to be on my wedding day, I think it would be very uncomfortable for whoever the celebrity was being leared at all day and hounded for autographs pics etc, I think the whole getting a message off them is a nice thought but as for actually inviting them to my wedding I find it all a bit mad and weird, thats just my opinion though.

• Spangler
    Beginner September 2010
    Spangler ·
    • Hide content

She's very famous in Outer Mongolia. She's like their version of David Hasselhoff.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'd think they were mental.

Can we be clear here though, I have not invited anyone of international reknown! Just slightly offbeat UK comedians, some of whom share hometowns/etc, who have a good reputation for returning fan mail and are generally regarded as "good guys".

Naboo should get the kind of people I mean.

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Not sure. I like to think that I made it up as I can't remember hearing it anywhere before! ?

• freb2reh
    Beginner July 2011
    freb2reh ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Think it would probably get filed!

• Spangler
    Beginner September 2010
    Spangler ·
    • Hide content

Red Barry, you are speeeeshul!

• knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content

We are kind of having a celeb at our wedding now I think about it. A friend of my h2b's is a DJ on local radio near where my Mum lives. Not massively famous, but some Stokies have heard of him... that's not why we are inviting him though!

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content

? I actually meant to write fruitloop and have only just realised that I didn't! Haven't a clue what a footloop is either, but I did make that one up, unintentionally!

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Me either, but I can hazard a f*cking guess at where it's going from now on....

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Oooh, just remembered that our DJ was part of a very influential "Madchester" band. Doubt my Mum will recognise the greatness of that though...

• Spangler
    Beginner September 2010
    Spangler ·
    • Hide content

Stroppy.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Mock-stroppy.

• Tray1980
    Beginner July 2013
    Tray1980 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Nah its one I've heard before - but you need to be careful how and where you use it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fruit_(slang)#Fruit_Loops

• Naboo
    Beginner
    Naboo ·
    • Hide content

Footlong, did you invite frankie Boyle? He would be awesome value at a wedding!

It never crossed my mind to invite anyone famous and I dont really get the autograph thing but apparently Mr Naboo does, this became apparent when he recenlty discovered that I had accidently thrown away a scruffy old book that I forgot he had autographed by the enitre Barcalona football team! (exasserbated (sp) by the fact that to his usual annoyance I never throuw anything away ever!) this resulted in me trailing round every branch of the charity store I always donate to as apparantly they justsend stuff on only to find 2 copie of said book both minus autographs! and finally in desperation i emailed Lionel Messi (OHs most missed of theautographs)a very grovelly letter stating my in incompetance in the vain hope he would sign something and send it back but alas he has obviously assumed I am some deranged stalker with a made up husband and not got back to me :-(

• Naboo
    Beginner
    Naboo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ooo who? I will proabably be impressed!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics