Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Storky
Beginner May 2011

Inviting famous people to your wedding

Storky, 21 of July of 2011 at 12:07

Posted on Off Topic Posts 58

There seems to be a bit of a trend of doing this at the moment. If I were famous and a random invited me to their wedding I think I'd be a bit 'WTF?! Do you not have anything better to do/waste your money on than inviting me?' I just don't get it. I'm not one for signatures etc though - someone got...

There seems to be a bit of a trend of doing this at the moment.

If I were famous and a random invited me to their wedding I think I'd be a bit 'WTF?! Do you not have anything better to do/waste your money on than inviting me?' I just don't get it. I'm not one for signatures etc though - someone got my hat signed by Flintoff when I was watching England in SW a few years ago and as far as I'm concerned they've ruined my hat now!

58 replies

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I am fully prepared for this attitude. I DID say I hadn't heard from anyone yet Smiley smile

I think boy would leave me if I threw away a book like that Smiley smile

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

So this is how it feels to be lonely....

• sapphire_22
    Beginner September 2011
    sapphire_22 ·
    • Hide content

There's an English tv programme from about 20+ years ago that for some reason became incredibly popular in my OH's home country. His family used to watch the entire series on video every xmas. When my OH moved to England he was so happy to learn that one of the stars of the programme lives in the town next to us(!). His whole family are very excited about the possibility of meeting this 'big celebrity' when they come over for the wedding, so OH was at one time (half-jokingly) suggesting that we send him an invite. We won't, but I might write to him and ask for an autograph as a wedding present.

I don't think celebrities find it strange when random people invite them to their weddings; they must get invited to loads of weird things - I'm sure they're used to it by now.

• Naboo
    Beginner
    Naboo ·
    • Hide content

I wasnt intending that as a dig footlong, it was more in reference to the (in retrospect) rather desperate and ass kissingly stalkerish tone of my plea as opposed to your light hearted request

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

I didn't view it as such, all is well here... Smiley smile

• Naboo
    Beginner
    Naboo ·
    • Hide content

Wow! maybe ask him not to play that tune tho ;-)

thankfully although the book was thrown away before the wedding he didnt realise until after or im not so sure it would have gone ahead!

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Did it go into the bin? Or given away?

• Naboo
    Beginner
    Naboo ·
    • Hide content

Not sure, some went to a my parents and a friend (whose book shelves I have vigerously checked) some to charity shop and the really scraggy ones went in the bin so could be either!

• judeclarke
    Beginner October 2011
    judeclarke ·
    • Hide content

It started out as a joke - we were making our guests list and it went:

Who do we need to invite ? listed all the relatives etc

Who do we wnat to invite? Cousins, work colleagues, friends from <wherever>, the DJ off the radio...

So my OH said 'Do you think he'll even bother replying?', and I said I'd had replies before from another presenter, we might just get a 'thanks but no thanks' reply, at least we'll be able to say we invited him.

So I sent a very tongue in cheek email, and I got a very nice reply saying thanks for thinking of him, wishing us good luck and he asked me to send a photo of our big day. I never expected in a million years that he would come to our wedding (at least not without going through his agent and booking a personal appearance!)

But if it's good enough for some yank squaddy to invite a famous actress to a ball...

• yummymummy05
    Beginner November 2010
    yummymummy05 ·
    • Hide content

I invited someone famous to my wedding. i dont see whats wrong with it

• knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

what show?

• Panjita
    Beginner May 2011
    Panjita ·
    • Hide content

KV - WHO IS THE MINOR STOKEY CELEB?!!?!?

• Rizzo
    Beginner July 2011
    Rizzo ·
    • Hide content

Jonathan Wilkes!

• Panjita
    Beginner May 2011
    Panjita ·
    • Hide content

Ha ha ha ha ha, is it actually him?

• Rizzo
    Beginner July 2011
    Rizzo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Dunno.

• Panjita
    Beginner May 2011
    Panjita ·
    • Hide content

I really hope it's Sam Plank or Legendary Lonnie.

Edit: Oops, just googled Sam Plank and turns out he's dead!

• sapphire_22
    Beginner September 2011
    sapphire_22 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You Rang M'Lord? I had never heard of it until FPIL made me sit through the entire box set, but it was on **** so I would still have been quite young when it was first aired in UK.

• Panjita
    Beginner May 2011
    Panjita ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I remember, it was all the cast from Hi-De-Hi (if anyone is old enough to remember that?). My friend is a massive Hi-De-Hi and You Rang m'Lord geek. He knows all the cast and is really good mates with Su Pollard, so if there is anything I can do to help get something signed for your OH's family, I'll try!

• Houdini
    Beginner August 2010
    Houdini ·
    • Hide content

I had a minor (v minor) local sleb at my wedding. He was my DJ and paid to be there though...

Best Man was starstruck by him! ?

• NikiST
    Beginner July 2011
    NikiST ·
    • Hide content

We had two small-time celebrities at our wedding.. but we actually know them and were invited to their wedding in 2009. Inviting people you don't know just because they're famous, whatever your actual intention, is a bit weird.. Maybe just be upfront and ask for a nice message from them instead of actually inviting them?

• sapphire_22
    Beginner September 2011
    sapphire_22 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Panjita, that's really kind of you! I know I'm only an internet weirdie but if you would be able to help me get some autographs through your friend I would be eternally grateful ?. I remember Hi-De-Hi, my dad used to watch it incessantly when it was on.

• skyrocket
    Beginner July 2012
    skyrocket ·
    • Hide content

I have a few celeb guests for our wedding but I do actually know them. I've worked in the music business since I was 16 and some of my good friends are famous.

I think celebs often get paid to do personal appearances so I expect there is probably a trend in people booking a celeb for their wedding in the same way we book TOGs and DJs

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Am I the only one who is really curious as to who your famous friends are?

• skyrocket
    Beginner July 2012
    skyrocket ·
    • Hide content

Ha ha I could never say!

They range from Tv presenters to pop stars and one of them had a film made about him recently. Just people though same as you and me.

• Mynnie the Moocher
    Beginner May 2011
    Mynnie the Moocher ·
    • Hide content

KV - I'm with Panjita and am dying to know who your DJ friend is........and wondering if this is gonna turn out to be a 6 degrees of separation moment?

Panjita - are you a closet Stokie too????? (am excited that I've possibly discovered my 2nd Stokie H'er in as many months!)?

• Klaus
    Beginner November 2022 West Midlands
    Klaus ·
    • Hide content

Thank it is the best what i read

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics