Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

moonpie1985
Beginner July 2012

Is it a rule to have wavy hair if you are having it down on your wedding day?

moonpie1985, 17 of March of 2012 at 16:24 Posted on Planning 0 31

I am searching far and wide for wedding hair inspiration.

I have come across hardly any where it is straight hair. Seemingly everyone gets married with wavy hair!

Has anyone got any straight inspriation for me?

31 replies

Latest activity by Kriek, 19 of March of 2012 at 00:30
  • *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content

Loads of brides seem to be having the 'loose curls, half up, half down, with a bit of volume on top' Like this:

It is done to death now. Go for straight for refreshing change!

Personally, I think an up-do add an air of elegence that having your hair down can never do. But I am sick of seeing the haif-up, half-down curly job on all wedding blogs and reports. So go for straight!

• becomingmrsevans
    Beginner August 2012
    becomingmrsevans ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I have to agree - all my friends had the half up, half-down curly job with a tiara despite them all having naturally straight hair. Yes, it did look beautiful on most of them, but I have naturally curly hair and have decided that I don't want to look like all other brides so I'm going for a loose side bun with a hair comb instead. At the end of the day you have to go with something you are going to be happy with and that will still be brilliant/comfortable at the end of the evening.

• Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content

Not at all, I will be having mine up and wavy but thats because thats what my hair is like. I don't see why people with straight hair go to all that effort to curl it when theres nothing wrong with having it straight!!

If it's good enough for Reese....

• I
    Beginner January 1999
    irrelephant ·
    • Hide content

I think i'm having mine straight and down. If I wear a veil I might pull some of it back just to hold the veil in properly, otherwise it just slips out of my hair.

• SassyT
    Beginner August 2013
    SassyT ·
    • Hide content

I'm having the same issue with bun styles. I have a fringe, have no intention of getting rid of it (I look awful without one) but 99% of wedding bun pictures have ladies with no fringe.

I'm just going to wait and see till I have a hair trial!

• jojo2
    Beginner June 2012
    jojo2 ·
    • Hide content

I am having the style Duckybum is fed up of seeing as it suits my face and the headband I plan to wear. I will have to bore you with it in my report I am afraid.

Straight hair looks just as lovely Moonpie1985, just see what suits you best at the trial and go with it.

• T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content

I also had a boring hairstyle. I must have looked a right boring state on my wedding day.

• Tracy2012
    Beginner June 2012
    Tracy2012 ·
    • Hide content

My hair is naturally curly so i won'r be straightening it for my wedding. That and it takes about 2 hours to do, so its curly half-up do for me.

• loobylou1979
    Beginner February 2011
    loobylou1979 ·
    • Hide content

I wore mine down and straight, just as I do every other day. For me it was important not to have to worry about the curl or up do falling out during the day:

http://boundlessphotos.com/blog/2011/05/07/walton-hall-wedding-photography-louise-and-david/

• Charlie-Lou
    Beginner June 2012
    Charlie-Lou ·
    • Hide content

I too, am one of the boring ones, this is what I'm having.

I think you should have whatever suits your hair.

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content

My hair looks at it's best, down & wavy. Mr RB loves it this way too. That's how I'll be having it. Got to show my mane off!

• Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

How bloody rude!

• Blonde Viki
    Beginner July 2012
    Blonde Viki ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's what I was thinking... I don't understand why you would acknowledge that a particular style is popular, then go on to say something quite so disparaging about it. It's obviously going to offend people! You're entitled to your opinion, but there's no need to express it so rudely.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Hmmm I must admit, it's never occurred to me to think of wedding hairstyles in the way of 'boring' or 'interesting'.

I agree that way of thinking can be applied to lots of other aspects of weddings but to me, hair is hair. You go with what looks good?

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content

It's not rude! I haven't said it doesn't look lovely. I have merely said that it doesn't excite me personally, mainly because it is the style of choice currently and so it is everywhere. I love to see when something bucks the trend and stands out. I read a lot of wedding blogs and reports and it does just seem the hairstyle 70% of brides have at the moment. I get a bit excited everytime I see a bride with a non-full length, or non-strapless dress too. Just saying.

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content

I personally am sick of seeing it, because I like a bit of variety and inspiration. However I haven't said anywhere that all the ladies who choose that hairstyle don't look great with it.

• Blonde Viki
    Beginner July 2012
    Blonde Viki ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I take your point, and like I said, your opinion in itself isn't the issue. It's just you said you were 'sick of seeing' this hairdo and referred to seeing it in wedding reports. I feel that expression is rude when you acknowledge that the majority of people like the style, because your on a forum where a lot of people will have had/are having that style. You can say you like alternatives without dismissing the popular choice. I take from what you've just said you didn't mean it like that, it's just how it came across to me.

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content

I'm sorry I sounded like a moody mare!

I just have a soft spot for people who a brave enough to do/wear unique styles. That doesn't mean I don't appreciate the traditional white weddings too (mine is pretty normal!) I just wanted to get the point across that the OP doesn't have to follow the trend of curly hair. Like she said she was finding hard to find non-curly hair-do's.

• T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content

Just because I had a wavy half up/half down 'do' didnt make me a wimp! I tried various styles and this is the one I liked the best. Just saying.

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I never said it was a boring hairstyle. They are your words.

And no, of course you aren't a wimp for choosing that hairstyle, it's just what suited you, and happened to be on trend and obviously suited a lot of other people too as it has been chosen so many times. I just like to see something different once in a while too.

• ebony_rose
    Genius
    ebony_rose ·
    • Hide content

I wore my hair down and straight on my wedding day. That's how I usually wear it, so wasn't going to change for my wedding day.

I'm not a fan of the half up, half down look either.

• spikeygoodness
    Beginner
    spikeygoodness ·
    • Hide content

I have some of the thinnest hair in existence, when I have it down and straight you can see my ears through it. I went with half up half down loose curls and it looked fab, I don't care that it was the same as everyone else has, I had a traditional wedding for the most part, so plenty of what I did was the same as everyone else had anyway. It's obviously not a rule to have it wavy though, do whatever you like and makes you feel your best.

• vebec19862
    Beginner June 2012
    vebec19862 ·
    • Hide content

Im having mine up because i usually have mine down and straight on a day to day basis so wanted to feel a bit special and different. i think having your hair curled is a lot of faf in day to day life so thts why people tend to go for it

• cookiekat
    Beginner August 2012
    cookiekat ·
    • Hide content

I hope it's not a rule, my hair isnt long enough for that?

I'm going with this hairstyle (mostly as with hair as short as mine you dont get much choice!)

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

I have naturally straight fine hair and am going for the half up half down with curls as it is likely to be the only day in my life when I get a professional to work on it so it actually holds a curl! I was going to have straight but in the end thought I really wanted to look different at my wedding, and don't give a flying fig if it looks boring/classic.

• Figs
    Beginner June 2012
    Figs ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Snap! ?

• Pinky6
    Beginner June 2012
    Pinky6 ·
    • Hide content

*Raises hand*

Boring one here too.

• Kriek
    Beginner December 2012
    Kriek ·
    • Hide content

I've been thinking the exact same thing recently! I'm wanting to wear my hair down and it's naturally really straight but I have hardly seen any photos of brides with straight hair. Though I worry about my hair looking a bit flat so need some sort of inspiration for a bit of volume.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics